Defender? Really?

Duckandswing

3 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Crazy , at that sort of money you’re not going to use it for what it’s intended !?, why can’t they produce a working vehicle going back to basics , even if they had a fancy engine with all the electrics to cover the emission problem , there’s the Range Rover , evoque and discovery in all their guises a basic truck would have added a choice 

Bang on there.Landrovers used to be working vehicles.There was a really good market for them too.

If they want to take on the Japanese workhorses they have to produce one.At the right price.

Just look how many defenders are still used and in use by farmers.Says it all really.

My old 30yr old hard working Landie passed it's MOT today.... ok the rear axle oil seal was weeping a bit but has now got a nice new seal, easy peasy job no fancy electronics etc etc and I would have done the job myself 30yrs ago but now have a mechanic deal with things like that.  Treated it to a galvanised chassis a year ago and it will no doubt see me out.  Wonder what those new ones will look like in 30yrs after doing the work and going places mine has.

33 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

My old 30yr old hard working Landie passed it's MOT today.... ok the rear axle oil seal was weeping a bit but has now got a nice new seal, easy peasy job no fancy electronics etc etc and I would have done the job myself 30yrs ago but now have a mechanic deal with things like that.  Treated it to a galvanised chassis a year ago and it will no doubt see me out.  Wonder what those new ones will look like in 30yrs after doing the work and going places mine has.

Walker for a start it won't go the places yours can, it will break down. A simple seal change won't be simple and cost a fortune. Shame they turned into what they have. I can see the renovation of older models being a growing market.

38 minutes ago, London Best said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to the value of older models once the new one is available. With most marques the old model is devalued when a new model is announced. 

Personally, I have owned nothing but Land Rover since 1976.

I have also run initially classic Range Rovers up to and including a CSK and then purhased my present Land Rover 90 ten years ago.  All of them have been work horses. It was a pity that the Classic underbody was not properly protected from rust ...Rovers have always been 'cheap jack' as all the body panels could be removed and replaced relatively easily if damaged.

Same with the proper Land Rovers, like big Meccano sets.  I can see them becoming well worth hanging on to and values going up.

I drove one of the first Discovery's to come out and similarly was not impressed.  BUT, I do believe like all those pre 1995 vehicles from Land Rover they could be personally improved.

My Landie has 'developed' from it's original diesel engine and semi useless gearbox, to a 4litre(3964) V8, LT85 box, Classic Range Rover rear axle(disc brakes) but it is still a Landie and great fun to drive.

As said , my one regret was selling my CSK.

What I can't understand is when companies like mercedes and fiat have moved into the pickup market and Nissan and Toyota invest heavily in the line of pickups - Land Rover have gone and made yet another Chelsea tractor when they already have six on the market. They could have hammered the other makers at there own game and kept the rugged workhorse let's face it the sales of all the other models have been based on for the last 30 years. They should have let the name rest in peace. 

1 hour ago, Papercase said:

What I can't understand is when companies like mercedes and fiat have moved into the pickup market and Nissan and Toyota invest heavily in the line of pickups - Land Rover have gone and made yet another Chelsea tractor when they already have six on the market. They could have hammered the other makers at there own game and kept the rugged workhorse let's face it the sales of all the other models have been based on for the last 30 years. They should have let the name rest in peace. 

^this. I just don’t understand why they made something that , to my eyes, is the same as a discovery sport or evoque. Both of which I like. And the defender died with the td5 in 2007.

5 hours ago, SpringDon said:

^this. I just don’t understand why they made something that , to my eyes, is the same as a discovery sport or evoque. Both of which I like. And the defender died with the td5 in 2007.

I'm inclined to disagree with the post TD5 defender comment - I've driven a few nice TD5's but mostly Puma or Duratorq 2007 to 2014 models and I must say the later models blinded it in terms of interior comfort, road noise, heaters/fans and general road manners. The gearbox was also noteably better. The engine may not have been quite as simple as the TD5 but considering it was in effect a transit engine, had more low down torques than you could shake a stick at and had a sixth gear so it would cruise at 70mph without revving it's nuts off. My old work had some at 150,000 miles that had a rough life towing 3.5 ton trailers and drilling rigs up and down the country occasionally sinking the odd one or two they held up very well. The replacement Hilux models they began to replace the fleet with shortly after were throwing transfer cases and gearboxes left right an centre after three months of use. 

I've heard a few negative comments mainly about price and technology in the new defender,  and not being available as a van/truck. I certainly couldn't afford one but everything is on lease now-tractors, combines, etc, and they are or will be available as vans and trucks, and have you seen the technology in a modern tractor? it makes a lot of cars seem under equipped. My son used to work on self propelled sprayers (bateman) and they have had gps steering, self levelling suspension, and self levelling spray booms for years.