Mighty Mariner to the rescue.

JDog

This morning I had to look out my Collins Complete Guide to British Birds and remind myself what a wood pigeon looked like. Thankfully there was a photograph on page 157. These have been lean times on the Wolds.

MM was delayed at work so I abandoned the intended meeting place to drive to some bean stubble which had been ploughed, then a wheat stubble which had tractors and trailers all over it collecting bales. An hour later I returned to the original meeting place. There were a few pigeons on a bean stubble which we couldn't shoot so we decided to try to intercept birds on their way to a bean fest on barley stubble over which MM had permission. This was easier said than done with a 20 mph and gusting wind blowing across our hide positions. MM set up just off the line, a position he abandoned. He then moved on the line but he didn't feel up to shooting so he cleared away his kit and came to coach me from my hide.

The only birds which were 'straight forward', ie easy birds committed to the pattern, I missed. Pigeons flying about on the wind with gay abandon at some distance from the hide I shot. After two hours of shooting I packed up and with Jasper's help I picked 42 pigeons, 30 of which were young birds.

On the way to the game dealer I saw fifteen Pinks on a stubble and when I returned along the same road there were eighty on the other side of the road. I am led to believe that this is early for this part of the world.

Edited by JDog

That sounds more like it Jdog. A couple of hours sport like that is the best in my opinion, rather than an all day stint for a few more.  

I’ve been out once a week for the past 4 after a good mornings work, not set up before 2.30 on any occasion and had some great sport every time for 3-4hrs. Seen lots of young birds too! 

Never seen geese use any of the stubbles in my area though. 

Edited by Wilts#Dave

10 hours ago, JDog said:

This morning I had to look out my Collins Complete Guide to British Birds and remind myself what a wood pigeon looked like. Thankfully there was a photograph on page 157. These have been lean times on the Wolds.

MM was delayed at work so I abandoned the intended meeting place to drive to some bean stubble which had been ploughed, then a wheat stubble which had tractors and trailers all over it collecting bales. An hour later I returned to the original meeting place. There were a few pigeons on a bean stubble which we couldn't shoot so we decided to try to intercept birds on their way to a bean fest on barley stubble over which MM had permission. This was easier said than done with a 20 mph and gusting wind blowing across our hide positions. MM set up just off the line, a position he abandoned. He then moved on the line but he didn't feel up to shooting so he cleared away his kit and came to coach me from my hide.

The only birds which were 'straight forward', ie easy birds committed to the pattern, I missed. Pigeons flying about on the wind with gay abandon at some distance from the hide I shot. After two hours of shooting I packed up and with Jasper's help I picked 42 pigeons, 30 of which were young birds.

On the way to the game dealer I saw fifteen Pinks on a stubble and when I returned along the same road there were eighty on the other side of the road. I am led to believe that this is early for this part of the world.

Getting reports of Pinks in the NW, a report also of some skeins flying east towards Lincs on Tuesday! This is a couple of weeks early I understand?

We have all been through lean times in the past and no doubt we will again in the future , but weather we chase fowl , game or pigeons the tide will finally change and in your case a afternoon like you just had was well worth waiting for .

One interesting point I picked up on in your report was the bag had around 75% young ones in the 40 odd you got .

I was out Wednesday afternoon and if I had shot at all the young ones my average to young would have been about the same , I was on the same crop as last Saturday and many times I had the odd young one walking around the decoys , weather I am getting soft or not but the very easy young ones I now leave to fight another day , in the end I picked up 38 and it worked out roughly about half with young and old , one thing for certain is they have had a very good breeding year .

I was surprised he shot so many.

Only because I didn't think there were that many about, not because of his ability.

I am glad he did though, I was useless. Couldn't get into the groove and wasn't in the best frame of mind, so I thought it best to pack up and give JDog some tips, which I think he was pleased of.

3 hours ago, Mightymariner said:

I was surprised he shot so many.

Only because I didn't think there were that many about, not because of his ability.

I am glad he did though, I was useless. Couldn't get into the groove and wasn't in the best frame of mind, so I thought it best to pack up and give JDog some tips, which I think he was pleased of.

Good on you, I hope your shouted "doddler" as much as you could as well.