Lambing video

islandgun

2 hours ago, Sha Bu Le said:

Well Island Gun if any vegans find it offensive then tough naughty bits.

What a brilliant little girl, will grow up to be a real people and animal person. Well done little Miss.

Agreed about that, I love the look on her face when she's feeling around for the head and the nonchalant way she deals with the afterbirth. one proud dad and a privilege to watch

22 hours ago, islandgun said:

Both hands in there at once. 

It saves having to forage around in there one-handed with a loop of baler twine!

That said, there can't be many more satisfying jobs in the world than a successful lambing, especially a difficult one. On an early spring morning with the sun just coming up and shining on the dew, it's about as near to the Creator as is possible to get.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

It saves having to forage around in there one-handed with a loop of baler twine!

That said, there can't be many more satisfying jobs in the world than a successful lambing, especially a difficult one. On an early spring morning with the sun just coming up and shining on the dew, it's about as near to the Creator as is possible to get.

Ive had the unpleasant experience of removing two decaying lambs from an unfortunate ewe when working in N Wales

I was thinking that the young lady in the video might move into midwifery when she gets older, then thought she might have to refine her technique a bit. ...or maybe not .😉

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

And watching the Ewe look to the heavens just as she is about to lamb.

29 minutes ago, old'un said:

She will have arms like Jeff Capes by the time she’s 10,  it’s a pity they don’t take a coach load of city kids to a farm and let them see what life is all about, mind you, you will have some snowflake saying its child abuse or something like that.

Thats a great idea,  especially at lambing time. heres a picture of my youngest, quite a few years ago. they all did a bit of lambing but mostly enjoyed looking after orphan or pet lambs

DSCN1164.JPG.265d812cc7424935c95014caec276392.JPG

5 hours ago, islandgun said:

Ive had the unpleasant experience of removing two decaying lambs

Hmmn. I can smell it from here.  Did you  manage to get anything twinned on to her or was everything too far gone?  If you can get then to take an orphan they do better and it doesn't seem so hopeless either. How many ewes were you looking after?

Very nice pic of your daughter too. Blackface lambs - like white hares!

34 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Hmmn. I can smell it from here.  Did you  manage to get anything twinned on to her or was everything too far gone?  If you can get then to take an orphan they do better and it doesn't seem so hopeless either. How many ewes were you looking after?

Very nice pic of your daughter too. Blackface lambs - like white hares!

It was my first job away from arable and dairy, Sheep and cattle in the hills of N Wales. the rotting lambs came away limb by limb. the ewe didnt survive. since then ive managed to replace quite a few fallen lambs with a twin by using the dead lambs skin.. my children were known in our area for taking orphan lambs and some local crofters were happy not to have the bother.. the video reminded me of my youngest, she even had a lamb motive on her onezee !

15 hours ago, islandgun said:

Sheep .... in the hills of N Wales.

There's something a bit special about hill work  My last ever two seasons lambing was in Borders, on the hill below.  The first two pics were taken from the same place looking in either direction. There was lot of walking involved! The last pic is of my lambing assistants...

1469427585_Spoth2smaller.jpg.4de9cd4b67ca5fbbda4824a9cb208526.jpg1358029254_Spoth1smaller.jpg.86dd3cfd251f1b6a038fba26c1c76f5c.jpg1904635046_JaffCraignosheepsmall.jpg.80b8f021d5026a83654db23afba310dc.jpg

Thats some open country ! looks like a quad or trials bike might have come in handy. fine looking dogs.

Heres a picture of the end of Toe Head, Northton. A peninsula, its part of our common grazing, perhaps six of us would head out to here, then spread out and bring the ewes back, takes about 5/6 hours  second picture is the high cliffs at the end and S side, third the track out to the hill. these are also the areas i shoot [might be more correct to say walk about with a gun]

180404650_phoca_thumb_l_lazybedstoeheadfw.jpg.cd8301ae021dd1e24c738b4b2ac989cd.jpg

DSC_0389.JPG.e5322e40d80a7a5b1bff49d5fce5ba96.JPG

5_8_2l.jpg.6fef62c7a16b4e017bb5106d3f69d6a6.jpg

Edited by islandgun

38 minutes ago, islandgun said:

looks like a quad or trials bike might have come in handy.

The regular shepherd had a trials bike...his sheep were on the other side of the river that's in the first pic. The temporary help had to use his legs to get around his hefts!

Ah, I see you're on Harris. Spectacular scenery!  I've always had a craving to see the Western Isles, and for some reason Harris in particular. In fact, a couple of years ago I went through a spell with this mad idea of moving the whole family over to Harris and opening a Thai restaurant in Tarbert! But eventually Mrs R got sick of hearing about it and common sense prevailed.  Not only impractical probably,  but I don't think any of us could have coped with the weather to be honest. I liked the look of that Sir Edward Scott school though. With a teacher to pupil ratio like that the kids couldn't help but get on. Oh well...

Edited by Retsdon

58 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

The regular shepherd had a trials bike...his sheep were on the other side of the river that's in the first pic. The temporary help had to use his legs to get around his hefts!

Ah, I see you're on Harris. Spectacular scenery!  I've always had a craving to see the Western Isles, and for some reason Harris in particular. In fact, a couple of years ago I went through a spell with this mad idea of moving the whole family over to Harris and opening a Thai restaurant in Tarbert! But eventually Mrs R got sick of hearing about it and common sense prevailed.  Not only impractical probably,  but I don't think any of us could have coped with the weather to be honest. I liked the look of that Sir Edward Scott school though. With a teacher to pupil ratio like that the kids couldn't help but get on. Oh well...

Indeed. my 4 kids have done well enough. there is an increasing demand for restaurants here and a Thai would be welcome. however  Saudi it aint,  was heavy rain and wind in the mid 40 mph today.  I love it though

Edited by islandgun