Unexpected bag

muncher

Motty was unavailable today and I spent the morning loading goose cartridges ,any way I thought I would have a little go in the afternoon on some wheat stubble, I had looked at it and there were a few about but I was not expecting anymore than about 20 . So I set up in a small dyke with the rotary behind me and 8 shell decoys not much moving at first but a trickle started and I soon had 10 down. All of a sudden it became quite busy,so I called my brother and asked if he wanted to join me, he did he arrived at 2 and set up 70 yards further down and flighted the ones not decoying. I suddenly started to shoot very poorly but my brother was still taking some very nice birds. I wanted to be home to watch Norwich paly Man city ,so we packed up at 4. 30 and picked up 168 and a crow.

IMG-20190914-170154994.jpg

11 minutes ago, muncher said:

Motty was unavailable today and I spent the morning loading goose cartridges ,any way I thought I would have a little go in the afternoon on some wheat stubble, I had looked at it and there were a few about but I was not expecting anymore than about 20 . So I set up in a small dyke with the rotary behind me and 8 shell decoys not much moving at first but a trickle started and I soon had 10 down. All of a sudden it became quite busy,so I called my brother and asked if he wanted to join me, he did he arrived at 2 and set up 70 yards further down and flighted the ones not decoying. I suddenly started to shoot very poorly but my brother was still taking some very nice birds. I wanted to be home to watch Norwich paly Man city ,so we packed up at 4. 30 and picked up 168 and a crow.

IMG-20190914-170154994.jpg

Two great results , yours and the canaries .

I am glad you spent a fair amount of time laying the bag out in the traditional Norfolk way .:good:

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, stugarford said:

As I had over 300 shots I might of left a few in the grass what I missed. Iā€™m colour blind so I have a job to see them all. You can keep the batteries. Have you got perm to be riding about on the field anywayĀ 

Let me get this right. You admit throwing the batteries in the ditch and blame colour blindness for not picking all of your cartridges up and you query someoneā€™s right to be in the field when they caught you out for yourĀ slovenly behaviour. Is that correct?

I always pick my cartridges up and yes if I mis a few in the grass like I said itā€™s down to my colour blindness. Iā€™ve shot over 500 pigeon on that field in last 2 weeks .Mat just wondering are we talking maybe a handful of spent cartridges. Hold my hands up I shouldnā€™t of left the little flapper battery . Shot the field over 40 years and iĀ would call it trespassing riding about on someoneā€™s field in your landy .

I must admit, I had never considered colour blindness when picking up empties. I wonder if the cartridge manufacturers have given this any thought.

It is easy to criticise when you donā€™t suffer these afflictions yourself. I think colour blindness is difficult to grasp unless you suffer from it.

Part of the problem with empty cartridge's being left behind nowadays is the type of guns being used , a lot of people now use three shot auto's , if you stand up to shoot you are covering a lot of angles and the cases will be going everywhere , if on an open stubble field they would still be fairly easy to find , but if you are on the edge of a dyke in long grass then they would be more difficult to find each and everyone , more so with someone firing 300 shots in one session .

As for colour blindness , I failed my first colour blind test to enter the Royal Navy , after sitting in a dark room for a while I then passed the second time , maybe I don't suffer as much as the ones above , but I can honestly say it haven't made any difference with me identifying wildfowl in all different lighting conditions and for shooting in general .

Ā 

Being colour blind doesn't stop you identifying fur or fowl, it's only a problem when colours merge or are close to each other. As an example if you put a red stick infront of a hedge almost all normal sighted folk would see it but for me I couldn't, dark blue and purple is the same. As for semi autos does every empty cartridge ejected on the Marsh at evening flight get picked up, I very much doubt it.Ā