Over and under aim

captainhastings

I have a baikal over and under and I struggled to hit pigeons with it. I was given an old pump action and straight away noticed a difference and got some good shooting going at times. But if I don't get the pumping bit bang on it can jam on me. This can be really frustrating if after geese and it costs an opportunity which are few and far between anyway.
Is they some sort of allowance you need to make when aiming an over and under compared  to a single barrel.

I am considering either going back to it or picking up a cheap side by side or maybe a semi. Bit of a budget so not sure which way to jump at the moment

Sounds like the pump is a better fit but you're 'short stroking' it, for want of a better phrase. Cheap semi auto may be the way to go, and you can pick up some very cheap well used but very definitely not worn out examples for not a lot of money. Ditto for SxS's, but they will have cast, just like your Baikel ( if they have cast, have never looked ) whereas a pump or semi is less likely to have cast unless a previous owner has added shims. 

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

Sounds like the pump is a better fit but you're 'short stroking' it, for want of a better phrase. Cheap semi auto may be the way to go, and you can pick up some very cheap well used but very definitely not worn out examples for not a lot of money. Ditto for SxS's, but they will have cast, just like your Baikel ( if they have cast, have never looked ) whereas a pump or semi is less likely to have cast unless a previous owner has added shims. 

Thanks for all the info folks. All noted. I think your right too scully because when I unload the gun and give it deliberate strokes it works flawlessly. But maybe in my rush shooting and excitement I half do it

Edited by captainhastings

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what make is the pump shotgun ? i presume between the Baikal O/U and your pump the stock dimensions eg cast and LOP maybe quite different, some single barrel shotguns shoot high, if you going after geese you would need a fairly hefty side by side, a semi might be the answer 

It is a Squires Bingham might be a Model 30. Looks like this 

56 minutes ago, London Best said:

You should not “aim” a shotgun, you point it. The gun should fit to point where you are looking,  just like your arm/finger. This is the only way you can shoot a shotgun naturally. Anything else is hard work!

Exactly, look at the bird. If the gun fits you reasonably you will hit your share.  Pretty obvious the pumper fits you better than the O/U.    Turn now and point at something across the room. You don't have sights on your index finger but it is fitted to your body and brain perfectly.  A shotgun must fit you like a glove to work.  After many many years and lots of shooting various guns many shooters can pick almost anyhting up and have their share of success.  Take a look at trick shooters, upside down over the shoulder, from the hip, non of them 'sight' the gun it is pure instinct.  In my view the ridiculous front sights put on some shotguns are just that. In my view ..'catch pennies'.

7 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

It is a Squires Bingham might be a Model 30. Looks like this 

hello, i can only suggest you find out the stock dimensions on your squires as i stated and find a semi auto with similar stock,  Mick aka Wabbitbosher on here might be able to help on finding a suitable semi auto but you would need to visit Northampton way, depending on where you are in UK, or is your name a clue sunny Hastings !!

Edited by oldypigeonpopper