Nobodyimportant - Hurricane Dorian.

Penelope

Certainly horrendous out on the Islands. Reports for the east US coast are not that serious but still life threatening.  Big problem is one or two nasty tornados have been developed out on the fringes of the hurricane and you have to see one of those to experience the danger. We drove across the Texas Pan Handle one evening and saw the edge of one about 10 miles away. Considered an about turn but fortunately it moved away west and we had just a bout of heavy rain.  I can't imagine the force needed to cause the devastation seen in the Abacus Islands.

Thanks for the well wishes.  We are riding it out at our house near Charlotte.  It been windy here but nothing bad.  I pretty sure we are going to loose our home down on the coast.  I saw news reports of houses destroyed at OakIsland wich is one island north of where my coastal place is and destroyed houses one island south.  Living here it’s something that happens from time to time.  This will be the third total loss home we have had.  You get used to it but it’s annoying every time it happens.  We brought our boat back and put our chairs in the building. No point in worrying about it because you can’t change the outcome. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

15 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Main thing is , your safe and you can rebuild- better still, the wife gets to choose all new decor

Yep.  We don’t keep insurance on the place at the beach because it’s to expensive.  So we never keep nice furniture or anything.  We always buy new stuff for our main house and dump the old stuff at the beach or mountain house.  There isn’t anything of value at the coast anyway except a few guns and a rare antique surfboard.  It’s a grandfathered lot so the land is 95 percent of the value.  I do have some beautiful angle oaks and palm trees, I hope the house didn’t damage them when it blew away.  

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Yep.  We don’t keep insurance on the place at the beach because it’s to expensive.  So we never keep nice furniture or anything.  We always buy new stuff for our main house and dump the old stuff at the beach or mountain house.  There isn’t anything of value at the coast anyway except a few guns and a rare antique surfboard.  It’s a grandfathered lot so the land is 95 percent of the value.  I do have some beautiful angle oaks and palm trees, I hope the house didn’t damage them when it blew away.  

Main house, beach house and mountain house? Don't ever plead poverty on here again!...........As I said before "paleface speak with forked tongue" lol!

Glad you and yours are safe! 👍

10 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

These are houses I saw on the news and are the same county but are in a neighborhood 10 miles of the coast.  My place is about 300 yards from the coast so I’m not wasting my hopes on it being there. 

3715D03D-6756-46BD-A4B9-55B58CA4CDB9.jpeg

Blimey, talk about different worlds. Our wheelie bin got blown over once and it took days to get over the trauma.

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Main house, beach house and mountain house? Don't ever plead poverty on here again!...........As I said before "paleface speak with forked tongue" lol!

Glad you and yours are safe! 👍

Taxes come every year!  😂.  Judging from what I have seen on that international house hunting show your guys homes probably cost 5 times what I paid for everything I own.   On the show its like Meet Jack and Jill,  they live in the UK and are looking for a 2 bedroom flat.  He sells curtains door to door and she is a stay at home mom.  Their budget is 3.2 million.  

We are blessed with cheap property and work opportunities that throw money at someone that’s willing to work.  Everything you see on liberal media about the crumbling  American Dream is false.  You can survive on one income just like the in the 50s.  In the 50s. people didn’t build 5000sqft homes and drive 75k dollar trucks.  The problems you see on media are self inflicted.  The complaints are from people who took out loans to live off of while spending 8 years in college getting a degree in underwater basket weaving.  Then they complain that they can’t get a leadership position at a underwater basket weaving factory.  So they work at a coffee shop and pay their 200k in student loans.  Then they get on their $1500 Iphone a tweet blame at President Trump because their 5000sqft house and BMW got foreclosed.   I am a 35 year old family man that was cast out of highschool for being to violent.  I bought my first mobile home and paid it off with 70 hours work weeks in two years.  Then I rented it out and lived in a caravan for a year and bought our nice house with a 80% down payment.  I paid the remaining balance in two years.  From there  I swore that I would never hold debt again.  After a few years I was fishing a lot at the coast and hotels where eating me alive.  So I found a moble home walking distance to my favorite fishing pier.  The lot is what we called grandfathered as we can put mobile homes on it with septic tanks even though we are technically to close to the ocean but since the lots had mobile homes before the ban they can always have moble homes on them.  I bought my place for the cost of the lot and gutted the home and rebuild it myself.  I bought it with cash. These lots second block back go for under 100k. I am firmly below the poverty level but I’m not afraid to work and I don’t buy above my means.   When this farm came up foresale l loved it.  I am getting a good deal as farmland is a hard sale in the US as banks won’t lend on them without a house on the property.  So someone like me that is a cash buyer gets it for a good deal.  I only could free up about 80% of what I needed but I have excellent credit so I took a personal unsecured loan for 25k so from the sellers perspective it’s a all cash purchase. I will pay this loan back over the next year.  But in a pinch I could pay it off as I keep large amount of cash on hand as I buy and sell Classic cars on the side( wich also is cash only hobby) Long story short I’m not that well off.  I won the lottery on location, I’m not a retarded liberal, and I’m not scared of long work days.  My house 30 mins closer to Charlotte would be 500k so I live outside of Charlotte in the country and commute 40 minutes in.  Because I refuse to indebt myself to a bank.  Though technically I due own the bank 25k right now for the farm but I do have the cash on hand so I don’t worry about it.   Sorry for the long post 😂.  

Love it well done a man after my own heart regarding work and debt. I had the chance to move to the US about ten year's ago, I would have had enough cash to buy a house in Washington and to buy or open a business. As I had a US resident as a sponsor it would have also been fairly straight forward. The worst mistake I have ever made is not do it. 

Edited by sportsbob

2 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Taxes come every year!  😂.  Judging from what I have seen on that international house hunting show your guys homes probably cost 5 times what I paid for everything I own.   On the show its like Meet Jack and Jill,  they live in the UK and are looking for a 2 bedroom flat.  He sells curtains door to door and she is a stay at home mom.  Their budget is 3.2 million.  

Sounds about right ..😉

good luck fella

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

We are blessed with cheap property and work opportunities that throw money at someone that’s willing to work.  Everything you see on liberal media about the crumbling  American Dream is false.  You can survive on one income just like the in the 50s.  In the 50s. people didn’t build 5000sqft homes and drive 75k dollar trucks.  The problems you see on media are self inflicted.  The complaints are from people who took out loans to live off of while spending 8 years in college getting a degree in underwater basket weaving.  Then they complain that they can’t get a leadership position at a underwater basket weaving factory.  So they work at a coffee shop and pay their 200k in student loans.  Then they get on their $1500 Iphone a tweet blame at President Trump because their 5000sqft house and BMW got foreclosed.   I am a 35 year old family man that was cast out of highschool for being to violent.  I bought my first mobile home and paid it off with 70 hours work weeks in two years.  Then I rented it out and lived in a caravan for a year and bought our nice house with a 80% down payment.  I paid the remaining balance in two years.  From there  I swore that I would never hold debt again.  After a few years I was fishing a lot at the coast and hotels where eating me alive.  So I found a moble home walking distance to my favorite fishing pier.  The lot is what we called grandfathered as we can put mobile homes on it with septic tanks even though we are technically to close to the ocean but since the lots had mobile homes before the ban they can always have moble homes on them.  I bought my place for the cost of the lot and gutted the home and rebuild it myself.  I bought it with cash. These lots second block back go for under 100k. I am firmly below the poverty level but I’m not afraid to work and I don’t buy above my means.   When this farm came up foresale l loved it.  I am getting a good deal as farmland is a hard sale in the US as banks won’t lend on them without a house on the property.  So someone like me that is a cash buyer gets it for a good deal.  I only could free up about 80% of what I needed but I have excellent credit so I took a personal unsecured loan for 25k so from the sellers perspective it’s a all cash purchase. I will pay this loan back over the next year.  But in a pinch I could pay it off as I keep large amount of cash on hand as I buy and sell Classic cars on the side( wich also is cash only hobby) Long story short I’m not that well off.  I won the lottery on location, I’m not a retarded liberal, and I’m not scared of long work days.  My house 30 mins closer to Charlotte would be 500k so I live outside of Charlotte in the country and commute 40 minutes in.  Because I refuse to indebt myself to a bank.  Though technically I due own the bank 25k right now for the farm but I do have the cash on hand so I don’t worry about it.   Sorry for the long post 😂.  

Well done mate, youv'e worked hard and reaped the reward.

Hope everythings well with you.

You are exactly what your country and ours needs, people who are willing to work hard, long hours and not sat around waiting for a hand out.

I count myself as lucky to have what I do own, but it is built on working 60 - 80 hour weeks. The lucky part is being the right man for the job at the right time and taking a calculated risk now and again.