Blackpowder

Yep, Mrs.C has an acitfry that we she uses regularly. Won't have my favourite sausages cooked any other way, good for oven chips and loads of other stuff too. In fact we're on our 2nd. There are some plastic bits such as the lid and the pan rim that can break if you're ham fisted with them. Replaceable but SWMBO wanted a new one. Think ours was about 100 ish. I didn't quibble as I've been buying rifles.

Gave £40 for mine out of B+M , its a good size (4 decent portions of chips) Its fast (5 mins for chicken nuggets) with virtually no warm up time.
Very easy to clean , no steam or smell to speak of, I would definitely buy another, but this is still going strong a year on.

Mine is the weight watchers brand, but I cant see that that makes any difference.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/weight-watchers-hot-air-fryer-3-2l-330745

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

We had one years ago, and it was ok but I wouldn’t rave about it. When I explained to daughter we’d bought it so we could eat healthier chips, she asked ‘Who wants healthy chips?’ Fair point I thought. 🙂

I use oven chips in mine with extra oil !
Cant really tell the difference if you toss them every 5 minutes, come out lovely and crispy too.

Wife has a twin level one, she likes it but I'm not fussed on how things taste out of it. Fried crispy chicken does come out crispy.

I wouldn't call them fryers more like hot air cookers, a spoon of oil is not frying.

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, Scully said:

We had one years ago, and it was ok but I wouldn’t rave about it. When I explained to daughter we’d bought it so we could eat healthier chips, she asked ‘Who wants healthy chips?’ Fair point I thought. 🙂

:good: youve got to die happy....100%

My grandfather ate slices of bread daubed with home produced lard.....I used to beg for the bottoms.... and he lived to 84yrs. 

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

:good: youve got to die happy....100%

My grandfather ate slices of bread daubed with home produced lard.....I used to beg for the bottoms.... and he lived to 84yrs. 

👍 Frying pans ain’t what they used to be either! As a lad and still living at home, I use to make a fry up in a pan which had fat in it which had been around since Jesus’ dog was a puppy! You could tell it had a history just by looking in the pan, and eggs without ‘bits’ in weren’t worth eating! 😀

On a serious note, OH’s Uncle was a huge man; what is nowadays considered clinically obese. He was very active and died around four years ago at the age of 94 and had just enrolled on an IT course. He left his body to a University  hospital for medical research but they declined it for reasons unknown. 🤔

Up here, if you are running your fryng pan properly, you start it off with a bit of lard, then the fat which comes out of the lorne, means you occasionally have to tip some out to not end up deep frying, and as eggs, french bread and tattie scones remove oil by absoprtion, cooking more lorne adds it back.

Used to run it for months, before I got married, now wife is desperate to clean it after every use, really miss the flavour as the 'healthy vegetable oil' used by the wife is just not the same.

33 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Up here, if you are running your fryng pan properly, you start it off with a bit of lard, then the fat which comes out of the lorne, means you occasionally have to tip some out to not end up deep frying, and as eggs, french bread and tattie scones remove oil by absoprtion, cooking more lorne adds it back.

Used to run it for months, before I got married, now wife is desperate to clean it after every use, really miss the flavour as the 'healthy vegetable oil' used by the wife is just not the same.

🙂 I feel your pain. 👍

5 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Hi all does anybody here use air fryers, considering getting one as fed up with oily surface on deep fat fryer and waiting time for oven chips.  Are the cheaper models between £30 and £40 any good, or do I need to go for one nearer the £100 mark.

Blackpowder

That's funny BP, waiting time for oven chips? 15 minutes aint long. P.S. try LIdl steak cut chips, they are excellent!

12 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

That's funny BP, waiting time for oven chips? 15 minutes aint long. P.S. try LIdl steak cut chips, they are excellent!

Talking about home cut chips here, 15 mins turn them over then another 15mins to crisp up.   

Blackpowder

15 hours ago, Scully said:

👍 Frying pans ain’t what they used to be either! As a lad and still living at home, I use to make a fry up in a pan which had fat in it which had been around since Jesus’ dog was a puppy! You could tell it had a history just by looking in the pan, and eggs without ‘bits’ in weren’t worth eating! 😀

On a serious note, OH’s Uncle was a huge man; what is nowadays considered clinically obese. He was very active and died around four years ago at the age of 94 and had just enrolled on an IT course. He left his body to a University  hospital for medical research but they declined it for reasons unknown. 🤔

Know well what you are saying there.  Back in my youth living with grandparents one black frying pan on an open fire, home cured bacon lots of lovely grease from it.  Frying pan got washed when the tar from the open fire became a bit thick.

Blackpowder

19 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Know well what you are saying there.  Back in my youth living with grandparents one black frying pan on an open fire, home cured bacon lots of lovely grease from it.  Frying pan got washed when the tar from the open fire became a bit thick.

Blackpowder

My Grandma ( who had the fabulous name Fanny! ) used to cook rice pudding in an old tar encrusted pan wedged into the front of the fire. There would be a blob of butter in there and the pudding would just bubble away. Fabulous! I can also remember pigs trotters boiling in a pan, with which she would then make potted meat. My Dad would almost kill for potted meat. 🙂 Wonderful stuff! 

Thanks for all the replies folks, was not looking for healthy options just something a  bit quicker.  I hate to think of the cost of home made oven chips when you take into account oven heating time over and above cooking time.  Will be pursuing the net and having a look in local Currys this weekend.

Blackpowder

We use a tower one & have done for around 2yrs now and it works fine the only -ve is you have to shake or turn what ever your cooking on a regular basis say every 5-8 mins to get them evenly cooked .

We mostly cook frozen chips in it (no oil added to fryer) and they come out spot on but we have done a few more things in it S.F.chicken cooks nice as do most things we've tried in it 

I think it was around the £40 mark