New GL Review!

NatureBoy

NE/DEFRA 12 week GL review underway!  GWCT calling for evidence. Either direct or through them New survey up on there site worth filling in. If you are not a member of the shooting and conservation orgs join!! WJ have just got a review on releasing pheasant/partridges easy enough! If they reviewing possible effects of game bird release  near these sensitive sites they should be looking at the effects of walkers, dog walkers, runners and cyclists to.

Going Minsmere/Sizewell near me Sunday. Big birder gathering there to protest/stop  Sizewell C Power station being built! Hoping to have some more interesting banter with and educate a few folk. I wonder if Packham will turn up! 😉 Will take  a few copies of GWCT's Working Conservationists 2 i have to show folks! As it has in it a local example of whats being done by us who are real hands on conservationists! That are shooters. farmers and country people with no agenda! People that have a genuine passion for and knowledge of the countryside wildlife and conservation that few would understand because a lot of us have been born to it!   NB

25 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Any links for the survey? 

There ya go OF! Daivids answered that one! Cheers David! Didn't realise BASC  or GWCT running it. I am a member of both to but had no notification. I only found  out from farmer mate earlier today that had done survey who is as passionate as me! Guess they inform different levels of membership first? Lets keep on top of this folks and NE DEFRA etc support us and realise who the real conservationists are that have no political agenda! But they have got to support and work with farmers and shooters to find a balance that will work!   NB

1 hour ago, NatureBoy said:

There ya go OF! Daivids answered that one! Cheers David! Didn't realise BASC  or GWCT running it. I am a member of both to but had no notification. I only found  out from farmer mate earlier today that had done survey who is as passionate as me! Guess they inform different levels of membership first? Lets keep on top of this folks and NE DEFRA etcsupport us and realise who the real conservationists are that have no political agenda! But they have got to support and work with farmers and shooters to find a balance that will work!   NB

Defra only released the survey yesterday and the CA emailed their members about it today............. That's what I call proactive, well done the Countryside Alliance.

There is a real danger of 'survey fatigue' right now and as a result some of us may miss opportunities to do our bit before it is too late.

If anyone has yet to respond to the Home Office firearms licensing consultation please click the link below and respond by Tuesday 17 Sept. The outcome will impact on all of us shooting in England, Wales and Scotland and time is running out to have your say.
https://basc.org.uk/firearmsconsultation/

For anyone shooting or trapping pest birds in Scotland a survey ends on 9 October. Click the following link to take part
https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/2019GL/

Turning to the 12 weeks Defra general licences survey that launched yesterday, the survey link is here:
https://consult.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-management/wild-birds-general-licence-survey/

BASC reviewed the Defra survey and some initial advice we published is as follows:

The survey will take around 30 minutes to complete and is not a quick 'tick box' exercise. Some advice on completing the survey is as follows:

1. Download a copy of all the survey questions before you complete the online survey.
https://consult.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-management/wild-birds-general-licence-survey/supporting_documents/wildbirdsgenerallicencesurveydocument1.pdf

2. At the start of the survey you will be asked for your name and email address, general questions on how you use general licences and which organisations you are a member of.

3. In sections A to C there are questions asking you to choose bird species that you think should continue to be included on general licences and up to five bird species that you think should be added to general licences.

Your answers to these questions will only be registered if you include reasons to support each of your answers. BASC recommend that you use your own field observations and experience as reasons to support your answers. Practitioner evidence during the review is going to be very important to cover areas where scientific evidence might be limited.

You do not have to answer all the questions.

4. We recommend that you only answer the questions where you feel you can provide a valid reason to back up your answer. Remember, just ticking lots of boxes with no reasons given is pointless as your answers will not be registered.

5. In section D there are questions asking for your views and experience about non-lethal methods of managing bird species on general licences.

6. In section E there are questions about what kinds of records you keep and how long it takes you to make these records.

7. In Section F there are questions inviting any wider views on general licences.

Click the link below for more info on the survey and latest info on general licences in England.
https://basc.org.uk/gl/england/