Just thought I'd ask in case there are any gas fitters on here.

My boiler pilot light has gone out and won't stay lit. 

It's an old boiler and it's had a few thermocouples  I fit one maybe 15 yrs ago the last one was fitted by a gas engineer.

Gas safety has got a lot more strict since I fit one, would it be best to call a gas engineer or would I get badly done if I fit it myself?

Edited by defender

The pilot looks to be heating the thermocouple, its a case of removing the thermostat cover 2 screws, then removing the main large cover 4 screws, then removing the thermocouple next to the pilot, then the tube to the main gas valve and unscrewing the union on the main gas valve then reverse of removal.

As far as I can remember no gas pipes or gas fittings  have to be removed, its an old boiler with a huge square flue.

Thorn Olympic 38/50B

20190910_203833.jpg

Edited by defender

The problem here is not gas related, it is illegal( if not gas safe registeted) to remove the combustion cover to access the pilot burner. 

No doubt you could do the job but thats what the law states.

If the pilot is good and the new thermocouple dosent fix it then you will need a new gas valve, which will need an engineer anyway so use a good local independent engineer is my advice.

Speaking as a gas safe registered person👍

Edited by aga man

Very rarely does the pilot assembly ever get removed and cleaned, the hole inside is unbelievably tiny, it does over time get even smaller with dirt. The only way to know for sure is to have the assembly removed and cleaned. I have done it lots of time's as other engineers just kept replacing the thermocouple lead, it's impossible to say whether is a cold pilot flame or indeed the thermocouple without being there. A recommended gas safe engineer is the way to go. 

And for the record I am gas safe registered domestic, commercial LPG. 

Could be expensive when the boiler is working ok other than the thermocouple. Try it yourself. I  have done it, my boiler was on the floor, part of a back boiler fire, very awkward but managed it. When we did eventually have it replaced the engineer said that he would have condemned it if he had been asked to replace the thermocouple.   

Edited by peck

Think I've got someone, it's been a nightmare so far with leaving voicemails and no one getting back to me and phones that ring and ring.

What I need to know now is what can cause the pilot not to stay lit when I release the grey button to me it can only be thermocouple, gas valve or weak pilot light flame just in case they try to bamboozle me.

Oh and how much is it to become gas safe?

Edited by defender

1 hour ago, B725 said:

Hold the button in for at least 30 seconds and release very slowly, thermocouple is the cheapest repair it may be a cold pilot or the dearest is a new gas valve. 

Thanks for that,

I held it for so long my thumb had a gas flame imprint and let it go very slowly and it still went out.

Fortunately I've found someone I know who is on the gas safe website and they are coming tomorrow and I cancelled the one mentioned above.

Yea I've done it before and it worked perfectly and just in case I put a co monitor in the boiler room and it was fine, but I'm not going to do it again.

I think genuine ones are still available at 3 times the price of a universal one.

He did say to me that the boiler is probably 40% efficient whereas modern boilers are up to 98% efficient.

I have fitted countless universal thermo leads in my day and NEVER had a problem with any of them (which included the gas fire variety too). Yes, a new boiler is probably more efficient but the boiler that I removed from my home, about 4 years ago, was some 40 years old. I serviced it annually (properly) and apart from several thermo leads and a new gas valve top it was still going strong when I ripped it out. I have not noticed a substantial decrease in my gas bill, using the new all singing and dancing combi boiler  ! 

On 11/09/2019 at 10:56, peck said:

Could be expensive when the boiler is working ok other than the thermocouple. Try it yourself. I  have done it, my boiler was on the floor, part of a back boiler fire, very awkward but managed it. When we did eventually have it replaced the engineer said that he would have condemned it if he had been asked to replace the thermocouple.   

I skipped a brand new complete burner tray for a fire/boiler (Baxi) last year. They burned out if the boiler was not serviced correctly annually.

Just now, Westley said:

I have fitted countless universal thermo leads in my day and NEVER had a problem with any of them (which included the gas fire variety too). Yes, a new boiler is probably more efficient but the boiler that I removed from my home, about 4 years ago, was some 40 years old. I serviced it annually (properly) and apart from several thermo leads and a new gas valve top it was still going strong when I ripped it out. I have not noticed a substantial decrease in my gas bill, using the new all singing and dancing combi boiler  ! 

Yea I've read about new boilers not even managing to get to 10 yrs without requiring replacement whereas that one is over 30 yrs old and the whole system has needed 1 electric valve, 1 pump and a few thermocouples in it's life.

Annoyingly if I'd done it myself it would have only been out of action for less than 2 days :unhappy:

On 14/09/2019 at 19:43, defender said:

Yea I've read about new boilers not even managing to get to 10 yrs without requiring replacement whereas that one is over 30 yrs old and the whole system has needed 1 electric valve, 1 pump and a few thermocouples in it's life.

Annoyingly if I'd done it myself it would have only been out of action for less than 2 days :unhappy:

Fixed, it was the gas valve after all, if it wasn't illegal to do so I could have done it but it was done professionally by a gas safe engineer.