Would you try and fix a broken car stereo?

spandit

Was fitting a Philips DAB stereo into my kit car. I bought it specially a few years ago so it's basically brand new. Wired it in and it worked fine, even with the aerial in the boot.

Went through all the hassle of cutting the necessary hole for it to fit in but inadvertently left the ignition switched on for a few days until the battery was completely flat. When I came back into my workshop I put the car back on charge again but the radio doesn't work now. It's getting power (battery fully charged and 5.7L V8 starts fine :D) and the fuse in the back of it is intact. Even took it apart to see if there was an internal fuse but couldn't see one.

Any clues before I bin £100 of of electronics? 😞

Edited by spandit

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

are you getting power to the stereo in the first place ?

26 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Check the continuity of the wiring and be sure you have both the red and yellow wire fitted to 12v at the same time to test it. 

Definitely getting power. Both red and yellow are fed from the same 12V line and a stereo I borrowed from another vehicle works. It's just bizarre.

24 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Have you tripped the code out 

harnser

Doesn't have a code. It gets weirder...

Since I took the stereo out of my Suzuki Jimny, I had the wiring loom exposed so plugged it in, knowing that the wiring is good on there (it's fine on my kit car, as it happens). As predicted, still dead but in my frustration I pressed every button on the front panel. Wasn't sure if it was my imagination but when I pressed the CD eject button, I thought I heard a small noise. Poked a CD in the slot and it switched on! The buttons on the front don't work as they should, though. The volume knob, for example, needs to be pressed in and turned (just turning it does nothing) and the FWD (>>) and BACK (<<) seek buttons change the input source. The source button switches MAX ON/OFF (whatever that is). The CD does actually play, but I can't change tracks. Took the panel off to see if there was any dirt in the contacts and when I put it back on again, it won't switch on and I can't get the CD out. Haunted, I reckon 😮

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

lifes too short................give it a pilots liecence........:good:

It's in the airing cupboard in case there was moisture somewhere. I've bought a new one that was on clearance from Hellfrauds. It has Bluetooth which the old one didn't. It's fitted now anyway and I've managed to fit the speakers in too without doing a lot of damage. Also tidied up a bit of wiring that I'd been meaning to for ages. Going to Goodwood in it on Sunday morning, weather permitting.

3 hours ago, kenholland said:

you could have burnt the coil out leaving the ignition on as well , but not sure ?.

It has coil per cylinder - they're fine. Engine starts and runs normally.

Nice cars,  son has a Westfield and being light as a shoe goes like the proverbial stabbed rat with a prod of the loud pedal. Side pipe exhaust sounds nice too.

How does it handle, is it tail happy. Did you build it from the kit ?

Edited by figgy