Clay gun for around £2k.

Lloyd90

I've had about a dozen new competition guns over the years,mainly Brownings but tried most of the popular brands.Ive learnt that in terms of performance there is very little to choose between them,if I had put a quarter of the money  spent on guns into tuition I would be a better shot now with more money in the bank.Having said all that pleasure of ownership has always played a big part of me changing guns,I have enjoyed high grade Browning and Mirokus and full on competition Brownings,I have ended up with a gun that offers a little bit of each and is in that c£2k price range.I have now got a Beretta 686 Evo 30" Sporter,great wood,great barrels and multichokes and a nice 'competition ' styled action.I shoot it as well as anything I've had in the past and for me it offers the right combination of performance,reliability and style.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Lord v said:

Is that down to the gun or down to how 'seriously' someone wielding a £300 Lanber is likely to take his clay shooting though? 

The lanber won’t stand up to the amount of cartridges a serious clay shoots.  Secondly the gun’s don’t quite handle as well as some of the ‘better’ names.  

there a good gun (I’ve 5 as coaching guns) but  they won’t stand up to hard use, I’ve shot 2 to bits in 3 years from new. 

Surely the Berettas last a good while due the interchangeable trunions and top u joint some also have replaceable shoulders. The dove shooting places use them along with semi autos.

I know of one fella shoots a lot and buys a new Browning 525 grade one every two to three years depending how much he's shot and how loose it's gotten, swaps his high grade fitted wood over then sells the used gun with the  new woodwork fitted. Looks nearly new but done lots.

The new Guerini clay gun might be a good option for you WW since it's designed to shoot at least a million carts.

1 hour ago, Perazzishot said:

Remember another thing, the lighter the gun the more recoil and more wear and tear on internal components!

Hence why the Miroku's, Kreighoffs, Perazzi's, C&G, some Browning and The odd Beretta fit that bill.

At the top end 1 malfunction (not misfire) can be the difference between win and loss.

Not everyone can hold a heavy gun , so light gun , light loads . 

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Surely the Berettas last a good while due the interchangeable trunions and top u joint some also have replaceable shoulders. The dove shooting places use them along with semi autos.

I know of one fella shoots a lot and buys a new Browning 525 grade one every two to three years depending how much he's shot and how loose it's gotten, swaps his high grade fitted wood over then sells the used gun with the  new woodwork fitted. Looks nearly new but done lots.

The new Guerini clay gun might be a good option for you WW since it's designed to shoot at least a million carts.

Yep a Beretta will last around 300,000 they are the main stay at almost all shooting schools and high user areas.