Neighbour issues

LondonLuke

9 minutes ago, LondonLuke said:

Thank you all. Seems worth mentioning to either DVLA or police - not sure which would deal with driving on foreign plates but maybe mention to both

Am glad they have not upgraded to helicopter just yet but what an excellent story!

The woman is about 65ish and is the single least reasonable person you can imagine. There are complaints and complaints about her and she is beyond sense if you try and actually speak to her. There is a shared driveway which she thinks she owns and if we are out there for five minutes to load something she rushes out she will sit on her horn until they move. There is no asking nor even stopping the horn as you get into your car. Even though all she does is drive out, drive round the block, and drive back in - just to prove a point!

Maybe some sharp tacks spread liberally are the answer

Report to the Police, query her MH and fitness to hold a driving licence. 

30 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

i think it would be better not to talk than make threats,just report to police

Just think instead of running to the police, its worth trying to speak to the person first hand if thats possible.

They may be reasonable.  They may not. If they're reasonable and listen to sense, jobs a good un. If they are unreasonable and continue with bad driving, then go to the police who likely will be stretched as it is and either wont have time or inclination to investigate. And if they do investigate, it will be the complainants word against the driver. Unless other folk are willing to put in corroborating statements. And if its just one persons word against anothers, the police can only really advise the driver to screw the heid. Which, in that case, you would be as well speaking to the driver yourself.

Yes, we're all duty bound and more importantly,  morally bound to report wrong doing but sometimes common sense needs to be applied to try and resolve a situation first before wasting police time. Then if that fails,  call the police. 

7 hours ago, LondonLuke said:

The woman is about 65ish and is the single least reasonable person you can imagine. There are complaints and complaints about her and she is beyond sense if you try and actually speak to her. There is a shared driveway which she thinks she owns and if we are out there for five minutes to load something she rushes out she will sit on her horn until they move.

It sounds very much like a mental issue.

9 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

Just think instead of running to the police, its worth trying to speak to the person first hand if thats possible.

They may be reasonable.  They may not. If they're reasonable and listen to sense, jobs a good un. If they are unreasonable and continue with bad driving, then go to the police who likely will be stretched as it is and either wont have time or inclination to investigate. And if they do investigate, it will be the complainants word against the driver. Unless other folk are willing to put in corroborating statements. And if its just one persons word against anothers, the police can only really advise the driver to screw the heid. Which, in that case, you would be as well speaking to the driver yourself.

Yes, we're all duty bound and more importantly,  morally bound to report wrong doing but sometimes common sense needs to be applied to try and resolve a situation first before wasting police time. Then if that fails,  call the police. 

If someone is however a bit loose in the mind and displaying the kind of anti-social and aggressive behaviour that the OP is on about, going to talk to them will just serve to tell them who later puts in a complaints to the Police or council. 

May as well just paint a target on your own back. 

To the OP, also request your GP / report it to your GP and say you have huge concerns about changes in their cognition and disinhibited behaviour. 

It could be signs of frontal temporal dementia - I have worked with a lot of people who ‘develop’ anti social or challenging behaviour and it’s from reduced blood flow or damage to the frontal lobe. 

Not guaranteed but could be.

Again, ask the GP about fitness to hold a driving licence.

43 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

If someone is however a bit loose in the mind and displaying the kind of anti-social and aggressive behaviour that the OP is on about, going to talk to them will just serve to tell them who later puts in a complaints to the Police or council. 

May as well just paint a target on your own back. 

The op added more info regarding the persons possible mental condition after i posted my last reply.

However,  I maintain that folk nowadays are too keen to run to the authorities when the first thought should be try and resolve the situation first before potentially wasting others time. 

Obviously if its something serious,  contact the police as your first resort

Have you thought about contacting the Council regarding her anti social behaviour, which in this case would be her sounding the horn for no reason.  You could mention to the Council that you have concerns for the neighbours (mental) health, then the 'balls in their court' so to speak!  It may be the case that she really does need some help, so, in a way, you could be helping her.  

A problem when dealing with bureaucrats, be they local council, police etc., is that everything they do has to be evidence based. So, should you decide to go down that route could I suggest before doing so you keep a diary of her behaviour / incidents. It would be a lot more persuasive than a string of anecdotes.

Regarding the car, as has been said, after 6 months in the UK the owner is obliged to register with DVLA and fit UK plates. Otherwise the car owner is untraceable and flies under the radar thus avoiding speeding / parking fines and road tax. Moreover without UK plates it is questionable whether she has UK based insurance or, even worse, any insurance at all. Being close to a school this is particularly worrying. This is without doubt a police matter and should be reported.

Edited by Bobba

Shared driveways are never a good idea - you may get on with the neighbour now, but who knows who will turn up next.

Do your neighbours own their property or do they rent? It might be worth speaking to the landlord - if they’re awkward with you then they’ll be awkward with him. Just touch base and see what’s what.

Neighbour disputes are disclosable on a sale and are the easiest way to take money off your own property. You escalate anything in writing and you’re 100% on the record with it.

Round the part of London where the OP and I live foreign registered cars are everywhere with nobody appearing to check up on them to see if they have overstayed their allowed 6 months. Its the same with driving licences. Its highly unlikely the car is insured but the police don't get involved because its a time waster from their point of view trying to chase it all up. 

Contact the DVLA but get somebody else to do it, not being sneaky but because of the point Mungler makes about keeping the dispute off the record regarding your property

Thank you all and apologies for the slow reply.

I think it would be best for everyone if this is reported through the right channels (by me or by another) as then we have done all we can.

I think there is probably a deeper mental health issue, she is older (65?) and has lived around here for years and apparently used to be normal/friendly but now is fairly aggressive in her ways. As stated above it does seem in line with the antisocial/challenging behaviour mindset shift so is perhaps something that we might be helping her with long term.

To all of the diplomatic respondents to this topic.

While you are all being considerate towards this person in terms of going and having a quiet word or contacting the council/landlord/DVLA and possibly some I have missed. Think on this.

A school full of children expect to go home at the end of classes, one or more may not. Be it to the hospital or morgue under the wheels of this women's car.

It is the police' job to enforce the law, report it again and again and again until they do something. From the cop shows; if they can sit in wait for an hour or two to catch a DD suspect they can do something to stop this woman.

On 16/09/2019 at 11:47, LondonLuke said:

Thank you all and apologies for the slow reply.

I think it would be best for everyone if this is reported through the right channels (by me or by another) as then we have done all we can.

I think there is probably a deeper mental health issue, she is older (65?) and has lived around here for years and apparently used to be normal/friendly but now is fairly aggressive in her ways. As stated above it does seem in line with the antisocial/challenging behaviour mindset shift so is perhaps something that we might be helping her with long term.

Could she be around 75 and possibly had a German Father  ???

Don't suppose she has a small moustache too  ???