Oh Dear!

discobob

Dragging the court case into this thread seems odd and just a bit desperate. He was found not guilty of assault and walked from that court without a stain on his character,

Phrases like "plenty of smoke billowing about the whole sit" and "there’s a lot of ‘Grey’ here" detract from this thread and are, to be blunt, just stupid. They show a basic lack of understanding of the judicial system or the law on libel.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the court case thing is entirely irrelevant to what’s being discussed here and in any case he was found not guilty. 

Still waiting for the odd answer or two to legitimate questions that have been asked. 

Edited by Hamster

Still waiting for the odd answer or two to legitimate questions that have been asked. 

The silence is deafening.

I find it odd that people join the forum, instantly post on a specific thread, making little if any sense, can't spell, make some snide remarks and disappear. It hardly helps their cause.

22 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

This comment speaks volumes 

Screenshot_20200219-092537.jpg.42c2225843e4b04bc7a493f5ec3b3dd6.jpg

Of course it may not be true, but the silence from him is deafening.

Definitely looks like an NDA is in place and in my opinion that wreaks of wrong doing. But I could be wrong.

Maybe the Thursday club will be back to reveal all, but I doubt it.

It's not like Ben to delete posts!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I think the attempt made by new posters to bring in that "punch" story into the thread might have been an attempt to make the forum liable for libel, good going everyone for defusing this one, but apparently, there is a lot of underhand craft going on to stiffen the discussion.

I propose we all take care to stick to the topic; as it's been mentioned, NDAs or "agreements" are only bindings to the signatories, so it can be discussed and speculated upon by anyone/everyone.

On 14/02/2020 at 13:02, grrclark said:

You maybe don’t shoot competitively so don’t have a particular take on this, but plenty folk on PW do.

The merits of this discussion, some joshing about potential social media aliases aside, is actually intrinsic to the integrity and honesty of our sport.

I’m never going to win a world championship so if Ben did cheat it would not deny me a podium place, but how the governing bodies react to any cheating is very consequential.

If a man at the highest level of the game, through his abilities and with the stature of his profile, developed by himself, has been found to have cheated, without apparent sanction, then that suggests to others who might be tempted to do the same that the consequence isn’t so bad. That does have an impact on me and everyone else who competes honestly.

I spend thousands of pounds per year competing, it’s my hobby and i enjoy the honest competitive environment even if i don’t win, but if there is no clear sanction to discourage cheating why should I do that? 

Why bother trying to improve and measure yourself against the very best if they are not acting with honesty and integrity?

That is what is at the heart of this topic.

All we know is the DQ still stands and the appeals process was concluded, but what did it conclude?  Certainly no reinstatement so there is no innocent verdict, but equally the reason for the DQ is not published so no clear guilty verdict of cheating either. Guilty of some rules infringement though.

That ambiguity is why folk will consider the public profile, behaviour and reputation of Ben and use that as part of an opinion forming process, this community is entitled to discuss that.

That discussion, so long as it is respectful and considered, is not a witch hunt or “haters” trying to do harm, it is a perfectly legitimate discussion of concern about the integrity and reputation of our sport and those charged with maintaining that.

The man also has a right to reply and as a contributor to this thread already that right to reply is clearly established, it is in fact being encouraged.

I have followed this rather distasteful saga for the last 6 months, since Northwood first announced the disqualification way back in the late summer of last year. I no longer shoot competitive clays, having dropped out of my local club and sold my dedicated clay gun  some years ago. I now prefer game shooting with long term friends who shoot for pleasure and the companionship rather than mixing with the pros trying to earn a living from the clay circuit at any cost and their coaching. However, I do casually follow whats going on and how guns, cartridges, skills and shooting grounds have progressed in the clay scene over the years. The above erudite post sums up my thoughts about this sad saga totally, however my reservations class me as a `hater` by his fanboys, if I dare express my view that this matter has done clay shooting per se no favours.

As others have said, we shouldnt be raking over what he did as a rugby player, and was subsequently found not guilty. Thankfully, down to our astute set of moderators the `fan boys` or mischief makers who made a brief appearance on his behalf have been outed, and if anyone was hoping for a further revealing response from them, you live in cloud cuckoo land.

Will the discredited individual come clean on this matter on an open forum ? As they say in my neck of the woods; `you are having a laugh`.

The truth, as always will slowly come out. However, if you are expecting a baring of souls exclusive to Pigeon Watch, you are in for a long wait.

Edited by JJsDad