Another Ebay Question Please

marsh man

Evening All ... A few details first about the question , I sold a shirt to a buyer in London , he paid the next day ( £7.50 plus £3.20 postage ) , I posted it the same day and clicked on his buyers details to say it was dispatched  , then over three weeks later he sent me a message to say when I am going to post his shirt as he haven't received it , I still had the p o p receipt and sent him all the details to say when it was posted , I then entered the tracking number at the Royal Mail and it said it was delivered but nobody was there to receive it , I got in touch with the buyer to tell him to enquire at his sorting office , now after six weeks he have opened a refund case as he say it is my job to sort it out with the Royal Mail and not his , this don't seem right with me .

So the question is ,   Would I still have to refund him ?

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Would I still have to refund him ?

If it was documented as having been delivered I can't imagine why you would. Surely it stands to reason that if he chose the delivery address and the delivery address turned out to be insecure or whatever, that would be his business and not yours. What were you supposed to do? Check that he'd got a lock on his post box before you dispatched the order? 

Wait - an edit. Did you or Ebay give him the tracking number when it was dispatched? 

Edited by Retsdon

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

If it was documented as having been delivered I can't imagine why you would. Surely it stands to reason that if he chose the delivery address and the delivery address turned out to be insecure or whatever, that would be his business and not yours. What were you supposed to do? Check that he'd got a lock on his post box before you dispatched the order? 

:good: THANKS  Retsdon

43 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Evening All ... A few details first about the question , I sold a shirt to a buyer in London , he paid the next day ( £7.50 plus £3.20 postage ) , I posted it the same day and clicked on his buyers details to say it was dispatched  , then over three weeks later he sent me a message to say when I am going to post his shirt as he haven't received it , I still had the p o p receipt and sent him all the details to say when it was posted , I then entered the tracking number at the Royal Mail and it said it was delivered but nobody was there to receive it , I got in touch with the buyer to tell him to enquire at his sorting office , now after six weeks he have opened a refund case as he say it is my job to sort it out with the Royal Mail and not his , this don't seem right with me .

Edit......Question answered below.

Edited by Snoozer

7 minutes ago, old'un said:

If he has logged the issue with Ebay you will have to refund him, if that’s what he is demanding.

...even if the Post Office has documented the package as having been delivered? if that's the case I'm wondering what's to stop someone simply keeping an item and then claiming they'd never received it. 'Thank you for the shirt and now give me my money back' sort of thing.

It seems a bit harsh on the seller.

18 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Wait - an edit. Did you or Ebay give him the tracking number when it was dispatched? 

No , are you required to give the tracking number each time you post an item unless requested ? , if I sell anything over £20 then I send it signed for .

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

...even if the Post Office has documented the package as having been delivered? if that's the case I'm wondering what's to stop someone simply keeping an item and then claiming they'd never received it. 'Thank you for the shirt and now give me my money back' sort of thing.

It seems a bit harsh on the seller.

The item was marked as posted but nobody was at home , so I presumed they took it back to the sorting office , I did ask the buyer why he left it a long time before he enquired where it was and weather a note was left by the postman , up to now I haven't had a reply .

I had a similar experience. The advice from the EBay forum was to refund the buyer, put it down to experience  and in future have the delivery signed for, otherwise you risk getting negative feedback..

The best bit of advice from them was change your selling settings so that in future, bids will only be accepted from bidders with 99% feedback. I looked up the feedback for the woman who scammed me, her feedback was dreadful about 80%! Sadly there are scum who will happily scam people for just a few quid.

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The number on 2nd class delivery is a Ref number although you can still track it when and if it had bee delivered .

It is unfair, but if the buyer says he has not received the item then you will have to make a refund, there been cases where even signed for items have been reported as not received with the buyer denying that the signature was theirs.  

6 minutes ago, old'un said:

It is unfair, but if the buyer says he has not received the item then you will have to make a refund, there been cases where even signed for items have been reported as not received with the buyer denying that the signature was theirs.  

Thanks for your help , looking on the R M missing items form , it says the item becomes missing if it hadn't been delivered after 10 days , then why do the buyer leave it until over three weeks before he says he haven't received his parcel ?, why try and scam for £7.50p

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

Thanks for your help , looking on the R M missing items form , it says the item becomes missing if it hadn't been delivered after 10 days , then why do the buyer leave it until over three weeks before he says he haven't received his parcel ?, why try and scam for £7.50p

Because its easy and the way ebay works in favour of the scammer they end up with the item and the money for no effort  

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Yes

I always send signed for + take a pix @ the counter with all labels, then send them a copy via ebay message, just for the record & for ebay info if any issues arrive

PS i do the same on all fora & freeads

Edited by Capt Christopher Jones

Another question if you don't mind ,  on the tracking request it said , Sorry we tried to deliver your parcel on the 08 - 8 - 2019 but there didn't seem to be anyone in , please choose an option below ( and then it say ) Redelivery Options.

Would a card been left stating the Options ? , and how long would the sorting office hold on to it before it get sent back to me ?      Thanks

33 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Another question if you don't mind ,  on the tracking request it said , Sorry we tried to deliver your parcel on the 08 - 8 - 2019 but there didn't seem to be anyone in , please choose an option below ( and then it say ) Redelivery Options.

Would a card been left stating the Options ? , and how long would the sorting office hold on to it before it get sent back to me ?      Thanks

Yes a card should have been left .

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

Ebay has become a scammers paradise! more so by buyers that sellers, I've never had trouble with any thing I've bought but loads when selling mostly people say stuff hasn't arrived

Same here.Fed up with scammers its a regular thing and is the ebay norm.