Standard shop bought guns for women

Croohur

Afternoon all,

My wife has gotten into clays and has been borrowing my gun, a semi auto she doesnt really like. I'm just wondering what experiences people have had with wives, partners, girlfriends, friends misc., etc. 

What shop bought gun, maybe with a slightly higher comb and shorter LOP that you can currently buy is out there that the "average" woman can use. I know, its all down to fit, but are there lighter 12 bores out there that you know that seems to work better for women than others. 

Excluding the Fausti Aphrodite, Browning Whatchamcallit etc. 

My wife uses my 20b miroku. It was the gun I learned to shoot with when I was younger and has a shorter lop than I now need so when I have taken it out I just use a slip on extender. 

It suits her very well, if just slightly low in the comb, but a £15 neoprene comb raiser sorted that. 

If and when she gets into shooting properly (she is also having lessons independently from me using an ordinary silver pigeon 20b) and wants her own gun we will look into it, but at the moment the set up works. 

Any gun that your other half likes that fits well or can be altered to suit is the best bet, it doesn't have to be a dedicated ladies gun as these tend to be more expensive than ordinary models. 

21 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

My mrs uses a kofs 12 they are pretty light so she doesn’t struggle with the weight and recoil isn’t an issue for her.

Yes, I have heard that about the Kofs, lighter and shorter LOP than say an ATA. Gun Shop did a comparison YouTube video on them 

33 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

There was a good thread on this a few months ago .. a search for Syren will show a few threads with lots of information in ...

Thanks, will have a look for that

9 minutes ago, Croohur said:

Yes, I have heard that about the Kofs, lighter and shorter LOP than say an ATA. Gun Shop did a comparison YouTube video on them 

Thanks, will have a look for that

My mother also shoots a kofs 20 junior which has a slightly shorter stock. Might be worth seeing if you can get your hands on both.

Most women I know shoot normal weight 12g O/Us. One or 2 use 12g semis but I can't think of any who use a 20. Everyone thinks a 12g is heavy the first time they use it but it takes no time to get used to the weight. 

As far as gun fit goes, women usually benefit from a higher comb and most need a shorter stock. CG noticed the different fit requirements and with their Syren brand they started the trend for making guns specifically to fit women. Since then Beretta, Blaser, Zoli and possibly others have introduced women's models.

16 minutes ago, Westward said:

Most women I know shoot normal weight 12g O/Us. One or 2 use 12g semis but I can't think of any who use a 20. Everyone thinks a 12g is heavy the first time they use it but it takes no time to get used to the weight. 

As far as gun fit goes, women usually benefit from a higher comb and most need a shorter stock. CG noticed the different fit requirements and with their Syren brand they started the trend for making guns specifically to fit women. Since then Beretta, Blaser, Zoli and possibly others have introduced women's models.

This definitely seems to be a common complaint! I had a Lanber game gun before the semi auto, about 7lb 2ou that fit her reasonably well, but there was terrible wailing about the weight of it.

I put some light weights beside the sofa in the tv room as a subtle hint....

10 minutes ago, figgy said:

If she is petite any shorter stocked gun she likes the handling of, all can be fitted to her. Or made into adjustable comb to fit.

A Beretta silver pigeon or 690 with 28 or 30" barrels would be what I'd look at first, then Ceasar Guerini Syren.

She has used a Silver Pig at a few of the lessons she had in 20 bore and loved it

Edited by Croohur

Mrs Wingman has been shooting for a few years originally using a Miroku MK70. She found it quite heavy so I found a Beretta 686 Special that we bought as a stopgap until she found something she really liked. 2 years later she’s still shooting the 686 and doesn’t want to part with it. Was a minter but you can pick them up reasonably so might be worth a look. It’s a 12 bore by the way. 

Daughter started with light weight twenty bore that just did not work. She now shoots competently with a 12g silver pigeon with left hand stock. She is slight build and does not make nine stone wet through. She generally shoots 21-24 gm on clays and 28 gm on game. A light weight gun will kick so my recommendation is go for a gun around 7-71/4 lbs as a compromise.

Polling of the 500+ women in a group I am in shows the 12G/20G split is roughly 65/35 with a small minority having both. Clay shooters end up with 12Gs, game shooters who never shoot competition clays are happy with their 20Gs. Size of woman has nothing to do with it. Knowledge and experience has everything. I have known a fair few women shoot 20G for years and then change to 12G, and that's because their learning curve was slower as they didn't shoot that much. The only people I remember going from 12 to 20 cited shoulder problems. 

Kofs gun was spoken of very highly for the price but the two ladies who talked about them have upgraded within a year.  "Ladies" guns feels like a bit of a scam to me, but actually it's probably cheaper for most people to pay the extra at purchase than to develop the knowledge to get an ordinary gun altered. Having said that a second hand CG Syren is quite reasonable in price these days. Those were designed with Tania Faulds and she's teeny.  The Browning Liberty Light is getting rave reviews from lady guns I know. I only know one with a Vittoria.

Beretta 682 gold e is a model that was recommended to me for being light barrels. I liked it but a friend sold me something else as a favour so didn't buy one. Browning 525, the later ones, are also much loved. 

The Beretta Ultralight does not seem to stay long in a women's cabinet. Nice idea, horrible kick. Better a normal 12G with neutral pitch on a shorter stock and a good recoil pad. 

My daughter, and granddaughter are keen game shooters, and have joined a Ladies syndicate locally.  I have picked up for them on occasion, and as a Team they shoot  better than some Mens' syndicates I know.  They have all been through the " getting a gun that fits" process, and the concensus seems to be that the Beretta 690 111 field  20 bore  is the one they prefer.  It has a slight Monte carlo stock, which  seems to suit them. 

5 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Polling of the 500+ women in a group I am in shows the 12G/20G split is roughly 65/35 with a small minority having both. Clay shooters end up with 12Gs, game shooters who never shoot competition clays are happy with their 20Gs. Size of woman has nothing to do with it. Knowledge and experience has everything. I have known a fair few women shoot 20G for years and then change to 12G, and that's because their learning curve was slower as they didn't shoot that much. The only people I remember going from 12 to 20 cited shoulder problems. 

Kofs gun was spoken of very highly for the price but the two ladies who talked about them have upgraded within a year.  "Ladies" guns feels like a bit of a scam to me, but actually it's probably cheaper for most people to pay the extra at purchase than to develop the knowledge to get an ordinary gun altered. Having said that a second hand CG Syren is quite reasonable in price these days. Those were designed with Tania Faulds and she's teeny.  The Browning Liberty Light is getting rave reviews from lady guns I know. I only know one with a Vittoria.

Beretta 682 gold e is a model that was recommended to me for being light barrels. I liked it but a friend sold me something else as a favour so didn't buy one. Browning 525, the later ones, are also much loved. 

The Beretta Ultralight does not seem to stay long in a women's cabinet. Nice idea, horrible kick. Better a normal 12G with neutral pitch on a shorter stock and a good recoil pad. 

hello, good post ehb, i only wish more ladies would find an interest in shooting if only clay pigeon,

12 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Thank you, great post. 

I  can’t add too much to this as Mrs Udderly is currently shooting with a basic 12G £400 Bettinsolli with a £15 neoprene comb raiser with fetching pink duct tape securing it.  She is 1.78m (5’ 10”) tall.

She did try the CG Syren and the Beretta Vittoria at the Ian Coley open day in the Spring, she shot well with both of them, with the favourite being the CG.  This despite the ‘flowery’ engraving not being to her taste.  Apparently CG are going to be producing a less fancy but mechanically identical gun to the Syren but sold under the Fabarm brand for considerably less than the CG.  The Browning Liberty light was also shouldered but not tried.

That said, she doesn’t want to have that much money tied up in a gun so is more than happy to continue to find her feet with the Bettinsoli. 

She also has no interest in game/vermin shooting (but is happy to peel+cook whatever I shoot, spicy bunny pie tonight)

3 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I  can’t add too much to this as Mrs Udderly is currently shooting with a basic 12G £400 Bettinsolli with a £15 neoprene comb raiser with fetching pink duct tape securing it.  She is 1.78m (5’ 10”) tall.

She did try the CG Syren and the Beretta Vittoria at the Ian Coley open day in the Spring, she shot well with both of them, with the favourite being the CG.  This despite the ‘flowery’ engraving not being to her taste.  Apparently CG are going to be producing a less fancy but mechanically identical gun to the Syren but sold under the Fabarm brand for considerably less than the CG.  The Browning Liberty light was also shouldered but not tried.

That said, she doesn’t want to have that much money tied up in a gun so is more than happy to continue to find her feet with the Bettinsoli. 

She also has no interest in game/vermin shooting (but is happy to peel+cook whatever I shoot, spicy bunny pie tonight)

Interesting! 

On 12/09/2019 at 10:07, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, good post ehb, i only wish more ladies would find an interest in shooting if only clay pigeon,

Thanks, @oldypigeonpopper. We're working on it. Five years ago it was hard to field a team of ladies, now it's common. 

Today I was on a squad with women using a CG Syren Light (traded in from the CG Syren), a Browning Liberty and a Beretta Vittoria. Those last two were incredibly similar, just with a slightly different pitch. I do appreciate the details, how it isn't just a short Monte Carlo stock, the grip is different too. 

I also got to have a look at a Kofs. It was pleasant enough, the wood felt raw. It wasn't ugly. Bit like having a Kia for your car. If it's your first or you don't care about details and finish it's fine. 

1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

Thanks, @oldypigeonpopper. We're working on it. Five years ago it was hard to field a team of ladies, now it's common. 

Today I was on a squad with women using a CG Syren Light (traded in from the CG Syren), a Browning Liberty and a Beretta Vittoria. Those last two were incredibly similar, just with a slightly different pitch. I do appreciate the details, how it isn't just a short Monte Carlo stock, the grip is different too. 

I also got to have a look at a Kofs. It was pleasant enough, the wood felt raw. It wasn't ugly. Bit like having a Kia for your car. If it's your first or you don't care about details and finish it's fine. 

hello, i had a look at the Kof range, seems well made for the money, ideal first gun for clay shooting, good luck with the ladies clay shooting