Shooting in Scotland

My trouble and strife has a mind to move north of Hadrians Wall - even looking at houses on the islands. Whilst I've worked and holidayed there I've never considered living there. Thinking about it I am warming to the idea. I like fishing, particularly sea angling but how easy is it to take my guns and find shooting and beating? I've shot driven, walked up and a bit of wildfowling and just enjoy being out with my cocker. Any thoughts guys?

Come and join me in Dumfries and Galloway. Moved up three years ago after wildfowling here for forty years. Within a month I was picking up on one of the countries premier estates. There is shooting galore and wildfowling on your doorstep. You have a variety of salmon rivers although all struggling these days. Add to a sporting Mecca, virtually no traffic, a county population of around 120,000 a generally friendly and welcoming country community and cheap housing in stunning countryside.

i am a half hour from the M6 and can commute into London by train for a days work.

Have we any regrets? Absolutely none and cannot imagine ourselves living anywhere else.

hope that’s enough.

Edited by Dave at kelton
Typo

I have greylag and rabbits mostly and plenty of it. not much game in the west tbh. My brother lived in Aberdeenshire  [Johnshaven] and that seemed to have good mixed arable land and all that would offer.  The sea fishing here [outer hebrides] is excellent with lots of large pollack etc. and quite a lot un-discovered as yet.  Sako and guzzicat are over east, they might offer advise, take a look at sako's posts for a taster..:good:

Edited by islandgun

I think most would offer an opinion closer to your first & second reply than the third...

Location will effect how easy it is, but even just outside Edinburgh the only thing that holds me back is my own time available. 

Edited by hod

We travel to Westlands clay shoot which is around the Gretna area, which is only an hour away for us. On the clubhouse/cafe notice board there are ‘wanted’ notices for syndicate members and guns wanted for fox drives; great opportunities for a ‘toe in’. I doubt you’ll struggle anywhere in Scotland; isn’t shooting and fishing it’s biggest tourist attraction outside the holiday season? 

Go while you are fit and active and enjoy! I've moved up from near nottingham and live now right up near the top round  Brora.

Just be aware about the second home tax in scotland , you pay a percentage on your new scottish purchase , then when your English home sells and you exchange contracts and you can apply for your tax back .

Factor it in I paid over 9k , but I've now had it back , the tax lasts for 18 months if you havnt sold your English home you lose it .

I moved  to near Stranraer about 15 years ago , been coming to the area quite a while was doing a lot of sea fishing , had my own boat . Then got into clayshooting  . Most of the land around here is owned by large estates  they control the pheasant shoot . There would still be a few independent  farmers , but far more tennat farms . 

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

I moved  to near Stranraer about 15 years ago , been coming to the area quite a while was doing a lot of sea fishing , had my own boat . Then got into clayshooting  . Most of the land around here is owned by large estates  they control the pheasant shoot . There would still be a few independent  farmers , but far more tennat farms . 

Do you get any walked up shooting? 

Also up there you can use 222 or 223 on Roe. I believe they call the 222 the hand of god. 

I used to have just a 22 lr  . To help around the farm i have my cottage on , but the farm is part of a big estate , and the keepers  did not like it , but the estate gave me permission to shoot on the farm for crows and stuff that were hitting the young lambs . I gave it up and went more into clayshooting . 

Nearly 30 years here but moving south soon. Nicola and friends will remove shooting and guns with 1000's of cuts, salmon fisheries are just about dead, and you may not have the best of support from some of the locals due to perceptions of the English as seen through the distorted lenses of nationalism and brexit ballcocks. Other than that the scenery is lovely 😁

10 hours ago, Muddy Funker said:

Sold an end of terrace 2 bed in Horsham West Sussex 2 years ago and bought a 3 bed detached house with outbuildings and 18 acres for 5k more in Aberdeenshire. 

We rented for the first year. So been here 3 years now. 

No regrets, I love it here. The people, the landscape, the country. 

Can you get the same quality of work / income though 🤷‍♂️

Sounds a nice change. 

40 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Sounds a nice change. 

Around the Stranraer area i dont think the wages  are so good there ferry work . Quite a lot of agricultural  work . And shop work . I am retired so not sure what a living wage would be , i know  we struggle to get dentists  and doctors to stay our hospital is ran on our GP doing there shifts there . So seem to think its so quite and i suppose the younger generation  dont want to come here for that . They must miss the life of the big towns and cities. 

Edited by johnphilip

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Sounds a nice change. 

I'm fortunate in that I can move around quite easily in my job (cop) with no change in pay. My other half is a chiropractor so easy for her too. 

It was definitely the right move. Such a nice pace up here. No one seems stressed out and aggressive. 

I can only put that down to less people, traffic, hustle and bustle. 

They've even welcomed me, a Southern England **** 🤣