Dummy Needs Help

wymberley

Is there such a thing as a stand alone - except for the cable - reader which I can plug directly into my trail cam and view the pictures? I would be quite happy to only be able to see the photo currently displayed on the (very small) built in cam screen thus being able, I fancy, to leave the card where it is in the cam. Being quite deaf I only have a throw away mobile which I only use to text in an emergency so some all singing and dancing and expensive technical gizmo is not for me. Something less, even, than half the size of an I pad is more than sufficient.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, Shufti said:

Dont know whether this helps  but I take the sim card and put in my little canon camera then dead easy to skan and zoom in on any pictures.

works for me

If absolutely necessary, I could remove the card which opens up a generous range of options at various prices. The problem is, I already have the cams and I really need to be able to have something available in the field and I've found already that because of my old rheumy fingers the cam design is such that whereas I can "spring" the card release I need a pair of tweezers to completely remove it from its housing. This is prime "dropsy" territory. A simple cable connection between the cam and reader would be ideal.

New to trail cams myself and have a similar issue:

It would be nice to leave the camera in situ as it is damn fiddly strapping it to a tree/post/bush each time and getting the same "Picture Frame".

I am looking at using and old (very) smartphone to download the pics each week without moving the camera.  A laptop/notebook/ipad type thingy will do to, but I have the old phone (3 actually), and if it works you are welcome to one.

There is also the fact that the batteries are inserted from below so I almost certainly going to have to move the unit to renew these.

I realise that having things on the bottom makes waterproofing easier, but it is a damned inconvenient design for users.

Maybe better (more expensive) units have Bluetooth/WiFi to get at the pictures, but as the usb port in the only option, I guess it is all we can do.  On my units you can plug into the usb port without opening any hatches, a simple rubber cap covers the usb port.

I will hurry my phone tests and if successful, you can give it a go with yours.  If you have a friend with a smart phone, maybe they could try plugging into the camera and pulling the pics off.  You will need (sorry, jargon) a micro usb to micro usb, male-male cable (or equivalent) to do this,

Just a thought,

RS

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

If absolutely necessary, I could remove the card which opens up a generous range of options at various prices. The problem is, I already have the cams and I really need to be able to have something available in the field and I've found already that because of my old rheumy fingers the cam design is such that whereas I can "spring" the card release I need a pair of tweezers to completely remove it from its housing. This is prime "dropsy" territory. A simple cable connection between the cam and reader would be ideal.

Understand exactly.

Typical! All just gone pear shaped!

Because of the reviews and, I'll admit, the price (for good reason) I bought a couple of Campark T20s as discussed elsewhere. Plus then, oppo wanted one. Tried the first one and it was exactly what we were after except for the fiddly (for me) card slot. The one problem we do have is that we need to know what we're looking at while on site and with the small on board screen this can be difficult at the longer ranges - hence the thread. We then tried the next two. Let's just say that those two have been sent straight back from whence they came and will not be replaced. We bought them now because we need them now. Consequently, I've just ordered A.N. Other.

Thank you for your pointers, Guys and RS for his kind offer. I've got one of my lads on to it but meanwhile, I'll have a look at Curry's et al.

10 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Typical! All just gone pear shaped!

Because of the reviews and, I'll admit, the price (for good reason) I bought a couple of Campark T20s as discussed elsewhere. Plus then, oppo wanted one. Tried the first one and it was exactly what we were after except for the fiddly (for me) card slot. The one problem we do have is that we need to know what we're looking at while on site and with the small on board screen this can be difficult at the longer ranges - hence the thread. We then tried the next two. Let's just say that those two have been sent straight back from whence they came and will not be replaced. We bought them now because we need them now. Consequently, I've just ordered A.N. Other.

Thank you for your pointers, Guys and RS for his kind offer. I've got one of my lads on to it but meanwhile, I'll have a look at Curry's et al.

So come on then what was wrong with them, it might help someone who was looking at buying one, namely me.

25 minutes ago, old'un said:

So come on then what was wrong with them, it might help someone who was looking at buying one, namely me.

Will not record video. A nuisance as when they work they're not bad at all.If I have to find fault (other than the defect), it'll be that the Off/On/set Up switch could be more positive.

48 minutes ago, wymberley said:

The one problem we do have is that we need to know what we're looking at

Set up camera, leave usb cable in, trigger camera, connect to camera, look at captured images,  move camera, repeat until happy.

I found that waving plants/branches/facing the sun all gave unwanted triggers, filling up the card in a day or two.

RS

9 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Set up camera, leave usb cable in, trigger camera, connect to camera, look at captured images,  move camera, repeat until happy.

I found that waving plants/branches/facing the sun all gave unwanted triggers, filling up the card in a day or two.

RS

No, I meant we need to positively identify what animal  has been spotted - but, yep, I didn't actually say  what I meant. At a fair distance looking at the small 2.4" screen we couldn't easily decide whether we were looking at a fox or a cat which is one sure fire way of possibly upsetting the neighbours. Or, indeed, a fox or roe. But this is where the video helped out considerably.

4 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

What’s wrong with a pair of needle nose pliers, swapping cards, and reviewing the footage at home in comfort on your computer? A 32Gb SD card is less than £10, surely the budget will stretch to 2 of them per camera?

Nothing what-so-ever until you factor in the costs of a 20 mile round trip in terms of fuel and man hour wastage to do a job where the profit margin is already far too close to a negative figure.

9 hours ago, wymberley said:

At a fair distance looking at the small 2.4" screen

Hang on a second.  Do you mean you are doing this in real time?  You are using the trail cam to see what is in a certain area and then take some action on that information?

If that is the case, a tail camera is the wrong thing.  You would be looking at something like (warning, jargon) a power over Ethernet IP camera.  Basically a security camera that plugs into your device and has all the cameras needs provided by a single cable.  Maybe even a WiFi camera would have a greater range than peering at a 2.4" screen,

RS

1 hour ago, RockySpears said:

Hang on a second.  Do you mean you are doing this in real time?  You are using the trail cam to see what is in a certain area and then take some action on that information?

If that is the case, a tail camera is the wrong thing.  You would be looking at something like (warning, jargon) a power over Ethernet IP camera.  Basically a security camera that plugs into your device and has all the cameras needs provided by a single cable.  Maybe even a WiFi camera would have a greater range than peering at a 2.4" screen,

RS

+1

Now we can see more of the picture, unlike wymberly. 

Thete are trail cams that will do that but can become costly due to the amount of false triggers. 

1 hour ago, RockySpears said:

RS

No. Going to knock this on the head until the replcement unit arrives

2 hours ago, RockySpears said:

f that is the case, a tail camera is the wrong thing.

Thirded.

I've just re-read this thread from the beginning.  I think before we can help you, you needed tell us exactly what the problem is you're trying to solve.  You want to review footage on-site, but for what purpose?

12 hours ago, wymberley said:

Nothing what-so-ever until you factor in the costs of a 20 mile round trip in terms of fuel and man hour wastage to do a job where the profit margin is already far too close to a negative figure.

But surly whatever means you use to view the footage you have got to-go to the site where the camera is located to view the footage?