Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
klatuveradanikto

Parkinsons and shooting

Recommended Posts

Hello chaps ,I shall be renewing my SGC within the next few months and was wondering if any of you chaps have any experience of renewing your SGC with parkinsons. I was diagnoses about a year ago with early stage parkinsons I am now on medication and it seems to be under control as much as you can control parkinsons. Obviously I shall mention this upon renewal in the application form as well as doctors reports. By the way my doctors are asking for 45 pounds to fill out the form. I still shoot regularly as I find clay pigeon and parkinsons doesn't really matter as it's a very dynamic sport so the shakes don't really come into it.Any advice or personal story's would be of appreciation thanks in advance, Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to here this Mark , i to are waiting to see a specialist  re Parkinsons , not been feel right for some time now the shakes seem to be getting worse . Its just the waiting game . I did a search on here the other week , and found a few older posts . Stay strong , and enjoy your shooting . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers mate ,yes I feel positive about the whole situation I am being proactive in engaging in a fitness programme designer for parkinsons sufferers at the weekends, would just like to know of any other members experiences of this situation. All the best Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chap o know on a shoot here has it. Just renewed licence and feo was happy that he is fine and knows his own limits when with others. He has an off road coverd quad to get to stands. All guns are more than happy ro see him out shooting. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fella at shooting ground I visit must have it as he has all the signs and shakes. I've never asked him about it but know he has his license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the yardstick comes when the medical profession deem you unfit to drive and contact the DVLA. I'm sure one of the reasons a GP reference is required is that they will also notify the local police of any medical condition or situation that might make you unsafe to you or others.

when my young son was diagnosed with leukaemia the local FEO was made aware and when he was pronounced they could do no more for him they were alerted again. Thankfully they found a trial drug that saved his life. On speaking to my FEO they said they would have asked me for a volountry surrender of weapons to a RFD if he had died. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

I think the yardstick comes when the medical profession deem you unfit to drive and contact the DVLA. I'm sure one of the reasons a GP reference is required is that they will also notify the local police of any medical condition or situation that might make you unsafe to you or others.

when my young son was diagnosed with leukaemia the local FEO was made aware and when he was pronounced they could do no more for him they were alerted again. Thankfully they found a trial drug that saved his life. On speaking to my FEO they said they would have asked me for a volountry surrender of weapons to a RFD if he had died. 

 

I have contacted DVLA  ita a legal requirement, I have had my driving licence renewed without any problems only difference is i have to renew it every 3 years for car and bike and every 1 year for my HGV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SGC renewed,  just a follow up to my original post, my SGC landed at the weekend  had a home visit from my FEO had a chat about my condition and she was reassured that I'm fine to continue for now, although my SGC is for 5 years I'm on a yearly review with my  FEO just to make sure the condition hasn't progressed, which is fine by me.So if anyone else has concerns regarding Parkinsons it's not the end of your sport it just another hurdle to jump, all the best .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a day shooting with a chap a couple of weeks ago in Norfolk he has parkinsons for several years now, is on medication and has the shakes also drives, but still a accomplished game shot.

All  the best to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Konnie said:

I had a day shooting with a chap a couple of weeks ago in Norfolk he has parkinsons for several years now, is on medication and has the shakes also drives, but still a accomplished game shot.

All  the best to you.

I find that with it being a dynamic shooting sport as opposed to target shooting the condition doesn't really come in to it, was shooting yesterday on high tower did well. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 26/01/2020 at 15:51, klatuveradanikto said:

SGC renewed,  just a follow up to my original post, my SGC landed at the weekend  had a home visit from my FEO had a chat about my condition and she was reassured that I'm fine to continue for now, although my SGC is for 5 years I'm on a yearly review with my  FEO just to make sure the condition hasn't progressed, which is fine by me.So if anyone else has concerns regarding Parkinsons it's not the end of your sport it just another hurdle to jump, all the best .

 

That's great news that they renewed your SGC, I am really chuffed for you 🙂 My Dad had Parkinsons and I know just what you are going through, it is an awful illness. Keep doing what you enjoy for as long as you can and I am sure with a good bunch of friends around you that will be for many years to come. I notice that many on the thread are commenting here that they have noticed the shakes on people, small point that not everyone with Parkinsons will shake. My Dad was fortunate not to suffer from the tremors however was plagued by the many other horrible effects of it.

Good luck going forward and take advantage of any of the clinics your local Parkinsons nurse offers, Dad found many of them really helpful to him. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, m3vert said:

 

That's great news that they renewed your SGC, I am really chuffed for you 🙂 My Dad had Parkinsons and I know just what you are going through, it is an awful illness. Keep doing what you enjoy for as long as you can and I am sure with a good bunch of friends around you that will be for many years to come. I notice that many on the thread are commenting here that they have noticed the shakes on people, small point that not everyone with Parkinsons will shake. My Dad was fortunate not to suffer from the tremors however was plagued by the many other horrible effects of it.

Good luck going forward and take advantage of any of the clinics your local Parkinsons nurse offers, Dad found many of them really helpful to him. 👍

Thanks for your positive response, I actually attended a boxing workshop on Saturday afternoon especially designed for parkinsons sufferers, keeps everything moving we do balance, breathing and physical exercises.as you say I am doing everything I can to keep fit both mentally and physically, cheers👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2020 at 17:30, klatuveradanikto said:

Thanks for your positive response, I actually attended a boxing workshop on Saturday afternoon especially designed for parkinsons sufferers, keeps everything moving we do balance, breathing and physical exercises.as you say I am doing everything I can to keep fit both mentally and physically, cheers👍

Good on you, I have read that boxing is meant to be great for Parkinsons, I think dancing is another, so just the excuse you need for getting your old tap shoes dug out 😉 Keep well 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2019 at 19:20, Perazzishot said:

when my young son was diagnosed with leukaemia the local FEO was made aware and when he was pronounced they could do no more for him they were alerted again. Thankfully they found a trial drug that saved his life. On speaking to my FEO they said they would have asked me for a volountry surrender of weapons to a RFD if he had died. 

Hope your son has recovered, must have been a stressful time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Hope your son has recovered, must have been a stressful time. 

Yes he has but nearly 5 years later we still live with the long term effects of the brutal treatment he had to undergo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...