Fodder Radish Produced A Few .

marsh man

Now most of our stubble's are pulled up or ploughed in , I am lucky I can fall back on some fields of Fodder Radish that is grown for winter feed for the Sheep , this crop for the members who hadn't seen it before is at the moment like small rape plants that will end up like small round Turnips , or large Radishes .

We have got a few fields that were direct drilled into the Barley stubble and the pigeons are still finding bits of grain in the stubble , as it is a growing crop I am allowed to shoot the stubble even though the game season have started .

I rang our young picker up to see if he wanted to come and have a go today and it didn't take him long to say yes , this morning was dull with rain off and on but the forecast was getting out by dinnertime , sure enough when we arranged to meet at 12 o clock it had stopped raining and the sun was breaking through , we didn't see many pigeons feeding but there were a nice lot flying about , we set up three fields apart so we could help each other out , from the word go I was drawing the odd pigeon into the decoys and by 2 . 30 I had around 20 , I rang Rob and he had about a dozen and said things were getting slow , I told him to pack up and come and sit with me as I can go during the week and Saturdays is the only day he can go shooting , he stuck it out till 3pm and then just brought his gun and his seat to sit on , by then it was beginning to slow up where I was although my decoys kept pulling the odd one in , I let him do most of the shooting and just got the odd one here and there , we decided to call it day at 5pm and for the last 20 minutes I walked around the hedgerows to pick up the odd one that dropped out . when we finished and added the bag up we had 53 , not huge but a very enjoyable afternoon as most of my time I am by myself and it made a nice change to have someone to yarn to instead of me swearing at my dog , and him swearing back 😊 

THANKS to all the above replies , although after I rang Rob up after the first two hours shooting  our bags wern't miles apart , if I am honest I could have had a lot more shooting at birds that my body wasn't flexible enough to take on , some were twisting about in the strong wind and others were if anything , to close , with me shooting 99.9 of the time sitting down there is only so much a worn out 72 year body can do :lol: , so by inviting Rob to spend an hour in my hide and watching him take on everything, I could see my peak years were now a well and truly a distant memory .

We have had these crops a good few years now and the Winter shooting haven't seen any good number of pigeons , this could well be because we have got Rape fields that border these fields , a lot of game covers and a good number of mature Oaks , at the moment I am sure the main attraction is the Barley stubble that was direct drilled into .

That was a good report MM. Many thanks for sharing with us and good of you to give a youngster some shooting which I`m sure he thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated your efforts. Like you, I get as much pleasure nowadays watching someone else doing the shooting so long as I have a few shots, although you`ve got years on me, well one year anyway :lol:. Fodder radish/turnips not grown in these parts so thanks for enlightening me on that as I noticed the crop when last up your way and did wonder. 

ATB

OB