New to the marsh

stuart21

On 11/09/2019 at 11:58, motty said:

I believe I am to be this gentleman's guide for a morning flight.

It will be a pretty easy walk out where I have planned. There will be a chance of a mallard or two, if we are lucky.

As discussed, I will be available to answer any questions on the day.

Looking forward to how the day went motty , not sure if the weather would have been in your favour but down here it was dead still with a bit of mist .

Unfortunately we didn’t get a shot, but it was brilliant to be out! Only fell over about 6 times 😜

Saw lots of greys, but we weren’t lucky enough to get close. There was a full moon and not even breeze.

Motty was a great host and taught us loads. Can’t wait till the next time!

I made a rookie mistake on the way home though. Forgot to wipe the new gun down, so the barrels were covered in surface rust.

Any recommendations on how to sort it out and how do you avoid it happening to you? It was only in the slip for a few hours.

Oil the gun before going so it's got a thin coating, only enough so a fingerprint shows in it. That should protect it untill you get it home to clean. I must the barrels in Napier cleaner oil with VP90 if going out with blued barrels in rain. Water beads and never had a problem.

My guns are very simple side by sides and although two them are ejectors they rarely get used to chuck the empties out as they were made to do , if I am in a hide or down the marsh in bad light I always put my hand over the spent cartridges and remove them myself , this save me looking about in the dark for a few empties .

I am not saying this is the right thing to do , but I am not one of the people who clean the gun after every time it is taken out , now and again it get a birthday present with a wipe down with a oily cloth that I keep in a polyphene bag in my gun cabinet , this is mainly after being out in heavy rain  and very rarely , if ever they let me down .

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 21:07, stuart21 said:

Unfortunately we didn’t get a shot, but it was brilliant to be out! Only fell over about 6 times 😜

Saw lots of greys, but we weren’t lucky enough to get close. There was a full moon and not even breeze.

Motty was a great host and taught us loads. Can’t wait till the next time!

I made a rookie mistake on the way home though. Forgot to wipe the new gun down, so the barrels were covered in surface rust.

Any recommendations on how to sort it out and how do you avoid it happening to you? It was only in the slip for a few hours.

I degrease and spray mine with stove paint from aldi  let it set then flash over with a propane torch to cure  gives a matt finish ,  been doing this for many years  you may need to refresh wear points    ( muzzle every couple of yrs from putting in a slip )  if selling on,  solvent will clean back to original bluing  , if a camo print gun I cant help i never had one,    whatever you do  not use wd 40 as acid etches the metal,   if you want a lubricant that works below freezing and doesn't gum up    mix equal parts   ATF gearbox  fluid KEROCENE  and WHITE SPIRITS  known as edds red    works a treat , a little goes a long way  , cheap as well 

Edited by Saltings