Anyone got a car with ApplePlay and no factory fitted satnav?

ilovemyheckler

I am looking at buying a new car, probably an L200 but when I visited a local dealer I was told that they don't come with factory fitted satnav's just ApplePlay which they claimed was better as it was always up to date.

I have never heard of ApplePlay (I do have an iPhone X) so I would be interested to know if it is better. What about when you don't have a phone signal which can be an issue for me as a lot of my work locations are rural.

Satnav has always been a priority for me in a car but maybe I am behind the times!

Any info welcome

Thanks in advance

Drove one the other day 

tbh i hated it 

no phone signal =google maps goes out so no satnav 

Who’s data is it using ?

no safety camera alerts 

Probably illegal for you to use your phone when driving 

any text or WhatsApp flash up on the screen 

And  it’s keyless 

we wont go there 

and as it’s logged in to your phone someone knows exactly where you are or how fast you’re going 

and im sure some smart person would be able to get your bank details of the phone while you’re driving 

hope this helps 

ohh best find a positive 

it was a nice colour 

I have it in my L200.  Mixed thoughts really, I find it very good for responding to texts (using voice) whereas otherwise texts must be ignored unless you stop.  Hands-free is good too.

Not been too troubled by lack of 4G to run it, usually only an issue when you try to set up your route where there is zero signal, never had a problem with it failing on the move.

If your cable for the iphone is not great or muck in the phone charger point then you are knackered.

If you are considering buying a an off road 4x4 it seems to me your are looking at the wrong extras on the truck . You should be looking at a well made ,tough robust ,reliable off roader . You won’t go far wrong with an l200 ,or any of other 4x4 pickups . There are many after market sat navs and blue tooth phone connections out there that can be fitted in minutes .

harnser

14 minutes ago, Harnser said:

If you are considering buying a an off road 4x4 it seems to me your are looking at the wrong extras on the truck . You should be looking at a well made ,tough robust ,reliable off roader . You won’t go far wrong with an l200 ,or any of other 4x4 pickups . There are many after market sat navs and blue tooth phone connections out there that can be fitted in minutes .

harnser

Sadly it’s the new l200 that’s equipped with the apple play 

Personally I have a new L200 and apple play, I think it’s a massive step up as far as sat nav is concerned. Ok it uses data and you need to be in an area with some available but that’s the only downside.  It’s always updated traffic comes up as do speed limits and camera alerts.  It runs off the usual maps or google maps if you prefer.  If you have Apple Music then it plays anything, you can use Siri from the steering wheel and ask it to navigate to wherever you are after.  You can plan a route on your phone and when you plug it in and start up it’s ready to go.  We have just had 10 days in Cornwall on holiday and music and sat nav use over that has been about 4gb so not massive and that’s intensive use.  Total thumbs up from me

Apple CarPlay, with google maps and waze = the future, simple. For those that have issues with connection download offline content. 

Google maps and WAZE gives you live traffic, and I mean live traffic, unlike the TOM TOM or onboard sat navs, Google maps uses live data/telematics from mobile phones traveling the country providing you with accurate traffic data. Coupled with WAZE gives you traffic alerts/speedcam/road works. 

IMHO there is No competition, I’d expect manufacturers to rethink onboard sat nav in the future...watch this space 

Edited by TK421

11 hours ago, TK421 said:

Apple CarPlay, with google maps and waze = the future, simple. For those that have issues with connection download offline content. 

Google maps and WAZE gives you live traffic, and I mean live traffic, unlike the TOM TOM or onboard sat navs, Google maps uses live data/telematics from mobile phones traveling the country providing you with accurate traffic data. Coupled with WAZE gives you traffic alerts/speedcam/road works. 

IMHO there is No competition, I’d expect manufacturers to rethink onboard sat nav in the future...watch this space 

+ 1, We both have Waze & Google Maps running in my Suzuki's.Would never bother with factory Nav ever again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/09/2019 at 22:38, Harnser said:

harnser

You've completely missed the point; he's buying a new truck, and he was asking for any experience of the fitted system.  If you're spending £30k+ on a vehicle, you should expect a decent level of equipment, including the Sat Nav to be at the very least usable.  Why should he have to look to the aftermarket?

A truck which, in your own words, he won't go far wrong with, so QED.

To the OP; as of Friday I own a 65-plate L200 which doesn't have Carplay, and let me tell you the Mitsubishi radio/ICE/Sat nav system is utter garbage.

I did test drive a new one though (but couldn't justify the extra £££), and the Car Play performed as expected.  So my advice is get the Carplay!

As a bit of background: I'm in and out of hire cars in mainland Europe on a fairly regular basis, and Carplay really helps, as it allows me to plan my route on the computer the night before, send it to my phone, and then I connect it to the car and the route appears before me, in English, and it is aware of the traffic situation and can react accordingly.  If nothing else it saves time and 'faff'.

If you're worried about low-reception areas, I believe both Waze and Google Maps app will allow you to download the maps for 'offline' use.

All of this means that I am currently looking at aftermarket options to fit Carplay to my new-to-me L200.  I should be able to pick up a suitable head unit and adapter harnesses for about £300 all in.