Parkinsons and shooting

Hello chaps ,I shall be renewing my SGC within the next few months and was wondering if any of you chaps have any experience of renewing your SGC with parkinsons. I was diagnoses about a year ago with early stage parkinsons I am now on medication and it seems to be under control as much as you can control parkinsons. Obviously I shall mention this upon renewal in the application form as well as doctors reports. By the way my doctors are asking for 45 pounds to fill out the form. I still shoot regularly as I find clay pigeon and parkinsons doesn't really matter as it's a very dynamic sport so the shakes don't really come into it.Any advice or personal story's would be of appreciation thanks in advance, Mark.

I think the yardstick comes when the medical profession deem you unfit to drive and contact the DVLA. I'm sure one of the reasons a GP reference is required is that they will also notify the local police of any medical condition or situation that might make you unsafe to you or others.

when my young son was diagnosed with leukaemia the local FEO was made aware and when he was pronounced they could do no more for him they were alerted again. Thankfully they found a trial drug that saved his life. On speaking to my FEO they said they would have asked me for a volountry surrender of weapons to a RFD if he had died. 

12 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

I think the yardstick comes when the medical profession deem you unfit to drive and contact the DVLA. I'm sure one of the reasons a GP reference is required is that they will also notify the local police of any medical condition or situation that might make you unsafe to you or others.

when my young son was diagnosed with leukaemia the local FEO was made aware and when he was pronounced they could do no more for him they were alerted again. Thankfully they found a trial drug that saved his life. On speaking to my FEO they said they would have asked me for a volountry surrender of weapons to a RFD if he had died. 

I have contacted DVLA  ita a legal requirement, I have had my driving licence renewed without any problems only difference is i have to renew it every 3 years for car and bike and every 1 year for my HGV. 

• 4 months later...

SGC renewed,  just a follow up to my original post, my SGC landed at the weekend  had a home visit from my FEO had a chat about my condition and she was reassured that I'm fine to continue for now, although my SGC is for 5 years I'm on a yearly review with my  FEO just to make sure the condition hasn't progressed, which is fine by me.So if anyone else has concerns regarding Parkinsons it's not the end of your sport it just another hurdle to jump, all the best .

3 hours ago, Konnie said:

I had a day shooting with a chap a couple of weeks ago in Norfolk he has parkinsons for several years now, is on medication and has the shakes also drives, but still a accomplished game shot.

All  the best to you.

I find that with it being a dynamic shooting sport as opposed to target shooting the condition doesn't really come in to it, was shooting yesterday on high tower did well. 👍

On 26/01/2020 at 15:51, klatuveradanikto said:

SGC renewed,  just a follow up to my original post, my SGC landed at the weekend  had a home visit from my FEO had a chat about my condition and she was reassured that I'm fine to continue for now, although my SGC is for 5 years I'm on a yearly review with my  FEO just to make sure the condition hasn't progressed, which is fine by me.So if anyone else has concerns regarding Parkinsons it's not the end of your sport it just another hurdle to jump, all the best .

That's great news that they renewed your SGC, I am really chuffed for you 🙂 My Dad had Parkinsons and I know just what you are going through, it is an awful illness. Keep doing what you enjoy for as long as you can and I am sure with a good bunch of friends around you that will be for many years to come. I notice that many on the thread are commenting here that they have noticed the shakes on people, small point that not everyone with Parkinsons will shake. My Dad was fortunate not to suffer from the tremors however was plagued by the many other horrible effects of it.

Good luck going forward and take advantage of any of the clinics your local Parkinsons nurse offers, Dad found many of them really helpful to him. 👍

7 hours ago, m3vert said:

That's great news that they renewed your SGC, I am really chuffed for you 🙂 My Dad had Parkinsons and I know just what you are going through, it is an awful illness. Keep doing what you enjoy for as long as you can and I am sure with a good bunch of friends around you that will be for many years to come. I notice that many on the thread are commenting here that they have noticed the shakes on people, small point that not everyone with Parkinsons will shake. My Dad was fortunate not to suffer from the tremors however was plagued by the many other horrible effects of it.

Good luck going forward and take advantage of any of the clinics your local Parkinsons nurse offers, Dad found many of them really helpful to him. 👍

Thanks for your positive response, I actually attended a boxing workshop on Saturday afternoon especially designed for parkinsons sufferers, keeps everything moving we do balance, breathing and physical exercises.as you say I am doing everything I can to keep fit both mentally and physically, cheers👍

On 01/02/2020 at 17:30, klatuveradanikto said:

Thanks for your positive response, I actually attended a boxing workshop on Saturday afternoon especially designed for parkinsons sufferers, keeps everything moving we do balance, breathing and physical exercises.as you say I am doing everything I can to keep fit both mentally and physically, cheers👍

Good on you, I have read that boxing is meant to be great for Parkinsons, I think dancing is another, so just the excuse you need for getting your old tap shoes dug out 😉 Keep well 👍

On 09/09/2019 at 19:20, Perazzishot said:

Hope your son has recovered, must have been a stressful time. 

• 7 months later...
On 08/09/2019 at 12:37, klatuveradanikto said:

Hello chaps ,I shall be renewing my SGC within the next few months and was wondering if any of you chaps have any experience of renewing your SGC with parkinsons. I was diagnoses about a year ago with early stage parkinsons I am now on medication and it seems to be under control as much as you can control parkinsons. Obviously I shall mention this upon renewal in the application form as well as doctors reports. By the way my doctors are asking for 45 pounds to fill out the form. I still shoot regularly as I find clay pigeon and parkinsons doesn't really matter as it's a very dynamic sport so the shakes don't really come into it.Any advice or personal story's would be of appreciation thanks in advance, Mark.

Hi Mark I hope you are well. Out of interest did you get renewed ok ? I notice on the form from the police to give to the docs it mentions parkinsons or any other neurological issue. Reason I ask is i have an essential tremor and have to renew in a years time. Doesn't affect me at all doing things. Just a tremor at times so I am wondering if the doc will tick that box when the time comes

I have Parkinsons  but i dont have the shakes. I think i have the stable version. I'm on medication and have been cleared by

my Doctor and the DVLA to drive. I spoke to the Police on Monday about my coterminous renewal and they said it shouldn't 

be a problem. But they will be getting in touch with my Doctor.  Can only wait and see what happens.

I've had it for 2 years now and it hasn't got any worse. It has not affected my shooting, i still can't hit anything lol.

Many moons ago, I shot sporting clays with a chap who had quite advanced Parkinson’s. His scores were always consistently high - I would say about top 6 in the club. People would often crack the joke: ‘hey I want some of the tablets you’re on’......etc. He loved getting some banter for being a good shot of course. The Parkinson’s didn’t seem to take anything away from his shooting skills. Incidentally, he had no trouble getting his renewals either. Long may your shooting continue.