New to the marsh

stuart21

Plus one on the mozzie spray but take some hand wipes, it stings like hell when it runs in your eyes if you sweat up walking on. Take a good torch and a bottle of water to drink. Head net gloves etc a stool to sit on helps if out for a while in a hide or gutter.

As said moon can be a great flight or very poor. I've experienced both, this time of year usually poor as birds stay on stubbles feeding in the moonlight and most don't flight at all in my area.

Most of all watch and listen, it's a nice thing to see and hear. Enjoy it and look forward to reading how it went.

Edited by figgy

25 minutes ago, motty said:

I believe I am to be this gentleman's guide for a morning flight.

It will be a pretty easy walk out where I have planned. There will be a chance of a mallard or two, if we are lucky.

As discussed, I will be available to answer any questions on the day.

In this case, double up on the ear defenders … :good:

Trouble with a diary is it gets a bit samey. Went out for evening flight, weather was rain and wind, blanked, another day perhaps.

I have two on my desk at home and every now and again I'll put a few notes in of more memorable days and flights. Reminds me I must make a couple of entries.

22 hours ago, figgy said:

Trouble with a diary is it gets a bit samey. Went out for evening flight, weather was rain and wind, blanked, another day perhaps.

I have two on my desk at home and every now and again I'll put a few notes in of more memorable days and flights. Reminds me I must make a couple of entries.

I wouldn't be without my diary. I have so many fond memories to look back on.

Also I can check back to see when I got my first pinks of each season etc.

22 hours ago, figgy said:

My diary must be very similar to your one , my very early years were in a note book , a few lines about the weather , if anyone was with me and then the bag .

Then the last 20 or so years I came upon one of those John Humphries ones , these are a bit posher but only enough room for date , place , a few lines about conditions and the bag , one good thing about a diary is you can see when the peak years was and how things have changed with the quantities of species .

From the early years where a few Curlew and waders were the main early season quarry , and then when we got some marshes to go on a few duck were bagged , moving on to the peak years where double figure bags of duck were fairly common and you imposed your own limit which in my case was 10 .

There was also a time where most seasons I would enter a flight of the season , this wasn't always about numbers shot , but sometimes the numbers seen and the conditions they were either shot in or seen in .

Now the last three years I have lost interest in the early part of the season and no longer bother with the diary , but like Motty say , it is something nice to look back on .

After reading the replies I must make an effort. I have a big Roger McPhail  illustrated game book and also the John Humphries one with little vignettes on each page, this one I got to keep up to date and then put memorable days in the big game book that I've had for years now.