Defender? Really?

Duckandswing

On 11/09/2019 at 07:57, Papercase said:

What I can't understand is when companies like mercedes and fiat have moved into the pickup market and Nissan and Toyota invest heavily in the line of pickups - Land Rover have gone and made yet another Chelsea tractor when they already have six on the market.

/\  This.  Basically, it will compete against the other JLR models - every bit as much as it will against VW, Audi, BMW.  Those who will buy it are mainly those who would have bought one of JLR's other models, so I doubt they will get any extra sales - especially at that price.

I will simply save my £ and spend them on keeping the old Defender I have running ........ and we will grow old(er) together, I hope reasonably gracefully!

3 hours ago, McSpredder said:

"Defender" sounds like something designed with military use in mind.   Have our armed forces expressed much interest in this new model?  

I was just thinking this, does anyone know what the army plan on replacing the 90's and 110's with? 

I'm sure a few years back some swedish thing was hinted at but I can't remember hearing anymore about it. 

Sure some mil vehicle already in use in another country will be bought.  This new defender thing isn't suitable.

Looking online they have already got replacements, transits rangers and the like leased for general.light runabouts. Ocelot for armoured defender replacement and a hell of a lot of panthers that could be altered to suit the role.

Edited by figgy

This.  The ‘soft skinned vehicle’ in hot conflicts is a thing of the past.  Although you can retrospectively armour up almost any vehicle, the weight/performance penalty means you’re better off starting from scratch with a chassis heavy enough to take it.  This rather excludes monocoque designs, such as the new Defender.  For peacetime/run-about use they might as well look to their ‘white fleet’ of leased vehicles.