Perhaps you could paint the kitchen

GingerCat

Perhaps not was the reply my dearest other half recieved. The problem was she was right. It needed doing but I didn't fancy it. 

I've scouted the fields and seen precious few birds, nothing resembling a flightline and I had maybe 5 cartridges left. I decided that I was going out regardless so popped to the local country store, they took me to the coldest room I've been in this year, perhaps ever, and showed me a motley selection of cartridges. Not wanting to buy a slab I choose 3 boxes of clear pigeon 30g fibre. I've not used them for years and wasn't a fan then but I had little choice as my pigeon power weren't in stock. 

I made my way to the farm and set up, shot 1 in an hour and watched a hobby chase swallows around the field.  The farmer came along with his hedge cutter so i moved to the other side and the same thing happened. 1 bird and he was unfortunate. He had popped over a hedge into the wind and stopped almost as he did so. A doddler. 

Sometimes its just nice to be out so i stuck it out. Whilst there I saw a few ducking down out of the tremendous wind along a hedge about as far away as could be. I debated just staying put but thought better of it and packed up. 

I walked the 400 yards or so and set up by a thick hedge with the wind mostly behind and slightly to my right. I had to tie the net with bungee cords to stop it taking off like a sail across the field.  

The field itself was barley stubble that has been left for a while and I had a wood 500 yards to my right, a copse 300 to my left and another deep wood about a mile away in front.  

No sooner had I got in my hide a fast low bird shot across the field, not to my decoys but close enough and I bagged him and added him to the 8 half shells I had out. Another came the same way and he soon joined his mate. Propped up on the stubble as I was too lazy to cut a stick.  Then like someone had turned a tap on they came thick and fast from every which way they fancied and i added them to the pattern as i went along. This had the desired effect and the birds that were going to the copse started to turn into the decoys.

Within about 40 minutes I'd gone from 2 sad slow birds to 17 of the most sporting birds I've shot for a long time. By 4pm I'd run out of time and had to pick my daughter up from nursery so called it a day with the birds still coming. I'm sure if I'd grovelled a bit on the phone I could have had another hour but it's not worth the price sometimes. 

I have to say the new clear pigeon did very well indeed, they hit hard and shot well out to a paced 50 yards more than once. I shall try some more in the future. 

nice to be out and get a result-paint the wall, drop her some flowers and make your return plans.

I finished repainting the last 6 (of 20) garden fence panels today as my penance, but off to sort my kit out for a few hours on a cultivated wheat stubble that I glassed this afternoon.

f.

Nice account of your bit of good fortune G C , me , Mr JDog and one or two others are in the good position where we can do our chores on a wet day and earn the brownie points for the day we want some fresh air and a few pigeons , your turn will come G C , might be a few years away , but like they say , you cannot stop time .

Good luck with the painting ................................ when you find time

😊

21 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Perhaps not was the reply my dearest other half recieved. The problem was she was right. It needed doing but I didn't fancy it. 

I've scouted the fields and seen precious few birds, nothing resembling a flightline and I had maybe 5 cartridges left. I decided that I was going out regardless so popped to the local country store, they took me to the coldest room I've been in this year, perhaps ever, and showed me a motley selection of cartridges. Not wanting to buy a slab I choose 3 boxes of clear pigeon 30g fibre. I've not used them for years and wasn't a fan then but I had little choice as my pigeon power weren't in stock. 

I made my way to the farm and set up, shot 1 in an hour and watched a hobby chase swallows around the field.  The farmer came along with his hedge cutter so i moved to the other side and the same thing happened. 1 bird and he was unfortunate. He had popped over a hedge into the wind and stopped almost as he did so. A doddler. 

Sometimes its just nice to be out so i stuck it out. Whilst there I saw a few ducking down out of the tremendous wind along a hedge about as far away as could be. I debated just staying put but thought better of it and packed up. 

I walked the 400 yards or so and set up by a thick hedge with the wind mostly behind and slightly to my right. I had to tie the net with bungee cords to stop it taking off like a sail across the field.  

The field itself was barley stubble that has been left for a while and I had a wood 500 yards to my right, a copse 300 to my left and another deep wood about a mile away in front.  

No sooner had I got in my hide a fast low bird shot across the field, not to my decoys but close enough and I bagged him and added him to the 8 half shells I had out. Another came the same way and he soon joined his mate. Propped up on the stubble as I was too lazy to cut a stick.  Then like someone had turned a tap on they came thick and fast from every which way they fancied and i added them to the pattern as i went along. This had the desired effect and the birds that were going to the copse started to turn into the decoys.

Within about 40 minutes I'd gone from 2 sad slow birds to 17 of the most sporting birds I've shot for a long time. By 4pm I'd run out of time and had to pick my daughter up from nursery so called it a day with the birds still coming. I'm sure if I'd grovelled a bit on the phone I could have had another hour but it's not worth the price sometimes. 

I have to say the new clear pigeon did very well indeed, they hit hard and shot well out to a paced 50 yards more than once. I shall try some more in the future. 

I tried painting last year and ended up with RSI in my shooting shoulder, only just getting better now!

3 hours ago, JMsTV said:

Excluding over runs but clear pigeon is all I use ,On pigeons and game since they changed them back to a clear case I find them as hard hitting as anything else  

I also used Clear Pigeon for many years and got through several 1000 , then the price went up and up and the money back on Pigeons went down , so only on a pension I had to look for a cheaper cartridge and the last couple of years I have used all sorts of different shells , most of them were bought at our local sporting auction , at the moment I am using Pigeon Power , 29 gms , another very hard hitting cartridge .

Would there been any different in performance from the recent Black case than the original clear case ?

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I also used Clear Pigeon for many years and got through several 1000 , then the price went up and up and the money back on Pigeons went down , so only on a pension I had to look for a cheaper cartridge and the last couple of years I have used all sorts of different shells , most of them were bought at our local sporting auction , at the moment I am using Pigeon Power , 29 gms , another very hard hitting cartridge .

Would there been any different in performance from the recent Black case than the original clear case ?

I first used clear pigeon 32g and don't rate them, especially for the price. I tried all sorts in between and fell on pigeon power 29g which, as you say  hit hard and perform very well. My next fav was romagnola I'm 32g fibre 6s  (uk 5 and  by Christ they hit hard and pattern well). Sadly the green ones that smell weird as jdog put it aren't that easy near me to buy so pigeon power it's been for a long while, certainly between clay shooting where I sometimes get 28g of jockers in 7.5 (uk7). 

Most recently tried the new clear case clear pigeon and was very impressed. They seem faster (in the head maybe) but perform very well and did the business. I used 25 for 17 and a couple were second barrels where perhaps only one was needed on a quartering bird.  I will buy some more. Try a box or 2 and see how you get on. 

Edited by GingerCat

2 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I first used clear pigeon 32g and don't rate them, especially for the price. I tried all sorts in between and fell on pigeon power 29g which, as you say  hit hard and perform very well. My next fav was romagnola I'm 32g fibre 6s  (uk 5 and  by Christ they hit hard and pattern well). Sadly the green ones that smell weird as jdog put it aren't that easy near me to buy do pigeon power it's been for a long while, certainly between clay shooting where I sometimes get 28g of jockers in 7.5 (uk7). 

Most recently tried the new clear case clear pigeon and was very impressed. They seem faster (in the head maybe) but perform very well and did the business. I used 25 for 17 and a couple were second barrels where perhaps only one was needed on a smattering bird.  I will buy some more. Try a box or 2 and see how you get on. 

I took a chap out for a days pigeon shooting and as a treat he bought me a couple of boxes of Clear Pigeon as he knew they were the shells I used , the only difference was I used 30 gm and the ones he bought me were 32 gm , you wouldn't believe the difference 2 gms made , they kicked more and I started to flinch a bit when I pulled the trigger , I wasn't sorry when I used them up and I have got no intention of buying any more .

I done a deal with Smoker Smith on the forum and he sent me a slab of the Pigeon Power that I am using at the moment and a slab of Fiocchi competition 28 gm which I maintained a good average and they certainly kill pigeons , we have got another sporting auction next week and my hand will go up a few times when the cartridges come up  , what I end up with , only time will tell .

You may be bidding against me Marsh man, I am looking for another semi but will be in the market for some cartridges as well, down to my last 300, took another 30 off some wheat stubble next to the house on Wednesday, then took the wife fishing on Thursday and ended with around 80 carp between us from 2 inches up to the best fish (caught by the wife ) of 4 pounds, we were trying out a new venue , so a busy week, 

I shoot almost any cartridges I can get cheap, used to use clear pigeon but now they are 248 quid a thousand I cant afford them,, I've been using some fibre wad RC 6's, through my hushpower 12 gauge add on sound moderator but nearly out of those as well, but at 212 a thousand they are not so bad, good even hit rate as well. but as long as they go bang and what I'm aiming at hits the ground I'm not too bothered what they are called😁

8 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

You may be bidding against me Marsh man, I am looking for another semi but will be in the market for some cartridges as well, down to my last 300, took another 30 off some wheat stubble next to the house on Wednesday, then took the wife fishing on Thursday and ended with around 80 carp between us from 2 inches up to the best fish (caught by the wife ) of 4 pounds, we were trying out a new venue , so a busy week, 

I shoot almost any cartridges I can get cheap, used to use clear pigeon but now they are 248 quid a thousand I cant afford them,, I've been using some fibre wad RC 6's, through my hushpower 12 gauge add on sound moderator but nearly out of those as well, but at 212 a thousand they are not so bad, good even hit rate as well. but as long as they go bang and what I'm aiming at hits the ground I'm not too bothered what they are called😁

Hi Alan ..... The viewing is Wednesday afternoon ( 2pm till 4pm ) , you can look online but there are a lot more guns ect at the sale ground then there is online , the cartridges last time were £40 / £45 a slab plus buyers premium , last time I bought 400 Gamebore Velocity , a slab of White Gold and a slab of Rotweil game cartridges , adding up the retail price and what it cost me I saved about £40 .

48 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I took a chap out for a days pigeon shooting and as a treat he bought me a couple of boxes of Clear Pigeon as he knew they were the shells I used , the only difference was I used 30 gm and the ones he bought me were 32 gm , you wouldn't believe the difference 2 gms made , they kicked more and I started to flinch a bit when I pulled the trigger , I wasn't sorry when I used them up and I have got no intention of buying any more .

I done a deal with Smoker Smith on the forum and he sent me a slab of the Pigeon Power that I am using at the moment and a slab of Fiocchi competition 28 gm which I maintained a good average and they certainly kill pigeons , we have got another sporting auction next week and my hand will go up a few times when the cartridges come up  , what I end up with , only time will tell .

I didn't find any appreciable difference from the pigeon power 29g to the clear pigeon, if that helps.