Something different - Friction Folder

Miroku_Dave

I thought I’d try something different this time so I’m trying for a UK legal Friction Folder. 

Ive made a few templates out of card and I think it’s going to work 🤞🏻

Im using Juma (my favourite handle material!) in a desert camo pattern with black G10 liners and Corby bolts. I think I’ll need to put a bit of loctite on the bolts to stop then coming loose but I’ll work that out when the blade is done. 

I’ll be cutting the blade out on the angle grinder tomorrow and going for a test fit before heat treat.

ill keep you updated 👍

535305E8-477D-4951-A6F5-F2CAC7235159.jpeg

16 hours ago, Miroku_Dave said:

I thought I’d try something different this time so I’m trying for a UK legal Friction Folder

Ive made a few templates out of card and I think it’s going to work 🤞🏻

Im using Juma (my favourite handle material!) in a desert camo pattern with black G10 liners and Corby bolts. I think I’ll need to put a bit of loctite on the bolts to stop then coming loose but I’ll work that out when the blade is done. 

I’ll be cutting the blade out on the angle grinder tomorrow and going for a test fit before heat treat.

ill keep you updated 👍

535305E8-477D-4951-A6F5-F2CAC7235159.jpeg

Way is it not possible to make it a lockable blade? I don’t particularly like folding blades that don’t lock for obvious reasons.

6 minutes ago, old'un said:

Way is it not possible to make it a lockable blade? I don’t particularly like folding blades that don’t lock for obvious reasons.

I wanted to attempt a fully legal every day carry knife mate. 

If it works properly the elongated spine will be plenty long enough to prevent it closing by accident (I Hope!) 

I don't quite have the level of engineering expertise yet for a lock knife but one day ill get there :-) 

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Much as I love these threads, a feeling of inadequacy comes over me as they progress.🤣

I feel the same looking at the groups on Facebook mate, i'm extremely critical of my own work but i'm glad other people enjoy my efforts :-) 

When you say everyday knife is that outdoors, shooting/fishing etc, or one you can take anywhere, urban streets/towns?

Never quite understood this law of lockable or non-lockable.

To carry a knife in public without good reason – unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife.

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

I carry a folding lock knife when out shooting and I know a few old boys who have always got their Opinel locking blade knifes in their pocket wherever they go.

18 minutes ago, old'un said:

When you say everyday knife is that outdoors, shooting/fishing etc, or one you can take anywhere, urban streets/towns?

Never quite understood this law of lockable or non-lockable.

To carry a knife in public without good reason – unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife.

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

I carry a folding lock knife when out shooting and I know a few old boys who have always got their Opinel locking blade knifes in their pocket wherever they go.

Yeah something I can carry without fear of prosecution mate. 

Im a squaddie when I’m not making knives and I always have a knife kicking about my person at work or exercise. I’ve forgotten a few times and thought I would be stuffed if I got searched! 

Luckily knife crime is low on the agenda in the leafy North Yorkshire villages so I’m pretty safe I think!? 

16 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Sorry if this comes across as a bit numb, but....is the issue with the blade automatically locking.?   Like in a leatherman/gerber. Or is it the fact that the blade can, if required, be locked......e.g. opined?

Must admit I also fined it odd that you can have a 3 or 4 inch fixed bladed knife but you cannot have a 3 or 4 inch bladed knife that can be locked when open, lock-knife.

I like a pocket folder with a very strong spring to keep it open, so it takes some force to get it to start to fold closed. Almost like a assisted opener the spring takes over as it opens so far and almost locks it there. Friction or gravity knives are fine with a locking mechanism.

Edited by figgy

With regard to the law and it's stupidity, look no further than the makers of such law on display last night in the Houses of Parliament.   Like rifle calibre law, I can have an 8mm no problem ...thats 0.323 of an inch, but I cannot have a .375 calibre ..... .052 inch larger.   Personally I consider any knife which will not lock to be a danger. I have the scars from the Lambs Foot knives I had in my youth as proof.

On 06/09/2019 at 14:19, Gordon R said:

Much as I love these threads, a feeling of inadequacy comes over me as they progress.🤣

how can you say that ..when you show those beautifully re-built bikes you have worked............thank god everyone is different..:good:

there is nothing inadequate about anyone one here....(save a few brexit posterteers..:lol:)