Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
motty

Another late report

Recommended Posts

On Friday I went looking for pigeons. I had an idea where I might find some. After bags of 86 and 68 on wheat stubbles the previous weekend, I was keen to get another decent bag.

The first field I looked at was a recently cut bean field. I spotted a good flock of pigeons lift as I approached. Plenty decided they didn't want to leave, so I left them to it. I looked at a few other fields, but none looked like they promised a reasonable bag. I got on the phone to Chris Green to see if he wanted to film the following day's shoot. Unfortunately, he was again on game fair duty.

Jules and Gerard joined me on Saturday morning, and we were underway before 10am. We initially started with two hides, twenty yards apart. Jules was on his own, on my and Gerard's left. It was pretty slow to begin with, with most birds preferring my side of the pattern. After a bit, Jules joined us in our hide.  We took the shooting in turns, although the order sometimes got mixed up!

Into the afternoon, the action heated up somewhat. Some decent bunches were decoying and we managed to kill four or five from groups several times. This required good communication and not a little trust.

There were more young birds on the wing than I had seen so far this year. This is exactly what I would expect to see in the first week of September. I would much prefer to shoot the adult birds, but I will shoot what comes to the decoys. 

After initially being glad that Mr Green couldn't make it, due to the slow action, I was slightly disappointed he wasn't there, as it had turned into a good day. Maybe one day soon.

We shot until around 5pm. The final bag was 175 pigeons, 2 crows and a feral.

 

FB_IMG_1567939733278.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started to wonder if your pigeon shooting had come to a standstill as it have been very quiet from the N / Norfolk's boys of late.

Good report , I reckon three shooting at the same time in the hide is not for the faint hearted , as you say , good communication and not a little trust , unless you really know what you are doing for those reading Mottys report , it's not to be recommended .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant report of a brilliant day, three in a hide is mind boggling but the result is terrific and would have been a mega video. 

I was starting the think they had banned shooting pigeons as during my stay in Greece virtually nil reports, but I knew I could rely on the North Norfolk crew to find some bean stubble, well done lads thanks for reporting.

 

Who Shot the feral????

Edited by pigeon controller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Brilliant report of a brilliant day, three in a hide is mind boggling but the result is terrific and would have been a mega video. 

I was starting the think they had banned shooting pigeons as during my stay in Greece virtually nil reports, but I knew I could rely on the North Norfolk crew to find some bean stubble, well done lads thanks for reporting.

 

Who Shot the feral????

It has been a little lean on reports within these pages.

It must have been Jules that shot the feral. He can't help himself!

I reckon it would have made a pretty good bit of film. Hopefully I have one or two more fields up my sleeve to be shot/filmed, yet.

 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Started to wonder if your pigeon shooting had come to a standstill as it have been very quiet from the N / Norfolk's boys of late.

Good report , I reckon three shooting at the same time in the hide is not for the faint hearted , as you say , good communication and not a little trust , unless you really know what you are doing for those reading Mottys report , it's not to be recommended .

I look forward to this time of year. It is often when I shoot some of my best bags. I still have a few fields of beans to be cut, so my pigeon shooting will keep on for a few weeks, yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re two in a hide and trust.

Ive fished n shot with a friend for over forty years. Not often doubling up in hide.

He always sits to shoot whereas I stand. When taking turns he will sometimes shoot out of turn.

If two birds decoying I try to shoot furthest away with chance to ping closest.

Last time out two in hide ( 4 weeks ago ) I stood to shoot and he shot at my first bird in resulting in none shot.

Said nothing and he proceeded to shoot at 11 birds in a row.

During this I had my tea. Ok my turn two birds coming from the left to me, he sits on a stool 4 ins lower than me and swung gun onto birds and at my head level resulting me ducking swiftly.

Im already deaf in right ear but I felt the heat and heard the noise from shot in that ear.

right dangerous dan pack up and in car were going home.

similar has happened before but he took no heed of verbal warning.

hes very unsafe the way he carries the sxs loaded n closed but as he says its ok the safetys on.

Needless to say we are not friends anymore.

Ive cut my nose off to spite my face but at least ive still got my nose.

Hes the loser as he doesent drive so I shall carry on regardless.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tignme said:

Re two in a hide and trust.

Ive fished n shot with a friend for over forty years. Not often doubling up in hide.

He always sits to shoot whereas I stand. When taking turns he will sometimes shoot out of turn.

If two birds decoying I try to shoot furthest away with chance to ping closest.

Last time out two in hide ( 4 weeks ago ) I stood to shoot and he shot at my first bird in resulting in none shot.

Said nothing and he proceeded to shoot at 11 birds in a row.

During this I had my tea. Ok my turn two birds coming from the left to me, he sits on a stool 4 ins lower than me and swung gun onto birds and at my head level resulting me ducking swiftly.

Im already deaf in right ear but I felt the heat and heard the noise from shot in that ear.

right dangerous dan pack up and in car were going home.

similar has happened before but he took no heed of verbal warning.

hes very unsafe the way he carries the sxs loaded n closed but as he says its ok the safetys on.

Needless to say we are not friends anymore.

Ive cut my nose off to spite my face but at least ive still got my nose.

Hes the loser as he doesent drive so I shall carry on regardless.

 

 

I've been there and done that, but I have also been in close proximity to a few chaps from the forum and they have acted impeccably!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you shoot with the same person / people week in and week out there is only one sure and safe way to shoot in a hide with more than one person and that is only one person shooting at any one time , the fairest way is for one person to have a agreed amount of shots and then the other person do exactly the same .

Last Saturday was one of those rare events when I had somebody else in my hide and I let him do the shooting until he missed a couple and then he said you have a shot , two or three times I could had shot at a fleeting pigeon after the person who was in my hide had fired at the same or a different pigeon , but that could soon lead to being a bit trigger happy and I firmly believe , it is better to be safe than sorry .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a good run Motty! Three in a hide sounds busy, good job there was plenty to go round. I’ve been having an unusually good run of late too, odd as some people in areas that usually get them all say they’re struggling for numbers?! 

Edited by Wilts#Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...