Sea Eagles reintroduced to Isle of Wight

figgy

Saw on the One Show the release of six Sea Eagles into the Isle of Wight. 

How long before shooters or keepers are blamed for some going awol. 

Best keep an eye on your cats and small dogs, lambs and other small animals. 

Some reintroductions are a good thing, this time I'm not convinced.

13 minutes ago, figgy said:

Saw on the One Show the release of six Sea Eagles into the Isle of Wight. 

How long before shooters or keepers are blamed for some going awol. 

Best keep an eye on your cats and small dogs, lambs and other small animals

Some reintroductions are a good thing, this time I'm not convinced.

and clergymen

The reintroduction up on the semi wild north western coast of Scotland I can understand, but nowhere is wild enough these days with sheep farmers almost everywhere.  BUT to reintroduce into a highly populated area like the Isle of Wight to me seems totally irresponsible, crazy.  Will be interesting to see how they fair.  One goes missing and you know full well who will get the blame.  

8 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Here’s one that had a few days out 

crazy idea and waste of money 

they all have trackers on allegedly updating every few minutes so they should know if there in the area of livestock 

B2BE2325-91A8-46CA-B2C5-C8E41F157F1C.png

How did it know to go back.. Have they been caged there to make them call it home? Or just pure luck it's flown back?? 

9 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

How did it know to go back.. Have they been caged there to make them call it home? Or just pure luck it's flown back?? 

No idea 

they've got feeding stations for them

as yet I’ve not been able to find a way of tracking the individual birds in a daily basis 

dosent seem to be publicly available 🙄 

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

at the height of the GL scandal field sports Britain did a show on a farm on the IOW ,they had lost around 200 lambs to corvid attacks at that point they had no idea that sea eagles were being introduced on land right next door to them ,poor **** were shell shocked ,talk about being kicked in the nads

Awful lot of ravens on the island not a good combination with the lambs 

It's ok while the feeding stations are feeding them. Soon as that stops the killings will start.

They think the sea eagles will eat all the grey mullet that the seas are full of. Why chance drowning for a fish when s nice fluffy lamb or other small mammal can be had on land. People's pets will end up taken, then the fun and games will start. But 80% of the islanders wanted the sea eagles and it's great for tourism. Can't see that many kids wanting to go see some birds.

Edited by figgy

Just now, figgy said:

It's ok while the feeding stations are feeding them. Soon as that stops the killings will start.

They think the sea eagles will eat all the grey mullet that the seas are full of. Why chance drowning for a fish when s nice fluffy lamb or other small mammal can be had on land.

Precisely, and who exactly has taught them to dive into the sea for fish? Their food so far has come gift wrapped on a wooden tray.

It will not be long before one drowns at sea and the usual suspects will cry foul.

8 hours ago, figgy said:

They think the sea eagles will eat all the grey mullet that the seas are full of. Why chance drowning for a fish when s nice fluffy lamb or other small mammal can be had on land. People's pets will end up taken, then the fun and games will start. But 80% of the islanders wanted the sea eagles and it's great for tourism. Can't see that many kids wanting to go see some birds.

But grey mullet are summer visitors, what will they eat in winter before the lambs arrive... wild guess,   pheasant's, so the game shooter will keep packams eagles going, sure he will be appreciative

Along with people's pets if they get chance, being fed and reared I can't see them being scared of people either.

The idea is these six will breed and the offspring will them populate southern England and keep on spreading. 

Looks like they want them as prolific as buzzards.  Rarely saw a buzzard as a child, sat on the marsh three of them came down to around eight or ten foot and flew all over next doors clubs marsh and water. One is bad enough but three together. If six sea eagles start hitting the same patch they will decimate in no time.

Edited by figgy

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

Along with people's pets if they get chance, being fed and reared I can't see them being scared of people either.

I know someone who was filling feeders and saw one sitting well above the pens, so he loosed off his 5 shot semi into the air and it just continued to sit there!