Nice unexpected result

getthegat

Due to work and home commitments, I rarely get out to shoot other than on a Saturday morning; not ideal, but retirement is not that far away and I'm told one has LOTS of free time then 🤗

I've been watching one of the last stubble fields all this week and at times, pigeons have been flocking to it, though as usual, they seem to come in large numbers, rather than a stream of traffic.

So the morning arrived and after helping move girlfriends son, into a new flat, a nightmare journey through central London on a Friday night and a rubbish nights sleep, I'm trashed and chosen field is deserted. 

With no other choice, I set up in the middle of the field under a telephone pole, with a camo tarp behind me and remnants of barley and weeds, plus net, in front. In a vane attempt to drag in anything that passes within a hundred yards, I put 10 shell and 3 full bodied crow deeks to my right on a patch of cultivated ground, then 12 shell pigeons out front. Behind the hide, about 40 yards away, is one floater and to my left out front are 6 Fuds and 1 forty plus year old full bodied. The magnet with silosocs is a bit further away and to the left, is one more floater about 40 yards on from there. Unfortunately one of my batteries has died, so no flapper today.

Customers are slow to appear and I'm glad I brought the corvid deeks, as crows and jackdaws ( normally my nemesis) are the only passing trade. Surprisingly, just about every black is dropped, even with the cheap 7.5 twenty eight gram cartridges.

Just when I'm thinking I may as well take a nap, a trickle of woodies starts and chancing my arm, I take a few longish shots, giving Soph something to do, at last. A lot go over well out of reach, but some venture close enough and are dropped, usually with the first shot and the odd couple with the second. By 12.00 they are coming well and both man and dog are happy 😁, a mix of old and juvenile birds.

I had to pack up just after 1.15 ( best time still to come, I hear many of you shout) but remember the "C" word at the beginning; commitments😞. Anyway, we picked up and packed up, bagging one more as we did so, and had a final total of 21 woodies and 8 corvids from 38 shots. 

The sun was just coming over my tarp and the wind was blowing my weak hide material every now and then, so perhaps the time was right to call it a day. But a good and surprising few hours.

Love unexpected sport like that, and sounds like you were deserving of it as well! 

I must admit I can’t show such restraint when it comes to packing up when pigeons are still coming, and invariably feel the wrath when I get back later than planned! 

I’m sure had you stayed on the best was definitely still to come, hopefully you might be able to stay a bit longer next time? 

Don't you believe all you hear about retirement about having more time for shooting , as one day a week we have to stock up with provisions , although if we are back home early enough I sometimes get a couple of hours in on top of my other six days :lol:

I am really glad you got some nice shooting , well deserved and good luck when you go again :good: