Hammond on the new Landrover

Stonepark

Starting at the top of the range, the vogue on its own floor pan , the RR sport the Velar the discovery then we get to the lower ranges the Evoque and discovery sport read Freelander with posher name. Six different offroaders from one maker and they need another with even more electronic carp and bismirch the name Land Rover Defender.

JLR are not the only makers manufacturing too many off-road models, lots are at it.

Whilst ‘professor’ Jerry McGovern is in charge, there’s no way whatever bears the moniker of Defender was going to be what those on this forum want it to be. 

Look at the Disco 4 -> Disco 5 transformation under his leadership, a triumph of design over function, and it has lost market share.  People want big, boxy and capable in a disco.  A rather expensive vehicle that will do ok offroad and drag 3.5t behind it whilst full of a kids+dogs and not be overweight.

The Defender commercial variant that JmcG was proud to show off at the launch won't appear until 'late 2020', and apparently will 'start' at £35k, that's £10k more than a Mitsubishi/Isuzu.  Jap pick ups might not be as capable as a basic (pre 2016) Defender, but they follow the 80/20 rule in that they do 80% of things well enough whilst keeping the occupants in comfort.

Put another way, I was in the market for a Jap Pickup before the launch....and I'm still in the market for one.  £45K?  No chance. 

By the way, I have an F-reg 110 in pieces (it's a the rolling chassis stage), so I'm under no illusions that the quality of the old design was....variable, to put it politely.

17 minutes ago, figgy said:

Starting at the top of the range, the vogue on its own floor pan , the RR sport the Velar the discovery then we get to the lower ranges the Evoque and discovery sport read Freelander with posher name. Six different offroaders from one maker and they need another with even more electronic carp and bismirch the name Land Rover Defender.

JLR are not the only makers manufacturing too many off-road models, lots are at it.

Dont forget there is the F Pace by LJ R as well.