BLOODY NIGHTMARE - Quickly help needed.

Lloyd90

AS said about selling my motorbike, trust it to turn into a nightmare.

Bloke and his wife turned up, test drove it briefly, and then we did payment and paperwork. He shows me the money in his account, and then did a bank transfer in front of me, which then went through and showed in my account. Paperwork was done after this and then they left. I directed them to the petrol station down the road before their drive home. 

Then received a message shortly afterwards, they said there is an issue with the clutch apparently. The gear will change but the clutch not engaging and it won't pull off. They have asked to bring it back and refund.

NIGHTMARE!

I am happy to refund but very worried about paying the money back and then some sort of charge back takes place or something. 

Need quick advice please. 

Should be free or a very small fee. If the bike is faulty full refund if it's not and bikes fine,,tell him no or refund only the amount just paid. Deposit is non refundable.

Sounds like a daft issue with the clutch, cable come loose or sticking not releasing. Bit of WD40.

Edited by figgy

No obligation to refund but thy drove it less than 2 miles to a petrol station, filled it up and it wouldn’t pull out. 

Clutch has broken it seems. 

I would be absolutely sick if I was the buyer. 

I phoned my bank who confined the funds has cleared and refunded the poor man in full. 

How embarrassing.

1 hour ago, tiny tim said:

At least you got a free tank of fuel

I gave the man £10 note and apologised, he said he would get me some change, I told him don't bother, he paid £5 for the fuel and wasted all that time coming down. 

33 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

It was working when you sold it Lloyd. It got them two miles chaging gear.. You could of said unlucky it's your bike now.. There are people out there who would happily sold as seen and not even cared. You getting soft in ya old age? 😁

Imagine someone doing that to you, you'd be absolutely sick to your stomach.  

Treat people how you would like to be treated :P 

4 hours ago, henry d said:

Poop happens, you are a stranger to them and vice versa so the embarrassment will hopefully be short lived.

If you had said"caveat emptor" and told them to do one it would be different, but you have good standards, so well done you.

Yep. Good for you. You did the right thing. 

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

No obligation to refund but thy drove it less than 2 miles to a petrol station, filled it up and it wouldn’t pull out. 

I phoned my bank who confined the funds has cleared and refunded the poor man in full. 

How embarrassing.

You did the right thing Lloyd and it was very good of you, and your right bud anyone that happened to would feel sick, not everyone is a con artist.

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

How embarrassing.

Many years ago , I worked in the motor trade , Id had a mini for sale in the local paper , and two absolutely stunning young women turned up to view it ,  as the first woman opened the drivers door , it fell off !, no creaking or groaning,  it just fell clean off and landed on the floor , they looked at me like I was Arthur Daley 😅, the mini was about four years old and in mint condition , I'd been using the car for a week myself, and I'd only parked it up ten minutes before they arrived . sometimes things just break , I'm just glad that it didn't fall off when they were taking it for a test drive😲.

8 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Many years ago , I worked in the motor trade , Id had a mini for sale in the local paper , and two absolutely stunning young women turned up to view it ,  as the first woman opened the drivers door , it fell off !, no creaking or groaning,  it just fell clean off and landed on the floor , they looked at me like I was Arthur Daley 😅, the mini was about four years old and in mint condition , I'd been using the car for a week myself, and I'd only parked it up ten minutes before they arrived . sometimes things just break , I'm just glad that it didn't fall off when they were taking it for a test drive😲.

The door CAME OFF IN HER HAND ? 😲

lad at the last place I worked was a car nut, something like twenty cars in 15 years? Sold a BMW and took a loan to buy some 400hp car. Something like. A week later it packed up, he called the guy to ask him for advise and got told your problem and hung up on!!

last i heard the car was in bits.