Hammond on the new Landrover

Stonepark

At £45k for a basic spec 110, and the commercial variant coming 'late 2020', it's clear to me that JLR are not interested in the market segment that is currently paying £26k-odd for a mid spec 'Japanese' pick up.

I'm sure it'll sell well, but I just can't previous buyers of the Defender - other than the monied-hipster market or the (ugh) 'urban tuners' - buying this.

I like it. It's not a Defender, though. Land Rover abandoned the utility market long ago and I very much doubt this will get back many sheep farmers who are used to their Hiluxes (Hiluxii?)

The fact they've given it that name makes me less likely to buy it (not that I am in the market for a £40,000+ car at the moment :))

I do wonder how many customers actually need serious off-roading capability, though? Crossing the odd field or building site doesn't need 900mm wading or lifted suspension. Aside from those that enjoy playing off-road (and it's very enjoyable) I doubt there are many who actually do that many expeditions or serious off-road work

well you wont want to get the paintwork scratched at that sort of money, its over complicated and to posh, don’t think you will get many farmers buying it to bring a Ewe off the hill, but it will sell.

talking of paintwork I have a mate who has a body repair shop, he was telling me how rubbish the new water based paints and clear top coat are, they are not hard and scratch so easy, I know this from experience as I have a Jeep with water based paint and it scratches if you brush against a leaf, just imagine taking that down a narrow farm track with a uncut hawthorn hedge either side.  

Edited by old'un

White elephant, JLR are loosing a lot of money.

Not surprising when you look at the poor reliability record and the money people are now buying Bentley's and Rolls for big SUV road tractors.  They have tried to corner every bit of the market with poor vehicles. More marketing bull to try and sell another cloned chassis and running gear motor.

Should have stuck to what they were good at, building tough no nonsense off roaders instead of lifestyle never go offroad cars.

They lost the farmers when they bought pickups and realised they were cheaper and better suited to their needs.

I quite like it not that I will be buying one any time soon. I do worry that the electronics won't be reliable, the more modern  land rovers haven't been great as far as that goes! I can't see many being use as the old defender was but the old one couldn't be brought up to modern safety regs etc so land rover never had much chose but to change it.

14 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I quite like it not that I will be buying one any time soon. I do worry that the electronics won't be reliable, the more modern  land rovers haven't been great as far as that goes! I can't see many being use as the old defender was but the old one couldn't be brought up to modern safety regs etc so land rover never had much chose but to change it.

Not rocket science to build a good hard working motor but still have all the safety features. WHO needs all that lectronic gadjetry?

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Not rocket science to build a good hard working motor but still have all the safety features. WHO needs all that lectronic gadjetry?

I agree about the electrics, most on there are not needed but even my transit has traction controll, abs, hill start, blue tooth hands free etc etc etc. I think they would have been better to have just fitted what was needed and spent the time and money making it as good as it can be. As for being a good hard working vehicle time will tell for the vehicle and if land rove produce a basic pickup or van etc at a more sensible price  

3 hours ago, bluesj said:

I agree about the electrics, most on there are not needed but even my transit has traction controll, abs, hill start, blue tooth hands free etc etc etc. I think they would have been better to have just fitted what was needed and spent the time and money making it as good as it can be. As for being a good hard working vehicle time will tell for the vehicle and if land rove produce a basic pickup or van etc at a more sensible price  

Transits,secure as a tent and lets just skip rust prevention,good old ford.Thanks….

Really like the new defender 90 and I also like the jaguar f pace,cant afford either so hey ho.

Edited by vampire

On 10/09/2019 at 17:08, figgy said:

White elephant, JLR are loosing a lot of money.

Not surprising when you look at the poor reliability record and the money people are now buying Bentley's and Rolls for big SUV road tractors.  They have tried to corner every bit of the market with poor vehicles. More marketing bull to try and sell another cloned chassis and running gear motor.

Should have stuck to what they were good at, building tough no nonsense off roaders instead of lifestyle never go offroad cars.

They lost the farmers when they bought pickups and realised they were cheaper and better suited to their needs.

Couldn`t agree more,dunno that JLR ever had a plot but they`ve certainly lost it if they did!!!

It's aimed at the money market not the farmers market they have the Ford type pick ups. Down here in Greece for the third year with my Disco 5  I've not seen another on the journey for three years. Plenty of Range Rover Evoques etc. Having driven Range Rovers and Discoveries for the past thirty years, my son is saying my next shooting vehicle will be a Ford Ranger Rapter at half the price saving his inheritance?????

Struggling to type that after three pints of cider for lunch so I can use the WiFi in the local bar, what the heck !!!!!!!

how is the replacement nicker net going.............i hope you havnt upset any old ladies....in your quest for material

On 10/09/2019 at 13:36, Walker570 said:

Chelsea Tractor.................  How they can use the title DEFENDER I do not know.  A couple of weeks going and doing what and where I go and it would be a wreck.

AND  not even made in the UK.

i could never driver a car with a funny face on the front.................remember that ford car that looked like a wide mouthed frog..........when ford unvieled it to the dealship boys they laughed.....

look at the front of the landrover..........:ninja:

just listened to an interview on BBC 24....of the designer of the "new defender".........Professor blah di blah..........what a jumped up little twirp he is and the total and utter bull excrement he came out with

ok so it is a new model of some sort......there is already a range rover ...then the sport then the disco then the free lander....why this for christ sake........IT IS NOT A DEFENDER  :big_boss:capish !!!!

ok sell it as the model "landrover bottom sucker"............and make loads of dosh..........................

but DONT SELL IT AS A DEFENDER:mad: