410 mossberg pump

Are you spin finishing them after loading.  I load all my hells and 410s in particular tend to expand a bit at the crimp  and I spin all of them with a GAEP spinner which puts a neat finish and when fired SEEMS to solve the sticking problem.... not sure if this explains it, but certainly spin finishing is worthwhile anyway.  I shoot a Mossy as well and have not had any problems with Fiocchi or Hull cases.  Give the chamber a good scrub out as well.   It could be just a bit of crud stuck up there

• 11 months later...

Only just seen this but i have the same problem with cheddite cases and fibre wads

the fibre wads i have are just a little over sized and when seated on top of the powder and filled with shot and roll crimped expand just enough to have issues with the ejection when fired a right pain in the **** that's why I've gone back to using plastic wads now 

i posted about this problem a few weeks ago,ive got about 300 eley loaded shells that wont fit in mossy,will have to breaak em up,but i found even when not reloaded eley cases wont go back in the chamber,but fiocchi cases fired and not even resized will still fit the chamber,reloded ones ok too,remedy is only use hull or fiocchi cases all others need to go in bin.

While not a pump I do have the same problem with Eley .410 cartridges in my Belgian folder, some are a struggle to get in and the vast majority are a pain to get out, to the point where sometimes I have to use the brass from another cartridge to hook on and pull it free. 

The 2.5" trap with the crimped end seem to be worst of all, in places the shot is visibly pressing against the case. Which is a pain as they are one of the best 2.5" loads around I think.

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

While not a pump I do have the same problem with Eley .410 cartridges in my Belgian folder, some are a struggle to get in and the vast majority are a pain to get out, to the point where sometimes I have to use the brass from another cartridge to hook on and pull it free. 

The 2.5" trap with the crimped end seem to be worst of all, in places the shot is visibly pressing against the case. Which is a pain as they are one of the best 2.5" loads around I think.

My old Belgian folders used to do that when I was a kid. Eley were fine in the Webley bolt action. I now have two English double .410’s and, as you rightly say, Eley Trap 2 1/2 inch are one of the best loads available. And the good news is, extraction is easy I both guns.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

My old Belgian folders used to do that when I was a kid. Eley were fine in the Webley bolt action. I now have two English double .410’s and, as you rightly say, Eley Trap 2 1/2 inch are one of the best loads available. And the good news is, extraction is easy I both guns.

The chamber on mine could probably do with a good scrub to be honest so at some point I'll treat myself to a nice brush for it as I've only got a bore snake at the moment. 

I've still had some good clean kills with fourlong's but the denser pattern the trap load throws for me is far more suited to the .410.

I'd quite like a double for myself, would be of the O/U configuration though. My local RFD has a nearly new silver pigeon in .410 in, I wouldn't normally go for a new Beretta but that would have me tempted.

40 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I can imagine the 9's being a pretty good decoy load. I don't know if it's just round where I am but .410 cartridges selection isn't great, I don't shoot that many .410 cartridges so wouldn't mind paying a little more for some loaded with actual 7's.

I find the secret with only 14 gram loads is to never use anything bigger than 7’s, and the pattern still fails before the energy. You are right about the 9’s. I shot 78 crows one morning with them. 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I find the secret with only 14 gram loads is to never use anything bigger than 7’s, and the pattern still fails before the energy. You are right about the 9’s. I shot 78 crows one morning with them. 

You can't argue with those results, while my little folder has certainly proved its worth and I probably wouldn't be without it now I should probably have a proper .410 at some point.

Then I would have an excuse to have a reloading set up....

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2020 at 18:14, Farmboy91 said:

You can't argue with those results, while my little folder has certainly proved its worth and I probably wouldn't be without it now I should probably have a proper .410 at some point.

Then I would have an excuse to have a reloading set up....

Get a the reloading kit you won't regret it

You can then design a load suitable for your particular gun i load for my Mossberg and since changing back to plastic wads i dont have any problems now 

1 hour ago, hafod said:

Get a the reloading kit you won't regret it

You can then design a load suitable for your particular gun i load for my Mossberg and since changing back to plastic wads i dont have any problems now 

I've been looking at 16 bores too recently so in my mind that's another good reason to pick up a loadall. 

Can you buy the fibre wad that Eley uses for the .410?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2020 at 12:11, Farmboy91 said:

I've been looking at 16 bores too recently so in my mind that's another good reason to pick up a loadall. 

Can you buy the fibre wad that Eley uses for the .410?

Personally I'd forget the load all( too much plastic ) get yourself a nice mec mk 5 jnr for simplicity

its more substantial than the loadall plus you can then buy the die sets for different bores

with the loadall your stuck with 12 or 20 bore unless they do other conversion kits for them now

personally I found too much vibration and movement on the loadall for consistent powder charges and the crimps were never fantastic on the one I had 

That's just my personal insight mind you i.m talking about 30 years ago when i bought mine so they could be better quality now

I got a 12 bore loadall and 20 bore conversion kit for sale if your interested in one don't want a lot for it haven't used it for years I'm a mec man myself  

I love the lee reloading gear just not the loadall sorry guys lol 

Edited by hafod

16 minutes ago, hafod said:

Personally I'd forget the load all( too much plastic ) get yourself a nice mec mk 5 jnr for simplicity

its more substantial than the loadall plus you can then buy the die sets for different bores

with the loadall your stuck with 12 or 20 bore unless they do other conversion kits for them now

personally I found too much vibration and movement on the loadall for consistent powder charges and the crimps were never fantastic on the one I had 

That's just my personal insight mind you i.m talking about 30 years ago when i bought mine so they could be better quality now

I got a 12 bore loadall and 20 bore conversion kit for sale if your interested in one don't want a lot for it haven't used it for years I'm a mec man myself  

I love the lee reloading gear just not the loadall sorry guys lol 

Thanks for the info, I'd looked at the Lee as the seemed pretty reasonably priced new but have to be honest I wasn't actually looking at reloading 16b when I was looking at them. 

Thank you for the offer, I'll have to have a look and see if they do 16 and .410 conversions. I'll have to check the mec out properly too.

6 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thanks for the info, I'd looked at the Lee as the seemed pretty reasonably priced new but have to be honest I wasn't actually looking at reloading 16b when I was looking at them. 

Thank you for the offer, I'll have to have a look and see if they do 16 and .410 conversions. I'll have to check the mec out properly too.

Your better off with the mec to be honest like i said 

Keep your eye on eBay USA some reasonable ones on there second hand

same for used mec die sets and chargebars if you do your homework