Back-bored vs Normal

shootingmike

I’m looking at the Franchi Affinity and the Winchester SX4...

General opinion seems to suggest the Franchi is the better choice because of better finish, easier to clean, made in Italy, 7 year warranty , but does it lack ability due to not having back bored barrels, bottom threaded chocked etc.? It’s like Winchester have thought about helping wildfowlers (which is what it’ll be used for), whereas Franchi have just gone for basic and reliable.

Is there much credibility in back bored / over bored barrels? Is there that much difference in patterns?

You'll get a lot of various views on this.

In short … if you're going to be using plastic wads, I'd go for overbored, but if fibre's are going to be more common, stick with the nominal bore. There's a lot of detail which get's lost when folks make generalisations, but in simple terms, that would be my advice.

Putting it in the right place will count for far more than any of the above, so picking the one which feels/fits best should be the priority.

Personal view -  I have shot both a lot and I prefer the Franchi over the SX3/4 but that it my view.  Both are really good guns.

The Franchi is so easy to clean whereas any gas gun will be dirtier and take longer to clean.

I own an Affinity and a Benelli, similar actions and both easy to clean.

Personally I prefer a standard to back bore, and as I shoot only fibre.

One thing to consider is gun fit. The Winchester does not have a stock shim system to adjust drop and cast, the Franchi does. I looked at a  new Winchester but the stock was far to low for me . 

I bought a Browning Maxus ( has shim system) and has back bored barrels . I  patterned the gun at 30 yd’s with the 1/4 choke using Hull Superfast Pigeon 29grm 6’s fibre and Gamebore Clear Pigeon fibre 32grm 6’s. Both shot lovely patterns but the Hull  cartridges gave tighter patterns. So I think the patterns will always depend on the cartridges used as much as the back boring. 

Hope that helps

Back boring and over boring are not the same thing. Most modern clay guns have over bored barrels of about 18.6 mm and (apart from the Beretta DT11) they can shoot fibre wads perfectly well. Back boring is an aftermarket procedure usually combined with lengthening the forcing cones.

No one has ever made a convincing case that proves either process to be of measurable benefit either to patterns or recoil.

For wildfowling both guns are good, the SX4 will be softer shooting and take 31/2" carts but will need cleaning as it's a gas system The Franchi won't need cleaning unless you get it wet or muddy the inertia action is clean.

Forget the bore size handle both and see if you can try them.  I can't tell the difference when shooting which is back bored.  I do know the invector plus barrels and action used in the SX4 can take some punishment 😉 if the franchi is a well finished and pushed as the benellis are, they are far better finished. But as a beater gun for fowling that your going to use hard does it matter.

If you want to save some money there is a very good Armsan 31/2" chambered wildfowling gun for sale in the wildfowling section.

Edited by figgy

I have an affinity and a Maxus and apart from the ease of cleaning the affinity vs the noticeable lower recoil of the maxus I can’t tell any difference in bores, but then again I’m just an average shot. If Franchi sold a high grade affinity with a nice bit of timber on it, I would definitely order another.

12 hours ago, shootingmike said:

Thanks for all the responses guys. How much more noticeable is the recoil on the franchi? I’ve never shot an inertia gun...

It's about the same as a lighter over and under. If your shooting fast steel 36g carts you will feel it more in the Franchi. The maxus or SX would be a lot smoother and give the 31/2" cartridge option.