Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stonepark

Hammond on the new Landrover

Recommended Posts

Starting at the top of the range, the vogue on its own floor pan , the RR sport the Velar the discovery then we get to the lower ranges the Evoque and discovery sport read Freelander with posher name. Six different offroaders from one maker and they need another with even more electronic carp and bismirch the name Land Rover Defender.

JLR are not the only makers manufacturing too many off-road models, lots are at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst ‘professor’ Jerry McGovern is in charge, there’s no way whatever bears the moniker of Defender was going to be what those on this forum want it to be. 

Look at the Disco 4 -> Disco 5 transformation under his leadership, a triumph of design over function, and it has lost market share.  People want big, boxy and capable in a disco.  A rather expensive vehicle that will do ok offroad and drag 3.5t behind it whilst full of a kids+dogs and not be overweight.

The Defender commercial variant that JmcG was proud to show off at the launch won't appear until 'late 2020', and apparently will 'start' at £35k, that's £10k more than a Mitsubishi/Isuzu.  Jap pick ups might not be as capable as a basic (pre 2016) Defender, but they follow the 80/20 rule in that they do 80% of things well enough whilst keeping the occupants in comfort.

Put another way, I was in the market for a Jap Pickup before the launch....and I'm still in the market for one.  £45K?  No chance. 

By the way, I have an F-reg 110 in pieces (it's a the rolling chassis stage), so I'm under no illusions that the quality of the old design was....variable, to put it politely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, figgy said:

Starting at the top of the range, the vogue on its own floor pan , the RR sport the Velar the discovery then we get to the lower ranges the Evoque and discovery sport read Freelander with posher name. Six different offroaders from one maker and they need another with even more electronic carp and bismirch the name Land Rover Defender.

JLR are not the only makers manufacturing too many off-road models, lots are at it.

Dont forget there is the F Pace by LJ R as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, B725 said:

Dont forget there is the F Pace by LJ R as well. 

True I did remember that one but not carrying the Range Rover or LR badge I didn't include it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did he say 85 ecu's in the car?

which ones can i hit with a lump hammer, spray with wd40 and get going again?

f.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fuddster said:

did he say 85 ecu's in the car?

which ones can i hit with a lump hammer, spray with wd40 and get going again?

f.

Err anyone you choose, it won’t make a blind ha’porth of difference the world has moved on since the introduction of the original Depender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...