Good Year For Sloes ?

marsh man

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Very few sloes , plums and damsons on my farms.

Strange because one garden centre 15 miles inland didn't have p y o plums this year although there were some on the trees , and yet we are only a mile from the sea and the hedgerows are full of all sort of berries .

If you want any Sloes let me know and I will get you some :good:

P S .... Do they have any in Greece , or is the climate wrong ?

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

Strange because one garden centre 15 miles inland didn't have p y o plums this year although there were some on the trees , and yet we are only a mile from the sea and the hedgerows are full of all sort of berries .

I've never seen sloes or even blackthorn but they have plums in the shops at present along with all the other fruits.

1 minute ago, GingerCat said:

Hardly any plums on my tree this year, maybe half a pound. Last year I had over 12 lbs easily and gave the rest away. 

My Apple is scabby as well but has been fine for the last 4 years. The pear is laden too for a change. Lots of sloes in the hedges. 

I think figgy hit the nail on the head with local weather conditions at the time of pollination , whatever the weather you will always get some fruit and veg that will do well and others that will do badly  , overall this year seem a poor year for Plumbs .

This afternoon I saw good numbers of prime Blackberries . 

Went out to find some sloes today at my normal spots only to find very few in evidence, so it looks like the damson vodka will be alone in the shed this year. 

The two morello cherry trees in my garden were also virtually devoid of fruit this year, so any there were left for the birds to enjoy.

It appears to be a regional thing to do with the weather at pollination time as Figgy said, so good luck to MM and anyone else who has an abundance of sloes.

OB

11 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Went out to find some sloes today at my normal spots only to find very few in evidence, so it looks like the damson vodka will be alone in the shed this year. 

The two morello cherry trees in my garden were also virtually devoid of fruit this year, so any there were left for the birds to enjoy.

It appears to be a regional thing to do with the weather at pollination time as Figgy said, so good luck to MM and anyone else who has an abundance of sloes.

OB

We have got a Morello or an ornamental  cherry tree in the back garden and this year there were a good amount of cherries , once the Blackbirds find them all that is left is the pips  

On 10/09/2019 at 09:17, marsh man said:

I will take 4 kilos.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my report of absolutely no sloes in my area, I received a message shortly afterwards from Wooder on here to say that he would pick some for me.

These I picked up from his house yesterday and would like to thank him for his kindness and to once again reaffirm that this is a great forum to be part of, with some, if not all, very kind folks involved. I would add that they were some of the largest and best sloes that I`ve ever seen and are already wallowing in the gin.

So thanks again Nigel,

OB

22 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Further to my report of absolutely no sloes in my area, I received a message shortly afterwards from Wooder on here to say that he would pick some for me.

These I picked up from his house yesterday and would like to thank him for his kindness and to once again reaffirm that this is a great forum to be part of, with some, if not all, very kind folks involved. I would add that they were some of the largest and best sloes that I`ve ever seen and are already wallowing in the gin.

So thanks again Nigel,

OB

pleasure Chris, thanks for the beer and the 2017 sloe gin wife intends to try a sloegasm at the weekend 😉 (sparking wine and sloe gin). when we went picking some bushes were loaded others totally devoid of any fruit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have still got two bottles of last years brew though getting through that as nightcap at the mo due to the first snivels of the cold season.  I recon the local bushes ( Yorkshire) need a week yet. But the blackberry crop was very good . I can’t imagine we will beat last years crop but if half as good I will be happy. Mrs Agriv8 very interested in how to create a sloegasm and no need for Finbar  Saunders and his double entendres (fnarff,  fnarff )

atb Agriv8 

11 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

I have still got two bottles of last years brew though getting through that as nightcap at the mo due to the first snivels of the cold season.  I recon the local bushes ( Yorkshire) need a week yet. But the blackberry crop was very good . I can’t imagine we will beat last years crop but if half as good I will be happy. Mrs Agriv8 very interested in how to create a sloegasm and no need for Finbar  Saunders and his double entendres (fnarff,  fnarff )

atb Agriv8 

The 'Sloegasm' as Wooder now knows, makes a good summer drink by putting a small measure of sloe gin into a long glass and topping up with Prosecco or any sparkling white wine. Ice can be added if required. It makes for a good aperitif.

It's interesting to see the reactions of some women (and their husbands) invited round to your house who are greeted with. -:  "How do you fancy a Sloegasm ?"

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

****** off with your Sloes!!! Can't find any around here, I assume the great Grey masses have swarmed the bushes before I got there 😞

I`ve not known pigeons to eat sloes, but maybe wrong there. It appears to be a regional thing where some areas are inundated with sloes and other areas non-existant.

As has been said, it is no doubt down to conditions at pollination time.

OB

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

Not pigeons, old people 🤣

Sorry that I misinterpreted your `grey masses` for pigeon and not us old and wrinklies.

You realise of course that your comment was probably aimed at a very good percentage of PW members, but don`t worry, we are a broad-shouldered lot. 

You`ll just have to get up earlier in future if you wish to beat us to the sloe harvest :whistling:

OB 

5 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Sorry that I misinterpreted your `grey masses` for pigeon and not us old and wrinklies.

You realise of course that your comment was probably aimed at a very good percentage of PW members

Don't worry, I'm catching up pretty quickly!

The problem with old 'uns is that they know things and have the time to act on that knowledge. Im at the age where I have neither knowledge nor time 🤣