Arise, Sir Geoff?

lord_seagrave

I heard Geoffrey Boycott on the radio this morning. To be honest, I was surprised  by the way in which the interviewer brought up his conviction for assault - it was a real non-sequitur after a bit of kindly reminiscing about his cricketing/commentating career and some gentle teasing about his knighthood. Uncomfortable listening.

As has been widely reported, he clearly wasn’t expecting the turn of direction, and made a couple of badly-received remarks.

I can’t make up my mind how I feel. He’s nearly 80, and I could imagine many opinionated individuals of his generation making the same sorts of remarks. It felt slightly cheap to spring that on him, but I strongly suspect millions of listeners saw his true colours (so to speak) as a result.

Is he deservedly legendary? Has he become a caricature of himself? Should a conviction for violence (or anything else, for that matter) disbar someone from being knighted? Does it make a difference that his conviction is for an assault on a woman/act of domestic violence?

LS

He deserves a Knighthood more than mny others I could mention who just twanged a few guitar strings.  To be honest the whole crazy system has outgrown what a Knighthood really meant.  The whole deal has become cheapened.

The King would Knight one of his loyal subjects who had put their lives on the line in combat.  Getting one for just doing your job really doesn't cut it in my view.

Knighthoods seem to be given out to has beens who have done nothing but line their own pockets. 

Why give boycott one at 80 years old ? If your giving it for his cricket give it when he retires not when one foots in the bloody grave. Same for a lot of celebrity who get them.

Then there is the political cronies who get them. It just demeans the title in my view. Some points out he's a Sir ohh ok what he do who is he, celebrity or sports person who was on TV for decades or done ok in their chosen sport. Great that's what your large pay is for and medals and sponsorship deals.  Should be given to the true hero's of this country, who saved lives or stopped a disaster from happening.

Never enjoyed his frustratingly boring batting for England but fair play, he was effective, also disliked his usual dour demeanour, but there are probably worse people holding knighthoods than him! Crooks, embezzlers, fraudsters, thieves, paedophiles etc.......attacking Boycott for something that happened many, many years before, something that he has alway denied.....smacks of a snowflake witchhunt to me!....it also misses the point that some people, both men and women sometimes deserve a smack! :whistling:

Boycott has lived for cricket more than any other man alive. Whether that should have earned him an honour I couldn’t say. Perhaps Jonathan Agnew who is usually paired up with him should be recognised in some way for his patience and amiable demeanour when they are broadcasting together.

As a fellow Yorkshireman I can vouch for the fact that there are many other Boycotts living in the county with equally strong views on a wide variety of topics. 

On 11/09/2019 at 08:49, panoma1 said:

Never enjoyed his frustratingly boring batting for England but fair play, he was effective, also disliked his usual dour demeanour, but there are probably worse people holding knighthoods than him! Crooks, embezzlers, fraudsters, thieves, paedophiles etc.......attacking Boycott for something that happened many, many years before, something that he has alway denied.....smacks of a snowflake witchhunt to me!....it also misses the point that some people, both men and women sometimes deserve a smack! 

I’m no snowflake, but the domestic assault he was found guilty of was punching his girlfriend 20 times in a hotel room, then claiming she came about her injuries by falling in the room. The photos of her injuries are only a quick google away, they don’t make for comfortable viewing.