RFD Transfer question

TK421

Ok, so this is the scenario and the question.

private remote sales of shotgun, price agreed and paid. 

Licence sent to private seller, filled out and sent back to buyer.

local RFD to seller, receives shotgun, wrapped up who then ships via parcelforce  to local RFD to buyer.

so, I understand what the sellers local RFD is getting paid for, the shipping, transfer etc..

the local RFD to the buyer, other than receiving the shotgun, what other costs does the receiving RFD have to charge for? 

Reason I ask this question is the receiving RFD is charging more than the sending RFD? 

Im all for supporting my local RFD, no issue here, just trying to understand how these costs are calculated and what they actually do on the receiving end.

thanks guys 

32 minutes ago, rapid .25 said:

I've found that they all charge whatever they want, I've been charged £35 for receiving a shotgun and also been charged £20 for the same service, ( Guess who I'll be using in the future), 

Makes it harder to support your local shop when you feel like your being ripped off right?

4 minutes ago, bluesj said:

They can charge what they like, the one I use charges 20 quid if that is all you use them for or nothing to regular customers 

This seems perfectly reasonable in my opinion, let’s  face it when you pick up your gun you would under normal circumstances purchase something else whilst there, cartridges, new slip etc.. however would be unlikely if you’ve been over charged for the transfer I guess.

so the question still stands what is it your actually paying for at the receiving end? Is there a considerable amount of paper work that has to be filled out? 

Edited by TK421

So I've RFD both ways...my local shop charged me £25 to pick it up and £40 to send.....

When I picked up the £25 was for paper work and handling charges, they unpacked the shotgun in front of me and gave it a once over etc and then did the paper work (writing on my license and doing the email to the local firearms office etc.

When sending they did the same which included inspecting the gun and packing it and included the shipping charges etc.

But for my shop I transferred the guns to or from them they then sent to the RFD who did like wise so I did not need to send my license etc.

Edited by prem1234
typo

1 minute ago, prem1234 said:

So I've RFD both ways...my local shop charged me £25 to pick it up and £40 to send.....

When I picked up the £25 was for paper work and handling charges, they unpacked the shotgun in front of me and gave it a once over etc and then did the paper work (writing on my license and doing the email to the local firearms office etc.

When sending they did the same which included inspecting the gun and packing it included the shipping charges etc.

But for my shop I transferred the guns to or from them they then sent to the RFD who did like wise so I did not need to send my license etc.

I understand this, but as now is required, the license has to be completed by the seller, so there is no licensing paper work to be filled out by the RFD just the posting in between the RFD’s, with them Checking they are both licensed RFD’s to handle the transfer. 

14 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I understand this, but as now is required, the license has to be completed by the seller, so there is no licensing paper work to be filled out by the RFD just the posting in between the RFD’s, with them Checking they are both licensed RFD’s to handle the transfer. 

Is this correct that the licence has to be completed by the seller as there appears to be differing views on this or maybe it`s the discretion of individual RFDs. I`m just about to sell a gun privately and thought that my certificate can be filled out by my RFD and the buyer`s by his RFD without the need for any certificate to be sent anywhere. Stand to be corrected here, but interested nevertheless.

OB

Yes, that's the correct way to do it, the seller must have sight of the purchasers authority to acquire (SGC or an "empty slot" on a FAC).

However, it still happens the "wrong" way, I bought a new rifle about a month ago from Livens, asked where they wanted me to send my FAC and they said no need, just give us your payment details and my local RFD's details!.

Edited by phaedra1106

This one has been done loads of times.

Yes, the seller must complete the certicate of the buyer. This has always been the case but other methods were usually allowed/overlooked as long as the information was passed onto licensing.

You can sell your gun to your local RFD and he could sell to the remote one who could sell to the next person but if the RFD becomes the "seller" it goes through their books and therefore has tax/vat implications. Far too complicated.

As far as cost/charges it costs £20 odd to post and generally £25 for the paperwork at either end whether sending or receiving.

If sending the gun is entered into our register (as we are required to record all guns coming into our possession) and copies/receipts given to owner. Takes a few minutes. Then we book the collection (parcel farce) after we have recieve, checked and filed the paperwork from the receiving RFD. Paper and electronic copies of all transactions.

We also need to wrap/package the gun ready for sending.

Fair amount of work for less than £20?

If receiving then we are usually contacted by the sending rfd, exchange paperwork and agree to receive the gun.

We book it in and record all details.

Meet and deal with the new owner (who arrives with his cert already completed) usually spend time with them while the gun is checked over.

£25.

To be able to do this we have to be here, which isn't cheap.

Edd