Midland game fair

B725

I went to the Original fair at Weston Park..think it was the Game Fair then... ????1959..1960 ???? and it was a great get together. Have been a few times since then but like all fairs has slowly become Saturday Markets and certainly last years reports from Weston park does not sound inviting.  I'll go squirrel shooting instead I think.

12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I went to the Original fair at Weston Park..think it was the Game Fair then... ????1959..1960 ???? and it was a great get together. Have been a few times since then but like all fairs has slowly become Saturday Markets and certainly last years reports from Weston park does not sound inviting.  I'll go squirrel shooting instead I think.

Years ago I remember one held at Packington near Meriden, cannot remember what it was called but on a similar theme to the one at WestonPark.

Had a shock yesterday, it was advertised on the TV.

I wont be going, i too remember when it was a decent show but its captive audience now is those wanting to dress up in the latest Rydale tweed and green boots, And then you have the greased back hair of the tin house movers, followed closely behind by the orange wives looking like a female version of David Dickinson. 

As above shooting show for me too. 

On 11/09/2019 at 09:52, old'un said:

Years ago I remember one held at Packington near Meriden, cannot remember what it was called but on a similar theme to the one at WestonPark.

I seem to remember the fair at Packington was called the “gamekeepers fair” that was a good fair.........the Midland was good, I attended for many years but was disappointed the last couple of times I attended...........I haven’t been for several years now!

Yep, the original Game Keepers was at Packington.  I think the one I went to at Weston Park was the first Game Fair...may be wrong...but had to wait till the milk round was done before I could borrow the Ford 8 van. 100 mile round trip, quite an adventure back then.   I had one of those early big green Intrepid reels and a part had broken. I went on the stand and they could not have been more helpful and a few days later a new part arrived in the post. 

Just got back from the Midland game fair very disappointing none of the major manufactures there only Browning they had a small tent about 10ft square around 20 guns tucked away up a corner with just one chap on it .There were only about four gun dealers there a total waste of time be a few more years before i go again

was a regular from when the gamekeepers fayre was at Pakington  for app 20 yrs or more and really enjoyed with mrs and kids  however have not been in the last 10 yrs as not the same over priced with thieving types / also market type clothing  last time I went took guite a lot of money to spend  . bought burgers and drinks came home discussed  .     it was always the working mans game fayre for me  , above all others  truly disappointed ( I voted with my feet )  

4 hours ago, Saltings said:

was a regular from when the gamekeepers fayre was at Pakington  for app 20 yrs or more and really enjoyed with mrs and kids  however have not been in the last 10 yrs as not the same over priced with thieving types / also market type clothing  last time I went took guite a lot of money to spend  . bought burgers and drinks came home discussed  .     it was always the working mans game fayre for me  , above all others  truly disappointed ( I voted with my feet )  

As above went as a family to Packington and bought some good equipment I still use today, as Salting stated " A working mans game fair" 

Edited by pigeon controller