First driven shoot

Jacko3275

It is early in the season to be shooting pheasants. They may not be fully grown and may never have flown in their life before and may not be testing targets.

Circumspection is the key. Your reputation will be made by the birds you don’t fire at rather than those you do.

6 minutes ago, snow white said:

Will be fine unless you are going extremely high bird shooting 

They ain't gonna be high in early October! So point the gun straight and 29g x 6's will be fine!

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

It is early in the season to be shooting pheasants. They may not be fully grown and may never have flown in their life before and may not be testing targets.

Circumspection is the key. Your reputation will be made by the birds you don’t fire at rather than those you do.

This ^

I have just seen that you are out in early October like  JDog as stayed your reputation will be on the line pick your birds.I out Saturday on the duck few of we where picking our birds but there were some young guns with us that where shooting not low birds but close ones fair play to the keeper he had a quiet word with them.

When I mean not low I was on about birds that would be dangerous to shoot all the young guns where shooting birds that was overhead shots so shooting  straight up safe.

33 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, ok but i would think to take some different cartridges just in case there maybe some partridge 

What do I need for partridge surely pigeon carts will do ... Or do I need carts with smaller shot size more like clay carts 

2 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

What do I need for partridge surely pigeon carts will do ... Or do I need carts with smaller shot size more like clay carts 

Yes, they’ll be fine. Even if they weren’t, you wouldn’t have time to swap about anyhow! 

Stop worrying and just enjoy yourself. 👍

41 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

It is early season but if the shoot is putting the day on the birds should be fine. I am sure you will still have some sporting birds to shoot at and your set up will be fine. 

It’s a reputable shoot at Chatsworth so I don’t think they would run a shoot if the bird weren’t ready

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yes, they’ll be fine. Even if they weren’t, you wouldn’t have time to swap about anyhow! 

Stop worrying and just enjoy yourself. 👍

I just don’t want to turn up looking like a complete muppet with overkill carts or ones that are inadequate you can’t beat the voice of experience.....

1 hour ago, JDog said:

How do I know what to shoot and what not to obviously leave the low ones as there are beaters and picker in the line of fire 

15 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

How do I know what to shoot and what not to obviously leave the low ones as there are beaters and picker in the line of fire 

Keep an eye on the rest of the line to get a gauge of how they are picking them. First drive don't feel you have to pull the trigger. Early season chances are there will be a lot of birds, and maybe some big flushes, pick the best individuals, and if they don't get up, let them on by. Your cartridges will be spot on.

If you've been at a driven shoot before you'll have a good idea of what a sporting bird is. If you leave a few from the first drive that you are unsure about no-one is going to have a go at you. Last thing you want to be doing is pillow casing pheasants. You've got the whole day to enjoy and relax into it. Don't be greedy, don't be dangerous, don't shoot low ones, pickup your empties (unless requested not to), make a note of moving up numbers between drives, and make a note of any signals to start/end of drive. Good luck!

If you've got a picker-up nearby maybe have a chat with them before the drive, they will have a wealth of experience and can help keep you right. But stick with what the ones above have said and you won't go wrong :)

Another point is when to take your shot, if the bird is coming directly at you and climbing, take your first shot well out so it will drop at your feet or just behind you, don’t wait till its directly overhead, if you miss with the first shot you can then follow through with your second shot.

Also with high oncoming birds use the left barrel first ½ choke.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Your set up will be fine. Listen to all that the keeper tells you; if he tells you to be selective then be so.

If in doubt ask, you won’t be ridiculed for it. 

Enjoy yourself. 👍

This.   Go dressed tidy and be super safe handling your gun...not suggesting your not but the other guns will appreciate it. Main thing early season in particular, choose your birds and make sure they are sporting and safe to shoot at.  If there is enough sport and the occasional bird flies between you and your neighbour gun , then suggest it is his/her bird in good time.  This makes friends very quickly and similarly shooting what is obviously a neighbours bird will make enemies.  Always fair play to tidy up behind but remember there will probably be pickers up bak there, so great care again.  At the end of the day as well as a tip for the keeper make a point of going across to the beaters and thanking them for providing an enjoyable day.

As they say in the States...Enjoy !!

Edited by Walker570

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

This.   Go dressed tidy and be super safe handling your gun...not suggesting your not but the other guns will appreciate it. Main thing early season in particular, choose your birds and make sure they are sporting and safe to shoot at.  If there is enough sport and the occasional bird flies between you and your neighbour gun , then suggest it is his/her bird in good time.  This makes friends very quickly and similarly shooting what is obviously a neighbours bird will make enemies.  Always fair play to tidy up behind but remember there will probably be pickers up bak there, so great care again.  At the end of the day as well as a tip for the keeper make a point of going across to the beaters and thanking them for providing an enjoyable day.

As they say in the States...Enjoy !!

This.

I agree completely with thanking the beaters and picker ups, I beat about 50 days a season one regular gun always gives us a tin of Quality Streets which is greatly received.

Don’t go in camo as that will not go down very well but like the rest of they lads have said relax and enjoy yourself I know the first time I went many many years ago was I nervous I thought everyone was watching me but they are more interested the birds and once the drive starts all your nerves just go.

2 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

You will be fine I use pigeon cartridges for all game except ducks etc, fancy game cartridges are expensive for mere mortals like you and me and I doubt you notice any difference. Is it at Chatsworth House your going.