beast from the east

sam triple

11 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Sigh. Can't we just call it winter? I'm sure we used to do that.

yeah I remember freezing my nuts off round the bonfire on Nov 5th as a kid , unfourtunatly that seems to be a distant memory and winters don't seem to be that harsh anymore ,just wet as with most things these days everything attracts a label

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

You'ii know it is a cold winter when parts of Langstone harbour freeze over until March.

ill have to keep an eye on Langstone ,just joined the wildfowlers there

2 hours ago, Zapp said:

I like a decent winter and feel cheated when we have yet another 4 months of 7 degrees and drizzle.

We got through the weeks long freeze back in 2009 with only the fireplaces which was hard going at the time but also quite good fun.

We were trying to get out of the country early 2010 I was watching the monitors at Gatwick seeing all the airports closing down due to snow started with Düsseldorf then quickly spread across Europe, they were de icing the plane as we boarded and were possibly the last ones out 

ironically we have the same trip planned for next year about the same time 🙈

6 hours ago, henry d said:

A wee bit nippy, January 2010, River Tay...

DSC00600.JPG

Had the same with the Severn that year. Started snowing/freezing on the 26th of November and didn't start thawing until the 26th of December. Didn't realise how thick the river had frozen until boxing day when I though a cow had fallen into the river from the noise but it was the ice smashing and breaking up on the river. A few weeks later we had another freeze. Then I think we had a melting summer afterwards!