Fed up

Jacko3275

This is the nearest thing to a flight line I have seen this weekend .. went to a field Saturday that I had reckied Monday had a trickle of a flight line  so thought I may get a pb  got there about 11am seen a few birds on the Same line so set up under a normally sitty  tree and for the next 2 hrs nothing but a crow which is now probably fox poo so packed up and came home hoping Sunday would be better at the field where I did my first solo outing.. got there at about 9am  drive round the rape stubble and quite a few birds flew up to my surprise so I watched over a nice cuppa to see if the was a line with in 30 mins about 10 birds flew down the center of the field to the same feeding area  so I set up in the hedge sun on my back wind from my right 15 deeks one floater and within 15 mins had my first 2  birds  10 mins later I missed a fast crosser which maybe I should have left  as I think it went back and told it’s mates it wasn’t safe to feed  in that field as there was nothing for the next hour till I went out of the hide to right a turned over Deek and at this time about ten birds decided they where hungry  and where fly straight at me  the minute I turn back to the hide there where off... on this note i thought time to pack up and call it part of my learning curve ... I’m starting to think pigeons can smell or sense I’m there .. high light of the day was when a little field mouse popped out of its hole in the hide looked at me and then scurried off..

614F0A19-53FB-416C-9BC7-21460E8EDCEB.jpeg

Edited by Jacko3275

You will find you can spend more time looking than you do shooting , If at all possible , try to look the day before you intend to go shooting ,by that way a lot less can go wrong than looking one day and then going on the field six days later .

Rape stubble would be getting past it's sell by date now so if you have got any , keep an eye on any late grain stubble's or any new drilling's , 

By having the odd set back , it will make you more determined to get it right the next time you go , or the next , or even the one after that , in other words , keep at it and you will be rewarded. 

Fed up.

I have seen over the years many such would-be pigeon shooters come and go, they are enthusiastic, have all the latest pigeon shooting gear, have read the books and been on forums like this, they have the odd good day on the stubble's but most lose this enthusiasm after the first or second winter on rape when they spend more time/miles looking for a shoot-able field than they do actually shooting.

There are few long time pigeon shooters but I hope you will still have the same enthusiasm in 10, 20 or more years from now.

Good luck for the future and has been said its not as easy as it looks and portrayed in the shooting press, but if you keep at it long enough you will one day be rewarded with a red letter day.   

Edited by old'un

8 hours ago, old'un said:

Fed up.

I have seen over the years many such would-be pigeon shooters come and go, they are enthusiastic, have all the latest pigeon shooting gear, have read the books and been on forums like this, they have the odd good day on the stubble's but most lose this enthusiasm after the first or second winter on rape when they spend more time/miles looking for a shoot-able field than they do actually shooting.

There are few long time pigeon shooters but I hope you will still have the same enthusiasm in 10, 20 or more years from now.

Good luck for the future and has been said its not as easy as it looks and portrayed in the shooting press, but if you keep at it long enough you will one day be rewarded with a red letter day.   

Never a truer word spoken , a bit like wild fowling really , dead keen the first year , the second year they haven't really got the time and then over the next year or two they are looking for another hobby .

I can fully understand if you are short of time , short of perms and in a area where pigeons are not that numerous why a lot of short term pigeon shooters soon find it's not really for them . I am not saying the op will go the same way , but if he do he wont be the first and certainly wont be the last. .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Never a truer word spoken , a bit like wild fowling really , dead keen the first year , the second year they haven't really got the time and then over the next year or two they are looking for another hobby .

I can fully understand if you are short of time , short of perms and in a area where pigeons are not that numerous why a lot of short term pigeon shooters soon find it's not really for them . I am not saying the op will go the same way , but if he do he wont be the first and certainly wont be the last. .

I still enjoy being out in the field it’s  better than being sat at home or as westley says out shopping the only problem for me is I’m limited to where I can shoot only on fields booked through nppc and there are only 3 with in thirty mins drive waiting on the new list for the next 12 months ..it’s also the wrong time of year to ask a farmer to protect his stubble fields I believe .. I have given my card to 3 gamekeepers in the hope of getting some beating to open  a door or 2  also going on a shoot run by a friends father  ... there is also that good man called jdog who invites me to shoot with him who I have gained what knowledge I have  so even though I’m fed up I Ain’t planning on quitting just yet