N.O.B.S.

max151

I joined a group last year called N.O.B.S. sent them £20  for membership for myself and my son.I received a letter back along with two car stickers ,saying we were both now members 

That was a year ago and I haven't heard a thing from them since.I was led to believe that I was going to be informed of any beating opportunities in my particular area .As I have heard not a peep from them I'm wondering if I have been well and truly knobbed.

Face to face meeting or find someone that goes beating. 

We rely far to much on the www and are lacking simple communication skills, this is increasingly growing. 

At the end of most shoots they will normally have an end of shoot meal and a drink in a local. Find that, and it may lead you to the golden Goose.

Good beaters and good gun dogs are always required at shoots. 

If you are recognised as good at both you wont have time for anything else in the week. I know some who pickup 5 days a week, and can get up to £40 a day without tips. 

Edited by Dougy
Spelling

Have you contacted them recently, to ask why they haven't been in touch? The date for organising both beaters and pickers up is pretty much past now; it is on both shoots I'm involved in anyhow. We received dates and inquiries as to which ones we could attend back in early July. This doesn't mean you wont be able to get any beating, but unless you live rurally I don't think it will be easy. If you live in Cumbria or Lancashire I may be able to get you an odd day but nothing regular, and this late in the day it'll probably be short notice. 

If you have contacted them but they haven't responded, then I'd contact them again to inform them you won't be renewing. 

Looked at it when I wanted to have ago at beating didnt bother when I found out you had to pay to be a member of it. Went on facebook found lots of groups put a post up with my location & availability had a response within a hour joined a local shoot 30minutes away from my house. I wouldn't bother with them myself facebook is you're friend in the situation if you are on it. 

3 hours ago, max151 said:

Hi Dougy as much as I appreciate your timely reply to my post.Let me inform  you ,when you refer to simple communication skills ,I can assure you mine are very well adapted and I think you have missed the whole point of my post.

Understood your post very well.

How have you got on with beating and picking up days from your £30 membership to n.o.b.s? 

I am not knocking your communication skills as such. But we are becoming more reliant on the internet instead of actually going out meeting people face to face and asking. 

Just saying thats all. 

the insurance package offered by them was very attractive, and if I recall correctly, came out top on a survey comparison , published in Sporting Gun, a few years ago. And considerably better than that stuck on the BASC membership ...and that was before their new updated (ask reduced terms of cover) as in the latest fanzine !

On 08/09/2019 at 09:40, max151 said:

I was going to be informed of any beating opportunities in my particular area

Which is?  If you put your location in your profile, you might be surprised, the odd opportunity might turn up in your PM inbox...

E.g. My local DIY syndicate is always in need of beaters, but it is near Weston-Super-Mare...

On 08/09/2019 at 10:13, Dougy said:

Face to face meeting or find someone that goes beating. 

We rely far to much on the www and are lacking simple communication skills, this is increasingly growing. 

At the end of most shoots they will normally have an end of shoot meal and a drink in a local. Find that, and it may lead you to the golden Goose.

Good beaters and good gun dogs are always required at shoots. 

If you are recognised as good at both you wont have time for anything else in the week. I know some who pickup 5 days a week, and can get up to £40 a day without tips. 

I think the point is, unless you accidentally bump into them at the pub, how do you even know where shoots are? 

I have found one for this season just down the road from my house, 15 mins, that I never knew was there before, until it was advertised on here. 

And the £40 is a nice little bonus for picking up, but it always surprises me when people miss work for such events etc. I think it's just a bit of beer money for old retirees. Always appreciated however. Shame though as folk who work aren't always able to take that time off. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think the point is, unless you accidentally bump into them at the pub, how do you even know where shoots are? 

I have found one for this season just down the road from my house, 15 mins, that I never knew was there before, until it was advertised on here. 

And the £40 is a nice little bonus for picking up, but it always surprises me when people miss work for such events etc. I think it's just a bit of beer money for old retirees. Always appreciated however. Shame though as folk who work aren't always able to take that time off. 

I know many working people who are fanatical about beating and picking up and take their annual holiday in single days so they can beat throughout the season.