First driven shoot

Jacko3275

31 minutes ago, snow white said:

Don’t go in camo as that will not go down very well but like the rest of they lads have said relax and enjoy yourself I know the first time I went many many years ago was I nervous I thought everyone was watching me but they are more interested the birds and once the drive starts all your nerves just go.

Or take a sawn-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCvGiONTIs

Edited by old'un

Your choke/cartridge combination is spot on …. go and enjoy the day with confidence!!

Keepers also get miffed when folks don't shoot at stuff, so get a good feeling initially of what's the order of the day, then pick your targets and go for it. Nothing wrong with taking your second shot at the same bird if you've only half hit it.

If you only fire one shot, look up before you open your gun … nothing worse than breaking, then seeing the best bird of the day rocketing over your head.

It's also easy to get flustered when there's a big flush … stay calm and pick a good bird early and keep your focus on it (this is also a good time to get your feet right for where you envisage taking the shot). When that one's dead you can then pick your next.

Respect the horns / whistles.

😂 You're not going to remember any of the advice given, so just to confuse you further; as above, don't break your gun immediately after firing just the one barrel, unless there's definitely time to reload  ( you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as you break that gun a bird will present itself ) and don't catch your empties like you would at a clay shoot; just break the gun and let them be going. 

Once on your peg ask a fellow gun where the beaters are, if you don't know. Don't worry about marking your birds; it's your first driven shoot and they'll get picked anyhow. Cartridges in left hand pocket if you're right handed. Cartridge bag on the ground, not over your shoulder. DO NOT run out of cartridges. If you own a 20 bore but are using a 12 ensure you don't have 20's in any of your pockets before going. 

Pay attention to how you move up on the pegs and what number you turn on, which is usually dependant on which way the wind is blowing and whether its a Tuesday, in which case you divide the number of guns by your inside leg measurement and then add six. Think that just about covers it. 🙂

Don't forget....enjoy it, that's the only reason we do it.   

53 minutes ago, Scully said:

😂 You're not going to remember any of the advice given, so just to confuse you further; as above, don't break your gun immediately after firing just the one barrel, unless there's definitely time to reload  ( you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as you break that gun a bird will present itself ) and don't catch your empties like you would at a clay shoot; just break the gun and let them be going. 

Once on your peg ask a fellow gun where the beaters are, if you don't know. Don't worry about marking your birds; it's your first driven shoot and they'll get picked anyhow. Cartridges in left hand pocket if you're right handed. Cartridge bag on the ground, not over your shoulder. DO NOT run out of cartridges. If you own a 20 bore but are using a 12 ensure you don't have 20's in any of your pockets before going. 

Pay attention to how you move up on the pegs and what number you turn on, which is usually dependant on which way the wind is blowing and whether its a Tuesday, in which case you divide the number of guns by your inside leg measurement and then add six. Think that just about covers it. 🙂

Don't forget....enjoy it, that's the only reason we do it.   

Why don’t I catch my empties

I catch my empties, throwing one in front of me for each shot bird and the misses behind me. I then know how many birds I have down after each drive and the remainder are  behind me in one place to make collecting them easier at the end of the drive. This comes from experience of being stung by nettles too many times, whilst searching for the empties. I rarely get caught with an empty gun, by that 'elusive' bird. This also has the advantage of slowing you down and not having that 'red mist' descend by the sight of a lot of birds at once. 

Edited by Westley

6 minutes ago, Westley said:

I catch my empties, throwing one in front of me for each shot bird and the misses behind me. I then know how many birds I have down after each drive and the remainder are  behind me in one place to make collecting them easier at the end of the drive. This comes from experience of being stung by nettles too many times, whilst searching for the empties. I rarely get caught with an empty gun, by that 'elusive' bird. This also has the advantage of slowing you down and not having that 'red mist' descend by the sight of a lot of birds at once. 

I did wonder why there was so many empty’s behind you mate 😂 

4 minutes ago, Westley said:

I do the same 

dont be surprised if you have a very big pile behind and a small one in front 😊

enjoy your day 

dont be afraid to ask your fellow guns if you’re unsure about anything 

did any one mention a hat 🎩

Not a 🧢 

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I do the same 

dont be surprised if you have a very big pile behind and a small one in front 😊

enjoy your day 

dont be afraid to ask your fellow guns if you’re unsure about anything 

did any one mention a hat 🎩

Not a 🧢 

Am a Yorkshireman of course I’ve got a flat cap or 2

Scully’s advice for right handers to put cartridges in the left pocket is brilliant. I’ve never thought to do that, but I will this season.

In response to the original point, I’ve seen everything from 28g of 7s. to 34g of 4s in the empties bin and I don’t think anyone will notice or care much (although I did think the 4s a bit of a stiff load).

I may have missed it but I assume you are using felt wads as most shoots insist. If so they will be fine for pheasant or partridge. If you get the chance why not pattern the gun and cartridge at say thirty yards and you will know for certain you can trust your cartridge.

Good luck, relax and just enjoy the day. You certainly won’t if you start stressing.

Lots of good advice.

I'll add a couple, get a cartridge magnet, saves fumbling about in the nettles and getting muddy wet hands. Take a bag anything from a small carrier bag or a shoe bag to put you empties in you don't want to be putting muddy wet cartridges in your pocket.

Every shot you take you should see sky around the bird, don't swing up through the line of beaters, guns or pickers up behind you.

When you get to your peg don't be afraid to stand a yard or 2 behind or to the side if it is a better position for sitting your feet.

Dont brag about how many you shot!

If you are shooting well start testing yourself with maybe a bird your neighbour has missed! Just don't do it too often!!

Have cash for tips and any fines! Fines are usually given in a funscenario so don't be upset! They usually go towards the beaters night out!

like everyone else has said Enjoy your day.

Edited by Perazzishot
Typo