Sign in to follow this  
Papercase

Gun Cleaning FAIL

So we recently moved in to a new build house. I was cleaning my pump action in the bathroom this eve, when for some reason I decided to push the bronze brush through with the top of the barrel in the air instead of pointing down.

The white wall now has a mix of Napier cleaner and Eley Mammoth residue... What a mingmong! Cue grovelling in three, two, one...

Just tell her you had a dicky tummy, you bent over to pick something up and you ****** ... she won't mention it again. 

Learned my lesson years ago, I use a bit of carpet put the muzzle on and rod from the breech till hits carpet, can go as hard and fast as needs to clean without fear of spraying cack everywhere.

Try white spirit to clean the walls off and say nowt.

37 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just tell her you had a dicky tummy, you bent over to pick something up and you ****** ... she won't mention it again. 

If it was that black Lloyd we'd have bigger issues!

The garage is work in progress, I've built my shelving but need to get my bench done, maybe this can be leverage? 

i got banned from the bathroom cause i used to clean my black powder 8 bore barrels in the bath with hot water and soap before i dried and oiled it..........it left a unremoverble black ring right around the bath..........

she was defo not pleased...

new bath

Jesus! I knew blackpowder was some nasty stuff but that's something else

Edited by Papercase
Autocorrected to Blackpower 🤦🏼‍♂️

I shot some black powder carts last season, never hit a bloody thing. Barrels stunk and took ages to clean dry and oil.  Lucky the utility sink is a big stainless one with dark worktops around it.  Swarfega took the black **** off the sink.

That's why I use an old popcorn bucket with a hole in the lid and a rag in the bottom no mess no need to grovel 

8 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

That's why I use an old popcorn bucket with a hole in the lid and a rag in the bottom no mess no need to grovel 

Their must be a thousand dirty jokes in that post 😅.

32 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

I thought everyone had a gun room for this?

Me too 

i had a word with my man he said obviously not the thing to do cleaning your own guns

leave all cleaning to the servants and chauffeur

gun cleaning is not a thing to be done by the unskilled it’ll take years of training and preparation to do a proper job 

he advised me to retire to the billiard room and have a port whilst he took care of it  

and here’s the rub 🙄

i had to pour it myself 🤔

I use one of those ‘bags for life’ lined with a normal thin plastic bag. The former is placed on the floor and has stiff sides whilst the plastic bag retains any spray from the bronze brush.

I used to put my Ruger old army in the dishwasher when her indoors was out. She came home early once and decided to open the dishwasher to find my gleaming clean stainless revolver in it. Bought an old machine after that and stuck it into the garage. 

I just send mine back to purdey & sons (I wish) clean mine in the garden weather permitting or in the man cave our lass doesn’t care if that’s a mess 

On 10/09/2019 at 16:24, mel b3 said:

Their must be a thousand dirty jokes in that post 😅.

Very funny, when you get to my age that doesn't occur to you