rust on gun

mossy835

If not too bad you can make it disappear, but it will always be prone as the bluing is missing in spots. Keeping your gun oiled and a VP90 patch hung in your cabinet will stop it.

A AYA Yeoman over and under I had for my son would rust as you watched it. Had to keep it coated in a thin film of oil, Inc bores and chambers.

Edited by figgy

10 hours ago, figgy said:

If not too bad you can make it disappear, but it will always be prone as the bluing is missing in spots. Keeping your gun oiled and a VP90 patch hung in your cabinet will stop it.

A AYA Yeoman over and under I had for my son would rust as you watched it. Had to keep it coated in a thin film of oil, Inc bores and chambers.

Sixty years ago I was taught that all guns should always be stored coated in a thin film of oil.

I have never experienced any rusting on my guns.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Sixty years ago I was taught that all guns should always be stored coated in a thin film of oil.

I have never experienced any rusting on my guns.

Modern light oils dry out some leave a gum others a varnish like substance. If you haven't used a gun in a long time and there was any moisture rust can happen as it did to me and the op.  Keeping on cleaning even if not used is key.

Lloyd90 they help but answer is no. VP90 is a vapour that coats the metal and stops corrosion. The Napier gun cleaner has it in, I rarely use the product but do lightly spray the carpet type lining in my cabinet four times a year, just a quick spray and never suffered any rust problems even on a very cheap beater of a Spanish sxs. 

On 11/09/2019 at 12:34, figgy said:

Lloyd90 they help but answer is no. VP90 is a vapour that coats the metal and stops corrosion. The Napier gun cleaner has it in, I rarely use the product but do lightly spray the carpet type lining in my cabinet four times a year, just a quick spray and never suffered any rust problems even on a very cheap beater of a Spanish sxs. 

Thank you I bought one of the sachets and have stuck it on the inside wall of the gun cabinet. 

Hope that’s right. 

10 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thank you I bought one of the sachets and have stuck it on the inside wall of the gun cabinet. 

Hope that’s right. 

Spot on Lloyd. Write the date on the sachet when you installed it, and replace every 12 months. Also, don't leave your cabinet door open for too long. I've used the sachets for many years and have never had problems.

18 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Spot on Lloyd. Write the date on the sachet when you installed it, and replace every 12 months. Also, don't leave your cabinet door open for too long. I've used the sachets for many years and have never had problems.

Have written the date on it mate. 

I haven’t had a problem in ages but recently spotted tiny bit of rusting very light on one of the guns. 

Each of mine is kept in its own gun sock, wiped down periodically with a sportsman type silicon impregnated cloth. Plus I've got a vp90 sachet and moisture trap. 

No rust or dried out woodwork. 

Maybe overkill but I've no idea why anyone would spend thousands on guns then be reluctant to pay £8 a year on a sachet of vp90? 

Like everyone has said - it's a combination of good gun cleaning and some preventative measures.

I always clean, wipe with an oily cloth and store. I do have a couple of gun socks that are meant to be impregnated with the Napier stuff as well (or similar product).

Thanks for the heads up on the VP90 patch. It's been a while since I changed mine! I've just ordered one 😮

On 11/09/2019 at 12:21, Lloyd90 said:

Would one of those big blocks that is a moisture trap work better? They're about half the price and much bigger. 

I save the little silica Gell pouches that come in packaging (like teabags marked "do not eat" dry them out in an open jam jar in the oven every few months. By a strange coincidence they are in there at the moment.

Cabinets have to be bolted to an outside wall usually and in an older house that wall can be cold. It then becomes a massive heat exchanger and condensation is not far away.

Its a known problem 

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 00:08, Lloyd90 said:

Be VERY careful you don't wear off the bluing. 

If indeed it is bluing (as in chemically colouring the metal)  and not a lacquer type coating which is more common on modern guns

Edited by Vince Green

I would not put a Brillo pad anywhere near my guns, the pads are impregnated with a soap. I have done countless barrels and actions that have had surface rust on them (NOT mine I hasten to add), I have always used 0000 (FOUR) grade steel wool, having first sprayed the rusted area with 3 in 1 spray oil, rubbing lightly in a circular motion across the affected area. I store all of my guns in individual gun socks, but I use a microfibre cloth impregnated with car engine oil to wipe all of the exterior metal. The car engine oil tends to stick to the metal better than most gun oils and is a lot cheaper too. I am still using the 2 litre GTX that I bought some 20 years ago and it is well over half full yet. The steel wool can be purchased from any furniture refinishing suppliers and I have seen it in Buy & Queue.

On 10/09/2019 at 20:21, figgy said:

Modern light oils dry out some leave a gum others a varnish like substance. If you haven't used a gun in a long time and there was any moisture rust can happen as it did to me and the op.  Keeping on cleaning even if not used is key.

My S x S has not been used in 2 years, but has been treated as above and stored in a gun sock. I took it out last week and it is in perfect condition, with no trace of rust. Just replaced in the sock and back in cupboard. 

On 10/09/2019 at 07:35, panoma1 said:

Cabinet makers grade wirewool 0000 grade I think? Dipped in oil, rub area gently, check often, until you feel the roughness of the rust turns to smoothness!

+1  works a treat, even removed scratches off my barrel without removing blueing. my gunsmith showed me this.