Funny old game!

Scully

Further to my abysmal performance at Warren Gill on the Bank holiday ( mate pointed out all scores were well down on previous dates however, but that doesn’t excuse my poor performance ) we drove up to Westlands Thursday evening. 

Always believing I shot better with tight chokes I put 3/4 and full in the same gun I’d used at Warren Gill, and the difference was very noticeable. Thoroughly enjoyed both stands of the high tower, with consistent convincing breaks. Struggled on a quartering looper; found it then lost it again, and back to normal on the rabbits, which I really enjoyed; good breaks even on sim pairs ( til I got tired!😀) and even blitzed them both with one shot a couple of times....it was obvious where to put your shot to achieve this as there was a raised lump in the mat where everyone had been trying it!🙂

Really enjoyed it; confidence back where it should be, and both eyes open! Still going to put on an ‘aid’ when I get the chance as I’ve been here before! 

New building now almost completely out of the ground and we found a cracking little pizza place on the way home. We like pizza! 👍

11 minutes ago, figgy said:

Sounds like days most of us experience, up and downs. 

I’m with you there, I’m just not consistent at all and can’t work out why. A friend and I went down to mill ride a few weeks back and we just couldn’t miss. We mixed up the lot as it was very quiet, did some DTL, Skeet, sporting and even managed some convincing breaks on the vertical teal, left feeling good. Went back a few days later, not changed a thing on the guns, couldn’t hit anything....both of us. 

To get consistent takes lots of practice, not just shooting for fun with mates. Doing the same thing everytime you step in to cage. Going through your routine as you load look mount etc.

Shooting a couple of times a week and concentrating, it's feels like second nature after a while and your dips in shooting are only small. Might card a mid 80's instead of low 90's.  Shoot too much and you lose focus.

I wanted to do well years ago and shot lots till hurt back, now I shoot to enjoy it and still like to do well and on some days I do. Others well some are best forgotten 😆

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, figgy said:

To get consistent takes lots of practice, not just shooting for fun with mates. Doing the same thing everytime you step in to cage. Going through your routine as you load look mount etc.

Shooting a couple of times a week and concentrating, it's feels like second nature after a while and your dips in shooting are only small. Might card a mid 80's instead of low 90's.  Shoot too much and you lose focus.

I wanted to do well years ago and shot lots till hurt back, now I shoot to enjoy it and still like to do well and on some days I do. Others well some are best forgotten 😆

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that.  Back in my younger days I was shooting clays at least twice a month, and I know others who nowadays are shooting at least twice a week; they are as good as you'd expect them to be. Nowadays I only get out usually once a month at the most, and it's not competitive shooting in the true sense. I'd like to do better but don't have the time to commit to practise, but would just like to be more consistently back at a level which didn't disappoint. 

Scully I think most of us are the same, time, costs, age and injury all take there toll on how much we can get out shooting.

I find I swing between favouring game and wildfowling shooting and don't bother with clays. Then go the other way only shooting clays. Getting back to being ok again, then get bored of it.

Yeah, I’m primarily a live quarry shooter Figgy, as are most of my mates. Living in my former rural home town I could get out shooting on an almost daily basis, just mooching around the fields, so it kept my hand in so to speak. 

I’ve never been one to leave my guns in their cabinet between seasons and when asked by a mate to go on the clays with him I really enjoyed it. I would settle for being as consistent on clays as I usually am on live quarry.

I know I’m not going to win anything; I’d just settle for coming away satisfied with my performance rather than seeming to go backwards. 🙂

More you think about more it will affect you. I went out on clays today, shooting well then missed a daft one in front. Done same on it across all five stands on Sportrap asked trapper for another and broke it halting my lead. Frustrating as heck.

Next Sportrap layout bit harder layout, shot over a going away clay not once but twice. Told I was over the top by my mate a good shot but couldn't stop myself pulling trigger, made a effort to get further below and broke it. Missed in front today on a few clays or over the top.

Went out on the marsh for this evening's flight thinking not shooting my best today. Flushed two ducks both dropped with two shots. Later missed two and then nailed a third spot on.

Just one of them hero to zero days.

Edited by figgy