Jumped up game keeper

craig1982

Very well said mm. Some people know what goes into shooting  

Since the first weekend of July I’ve gone up every day to feed, water, check traps, snares, strim / spray vegetation and grass and do a load of other bits and bobs (I have been on holiday and the guys helped out.)   

Since Feb 2nd planning, ordering, collecting money,  every work day + some, etc. 

This week I start on every second day, mainly to feed ducks, probably until the end of December if not Jan come rain, hail or snow. The syndicate members now take responsibility for feeding certain areas. 

I’m lucky, the shoot is a 17 mile round trip, never take a £€$ for petrol and also pay the same as other syndicate members (actual i’m throwing money away as my teenage son shoots and I just beat for free).  

We’ll shoot 10 days this season, I won’t sleep the night before worrying.  

I also work full time and have a wife and 2 children.  

I wouldn’t want it any other way!!!!!

If all that makes me a feeder (in some peoples eye’s)  then so be it. 

Edited by markm

58 minutes ago, markm said:

Very well said mm. Some people know what goes into shooting  

Since the first weekend of July I’ve gone up every day to feed, water, check traps, snares, strim / spray vegetation and grass and do a load of other bits and bobs (I have been on holiday and the guys helped out.)   

Since Feb 2nd planning, ordering, collecting money,  every work day + some, etc. 

This week I start on every second day, mainly to feed ducks, probably until the end of December if not Jan come rain, hail or snow. The syndicate members now take responsibility for feeding certain areas. 

I’m lucky, the shoot is a 17 mile round trip, never take a £€$ for petrol and also pay the same as other syndicate members (actual i’m throwing money away as my teenage son shoots and I just beat for free).  

We’ll shoot 10 days this season, I won’t sleep the night before worrying.  

I also work full time and have a wife and 2 children.  

I wouldn’t want it any other way!!!!!

If all that makes me a feeder (in some peoples eye’s)  then so be it. 

People like yourself are the backbone of the small to medium game shoots ( the big ones would normally have a paid keeper , plus a house and most if not all the expenses paid for )  , I have also been going on a similar shoot to yours just south of Norwich for the last 20 or so years , all the main helpers are in full time employment as although it is your hobby the house hold bills still have to be paid so all the work have to be done before work , after work and at weekends .

We also have around ten days , I say we, as I like to think I am part of the team , now I am getting on a bit I am promoted , or demoted whatever way you look at it to drive the beaters from one drive to the next and then end up parking near the guns motors , I then stand with my dog behind any guns without a dog , we do have picker ups but as you know the quicker a wounded bird is retrieved the better .

We all enjoy a good day and we always feel for the keeper when things don't go exactly to plan as things can go wrong and sadly sometimes do go wrong , this is a stressful time of the year for a keeper or as some would call a Pheasant feeder but for the sake of a bit of Pigeon shooting there is no need to make it more stressful than what it already is .

GOOD LUCK over the next few months.