New case reline

alan123shooting

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next stage is to cover the inside of lid , hinge, the back, the base and the lock upright.  This is one piece of baize. Measure the width (across)  of the lid, add 1/2 inch overlap  each side, that width measurement is the same for the back base and front edge. Measure the depth of the lid, the back, base and the front add 2inches to the total to-give a; overlap for trimming. As before just mark your measurement make a small cut and tear the baize it will tear will be straight. 

A word of warning, once you start do not stop, as you will end up with glue lines as the glue edges will set ensure you have sufficient glue to complete the job. However if this does happen, they can be removed with a warm iron and brown paper. The iron remelts the glue and the brown paper protects the baize , light pressure is applied so the glue does not soak through. So for this reason I could not take a series of photos 

So with your large brush,  apply a band of glue about 3-4 inches wide across the lid,  ensure the glue is in the corners, apply the baize ensuring the is an overlap all round smooth down with the damp cloth.  Pull the baize back 1/2 inch apply more glue in another band width, overlapping the 1/2 inch smooth the baize and repeat. Work the baize around the hinge area down the back section. Use the same process for the base and the front section. Trim the excess when the glue has dried sufficiently trim the excess of  the lid width to start of the back section at a 45 angle. The  front edge needs to have the excess trimmed just under the stitch line. . The edges  may need  baize added if there is no partitioning for that section, measure the size needed carefully add the glue to the edge and  smooth the baize and trim the excess ,you should end up with something looking like this 

810335D5-70AE-4960-AF04-1E79DF1349AC.jpeg

Edited by alan123shooting

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that is a georgeous colour baize...............

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that is a georgeous colour baize...............

It is French Navy  it’s available from Fabrics UK £24 a meter , the cloth is 180cm (6 foot ) wide  a 2 meter length is enough for three normal size cases

Just now, alan123shooting said:

It is French Navy  it’s available from Fabrics UK £24 a meter , the cloth is 180cm (6 foot ) wide  a 2 meter length is enough for three normal size cases

i have always intended to mount my 1800's salmon rods on blue baize background.......and now know what colour i will use 

Ok we are now ready to assemble the inside. Start top left ( part no1) the barrel section apply the on the bare wood a small dab of glue is applied and place in its position,  refer to the photo you have taken. To make sure that there are no gaps, clamp it with the clamps, use strips of card to protect the baize and the leather outside. 

E0465681-2B01-4309-BC00-2974701A28D6.jpeg

7A680F71-EB93-4A01-82F2-A962CF5B3397.jpeg

Work your way through the parts, applying the glue carefully to the bare wood of each part, ensure you do not get it on the baize. Make sure  your hands are glue free by wiping your hands with the damp cloth. To strengthen  the joints further you need to use the panel pins, where the partitioning meet the outside edge pin through the case into the partitioning position the pin on the stitch hole. Once the pin has been knocked home, further drive the pin with a pin punch 

79347AAF-C7FF-44E3-9DCF-5ABEBD60AF8B.jpeg

0D713484-C466-45D3-A05A-76AAEB3EEF94.jpeg

D55E893B-E2B9-4B3F-83E6-5B3A1E6EBE39.jpeg.3c503b4ff423b48318a4f6d2da9cb130.jpegThe last job is to apply the label,  should sit in the middle of the lid lightly mark the top two corners with a pencil, apply the glue to the back of the label and line up with the pencil marks and apply gentle pressure with a dry cloth and you should end up with the label stuck, if you have any glue on the label wipe over with a lightly damp cloth,

this is the end product 

Here are a list of suppliers

The baize came from Fabrics U.K. www. fabricsuk.co.uk £24.95 per metre the cloth is 180 cm wide ( approx six foot wide 

leather and leather work tools and sundries from Le prevo leather www.leprevo.co.uk  

You can get most items on eBay or amazon but it is an expensive way of buying leather 

A great book for starting leather work is    Leather-working hand book by Valerie  Micheal IBN 0-304-3411-3 it will teach you the basics and rest is up to you. 

The pearl glue via amazon or eBay  about ££9.00 a kilo 

i hope this has been of help and always open to questions i’m In the process of renovating another case and I will add how to clean heavily tarnished brass corners so they are clean but not eBay shiny as seen on the cases being sold on eBay  

Sorry the chap took the case without bringing the gun so I do not have any pictures,  there is a prospect of me renovating another case for him so I will ask him to bring gun and case so I can take photos

I  have added this as I cleaned the brass work on a double case I’m doing today so I thought I would share this . 

20EBAE5A-A86F-46C8-A984-16A236DA0099.jpeg

As you can see the the brass is quiet dirty and heavy tarnish. If you want to remove it but not end up  ultra shiny brass which spoiled the overall  finish 

Mix the following 

two tablespoons of table salt,  1/ 4 pint. Of white vinegar and plain flour. Mix together into a stiff paste 

F9F2854A-5C9C-412C-A0D3-C3AC4CD82194.jpeg

651EF7F7-93C2-4B42-9C80-B416AF841628.jpeg

CFE30C3D-D2C9-4BCD-8469-0056FC9D518C.jpeg

925AEBC9-A0D8-49DF-94B4-34BD42482DB0.jpeg

Lay out a sheet of card put the brass work on it and with a brush paint the paste on  and leave overnight or until the paste starts to turn green. This is the tarnish lifting off. Wash of with washing up liquid dry and the brass will look like this 

A9E5F3E2-478C-4BF0-B77D-23E1365C95C1.jpeg

You will notice that there is copper tinge this caus3 by the salt  remove this with oooo wire wool and meths 

0A83A3D6-2048-4BA7-AFE5-CFCD517D670D.jpeg

Finished items in place 

53BBFBDF-ABCD-4ABC-98F7-52C8259BB161.jpeg