Clay gun for around £2k.

Lloyd90

My brother in law is looking for a new dedicated clay gun. 

Sadly he has no interest in shooting game. 

He normally shoots sporting clays and recently shot and enjoyed skeet. 

We have never shot DTL or other types. 

He has a rough budget of about £2k but could be flexible.

He currently owns and shoots a Silver  Pigeon 687 sporter from the late 80s.

He would consider either a semi auto or an OU. 

Thanks 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest he spends some time trying to find one that fits well as each brand has its own quirks.

I ended up with a CG Summit Sporting as a dedicated clay gun (70mm chambers) which sits about a budget of £2500.

Patterns well with most cartridges as chokes are appear well made and appear balanced without too much centre bias.

Edited by Stonepark

Keep the gun he has now & choke it up more for dtl perhaps. Buy a cheap skeet gun second hand if it isnt for him after having a good go then it doesent really matter there was a lanber on here for £200-250 the other day 26inch barrels skeet & skeet  ...spend the rest on cartridges beer & pork scratchings 

Question, why does he have to spend 2k plus on a clay gun, to impress those around him, or to feel good in himself.

And as usual we get the “what he needs is a Benelli, Beretta, Browning syndrome, why l’ll never know, yes they’ve made nice guns in the past but they are not the be all end all.

As suggested the Lanber, a very underrated gun, or a Lincoln Premier in the right hands will produce the required results without having to spend a fortune, and also leave enough in the bank for lessons and cartridges.

And of course the regulation fit is everything.

1 minute ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Question, why does he have to spend 2k plus on a clay gun, to impress those around him, or to feel good in himself.

And as usual we get the “what he needs is a Benelli, Beretta, Browning syndrome, why l’ll never know, yes they’ve made nice guns in the past but they are not the be all end all.

As suggested the Lanber, a very underrated gun, or a Lincoln Premier in the right hands will produce the required results without having to spend a fortune, and also leave enough in the bank for lessons and cartridges.

If that was true then surely everyone would be using Lanbers and higher make / more expensive guns wouldn’t sell? 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

If that was true then surely everyone would be using Lanbers and higher make / more expensive guns wouldn’t sell? 🤷‍♂️

That is of course the choice we have.

Do YOU really believe the higher the cost the better YOU are.

ln my case l think not, l’ve seen people turn up on a Sunday morning with 10k’s worth of gun on their shoulder and hit sweet FA.

But then that’s their choice of course.

9 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

That is of course the choice we have.

Do YOU really believe the higher the cost the better YOU are.

ln my case l think not, l’ve seen people turn up on a Sunday morning with 10k’s worth of gun on their shoulder and hit sweet FA.

But then that’s their choice of course.

No, I think the gun shoots where you point it. 

But my silver pigeon is much nicer to shoot than my side by side which kicks much more. 

A bloke at the clay ground today passed me his gun, it was loose as anything, I thought if I shook it it might fall in half. He told me he absolutely loved it and shot his best with it. 

Great for him but I wouldn’t of wanted to own it, yet he was very happy. 

For £2k you are in the ballpark of a secondhand Browning 725 pro sport or ultra XS prestige. I would also agree with Miroku MK38. If he likes Beretta why not a used 682 gold e as this is still regarded a classic, or stretch the budget a bit and try a DT10.

I would stick to the ‘big 3’ with this budget personally and get the best he can afford. Try as many as possible - what fun!  👍

1 hour ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Got drawn into this hype myself shot a browning 525 at the clay ground 28inch multi/multi hit well with it majority of people preach browning , beretta be all and end all obviously being new into the sport & having little experience of guns you do in a way get moved in this direction. I do own a browning 525 sporter it's a very very good gun so I am in no ways slagging it off i enjoy shooting it & it will more then do me for what i want . But when people speak of a budget & its around the £1000-1500 upwards mark the majority of people instantly say browning/beretta. In my opinion no dont do it buy a Lanber buy a Lincoln buy a old miroku learn to shoot first or learn to shoot the discipline the gun is design /set up for 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Some people buy three thousand + guns and blame it on the gun , cartridges, choke & gun set up & wind where as someone on a £35 have a go day might be able to shoot better then them. Go on gun trader & find a nice 5-10k gun chances are it will be on there for a good while ...go find a good condition recent  miroku, browning, beretta for sub £800 and watch how long it is on the website .  

Buy what fits and what he can afford, even up the budget to a used DT10, why not? Residual values seem stronger for this level of gun, so when he gets the inevitable upgradeitus he can flip it and get into something else without loosing a penny. Yes it’s all about fit, and hitting the clays, but I’d also add there is the ‘owning’ of a shotgun also, which can be equally as enjoyable as smashing the clays. Similar to why we all drive different cars for different reasons, the reason why we see some hand wash there pride and joy every Sunday and those that bang it through the Morrison’s scratch wash. 

Each to their own own I say, what’s most important is he enjoys spending his money on what he wants, you can’t please all the people all of the time.....

good luck, enjoy the hunt 😉

11 hours ago, Stonepark said:

I ended up with a CG Summit Sporting as a dedicated clay gun

I handled one of those a few weeks back at Ian Cooleys. I have not paid that much attention to CG, they always looked the business in the racks. I have to say it’s an astonishing bit of kit for the money, and that seems to be the general theme for CG. 

Have a think about the gun i have  some may disagree.  Its a Bennelli 828u . And why do i recomend it , well its a gun you can adjust yourself  , works on the shim adjustment like an semi auto . Its lovely and light i shoot light loads 28 gram Hull comp x . No kick at all . The reason i got it was , i did not want to have to pay silly money to buy a gun and have it fitted,  plus there is no one near me for many miles who does gun fit . I have altered it a couple of times , as i have altered in myself . Lost weight . Had a Miroku mk 38 . Beautiful gun , loved it . But was getting to heavy for me . Good luck in the pursuit  . 

I must admit to being tempted by a browning b725 Pro sport as a dedicated clay gun. It seems to have everything for the serious claybuster, and would suit your brother in laws budget if he is prepared to go second hand. If he must have new, you can't beat a miroku mk38 in my experience, the best clay gun pound for pound. Doesnt really matter about the grade, but I'll admit that there are some really nice looking pieces of wood on the grade 5s. Of course, his budget won't stretch to a grade 5 if he wants new. 

18 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Considering possibly a Miroku MK38 grade 5 as an option. 

Avalon Guns has just had a loads of guns added to their new shop at Mendip shooting ground, we are hoping they may allow us to try some before we buy. 

Very heavy numb handling front heavy guns. Mates have had them and grade 6 ones. In 30" and 32" most went to Geurini accent summit apex things the dedicated clay guns with all the changable bits in. Much better guns out there.