Clay gun for around £2k.

Lloyd90

There are too many to mention out there; all down to personal preference really. 

I know a lot of people who shoot with Sporterised Trap Mk 38’s, ( mate has two of them ) also the fixed (?) choke Mk 60’s, one who has a Benelli 828u, numerous SP Berettas etc etc. 

Try as many as possible before buying, pick one you like and then learn to shoot with it. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

I have 2 also Scully and picking up a pair of dedicated fibre wad custom Miroku XLRs next week! 

Have never owned a Miroku, but have shot with quite a few. The Mk 38 always seem to come up bang on the button each time ( but so do my 101’s ) so perhaps it’s only a matter of time? 

12 hours ago, Bobba said:

Lloyd,

I've a hardly used Silvere Pigeon Sporter 1 30" barrel adjustable stock I'm thinking of getting rid of. Get touch if interested. It seems we're both Bristol based.

Bob

Unfortunately Bobba, we both already have a SP sporter each, so not sure it would scratch the new gun itch. 

3 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Biggest load of **** I've ever heard!

Don't beat about the bush just say what you mean.

In my opinion they are a numb lump and very front heavy, I'm not the only one to think so. The very latest ones have lighter barrels. The older ones in the price range of the op I find are awful terrible top lever over sharp checkering ohh and did I say front heavy. I did didn't I, to the point a friend of mine cut sheet lead to fit between his but pad and gun to try and get it to balance better. That was a 32" grade 5 with dark nice figured wood.

3 hours ago, button said:

Is that the Gilsan special edition?

Yes 👌

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Don't beat about the bush just say what you mean.

In my opinion they are a numb lump and very front heavy, I'm not the only one to think so. The very latest ones have lighter barrels. The older ones in the price range of the op I find are awful terrible top lever over sharp checkering ohh and did I say front heavy. I did didn't I, to the point a friend of mine cut sheet lead to fit between his but pad and gun to try and get it to balance better. That was a 32" grade 5 with dark nice figured wood.

In total I have 4 MK38's all G5 and all balance perfectly, one I'll admit I had to add lead to the FOREEND all fitted. The 2 sporterized trap are my go to clay and game guns.

Perazzishot the latest Browning's and Mirokus I find are very nice to hold and very well balanced.  Much better than the new Berettas.ive had hold of . I've had a few of both over the years. Never got on fully with the Browning's and like the older Berettas for better fit.

So Perazzishot your the fella who has bought the last pair of XLR's. Nice matched pairs too in nice leather case. You keeping the choking or having them opened up ?

Edited by figgy

9 hours ago, figgy said:

Perazzishot the latest Browning's and Mirokus I find are very nice to hold and very well balanced.  Much better than the new Berettas.ive had hold of . I've had a few of both over the years. Never got on fully with the Browning's and like the older Berettas for better fit.

So Perazzishot your the fella who has bought the last pair of XLR's. Nice matched pairs too in nice leather case. You keeping the choking or having them opened up ?

Ordered them in January arrived last week. Not sure if they were the last pair.

Planning on getting them teagued. But will try them 1st. Personally I think full is tight and prefer 5/8 and 3/4

Maybe last pair in shop, he used to have half a dozen pairs in and some singles. 

Nice guns but I'd have them opened up from full and full unless they patterned well with a few different carts.

I like the Browning crown but extra 1k for basically the same gun with half and half chokes.

38 minutes ago, figgy said:

Maybe last pair in shop, he used to have half a dozen pairs in and some singles. 

Nice guns but I'd have them opened up from full and full unless they patterned well with a few different carts.

I like the Browning crown but extra 1k for basically the same gun with half and half chokes.

I’m sure that mirouke pattered the guns before they put them on the market 

awfull lot of people shooting full and extra full chokes these days 

however having a tight gun gives the option of opening it up a bit 

also like the crown mad a limited edition there’s no more available so I’ve just looking at the mirouke equivalent 

Old farrier I was told more Crowns are due out soon in the Autumn with different engraving.

No doubt Miroku will have patterned the guns, but not not with the carts and shot sizes I'd use or can get locally. Could maybe get a nice open fiber load that would save having them opened up. I'm sure you can order them multichoked.

A nice grade MK70 sporter could be a option for Lloyds brother in law.

Edited by figgy

27 minutes ago, figgy said:

Old farrier I was told more Crowns are due out soon in the Autumn with different engraving.

No doubt Miroku will have patterned the guns, but not not with the carts and shot sizes I'd use or can get locally. Could maybe get a nice open fiber load that would save having them opened up. I'm sure you can order them multichoked.

A nice grade MK70 sporter could be a option for Lloyds brother in law.

That’s good I’ve a 725 game gun awesome with plastic wads rubbish with my usual fibre wads thought I may change it for a more eco friendly one 

I’m in no rush as I’ve enough to choose from 

had very good reports on the crown and seen the results seems to have been some thought put into it 

B2568FE2-735B-4097-BBF0-1CD25797AE96.jpeg

24749298-348A-4C59-A723-C8A431D85FD4.jpeg

Edited by Old farrier

@Lloyd90 Did your brother find a gun yet? I would recommend he looks at a CG Summit  Impact. Fully adjustable high rib and comb, solid heavy gun that soaks up recoil well.

As for your question about trap guns, yes but it's just a different sight picture. I've known people shoot sporting clays very well with a trap gun.

Sorry loyde 

went off at a tangent 

for £2K  there’s a fair choice above entry level guns 

maybe a bit different if you can find a Winchester grand European 

or 725 browning 

maybe a higher grade mirouke 

lots depend on the build of your mate 

personally only buy because I like it 😊

id rather have one fitted than buy a adjustable one but that’s just me 

if anywhere local does try before you buy on second hand or demonstrators go there first 

all the best 

of

On 07/09/2019 at 21:56, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Question, why does he have to spend 2k plus on a clay gun, to impress those around him, or to feel good in himself.

And as usual we get the “what he needs is a Benelli, Beretta, Browning syndrome, why l’ll never know, yes they’ve made nice guns in the past but they are not the be all end all.

As suggested the Lanber, a very underrated gun, or a Lincoln Premier in the right hands will produce the required results without having to spend a fortune, and also leave enough in the bank for lessons and cartridges.

And of course the regulation fit is everything.

I take it your chosen transport for everyday life is a push bike or bus. People thankfully in this country still have a little bit of freedom to buy what they want or can afford. The op as I recall never hinted that he was spending 2k or thereabouts because it would make him a better shot. The same as buying a 90k range rover does not make you a better driver than the fiesta driver. I wonder if you came up on the lottery or similar how long it would be before a ferrari or similar was in your garage and a 100k purdey or boss in your cabinet. Cats are not tho only things to have green eyes. 

3 hours ago, bostonmick said:

I take it your chosen transport for everyday life is a push bike or bus. People thankfully in this country still have a little bit of freedom to buy what they want or can afford. The op as I recall never hinted that he was spending 2k or thereabouts because it would make him a better shot. The same as buying a 90k range rover does not make you a better driver than the fiesta driver. I wonder if you came up on the lottery or similar how long it would be before a ferrari or similar was in your garage and a 100k purdey or boss in your cabinet. Cats are not tho only things to have green eyes. 

Yes + small economical hatch.

Why start at 2k then.

Agree.

No way would they be considered.

Blonds as well if l remember correctly.

Your opinion has been noted 😴

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 06:45, welshwarrior said:

As to lanbers etc they are ok but I’ve never seen one placed anywhere in a proper clay shoot. 

Is that down to the gun or down to how 'seriously' someone wielding a £300 Lanber is likely to take his clay shooting though?