On the Edge of the Wolds

Clodhopper

1iftbp.jpg1iftbp.jpg

Pigeon shooting has been something I only dream about at the minute, partly due to work commitments and more importantly a lack of any promising opportunities. The Wolds seem devoid of pigeons, the marshland has birds spread all over but with very few definitive lines. 

As JDog and I had not met for a while we decided we would have a look round our respective permissions and see what we could come up with for Saturday afternoon. Luckily on Wednesday, on route to work, I passed a field of freshly cut Beans which JDog has permission over. As we passed at great speed ( I was a passenger) I spied one or two birds dropping in. This field lies on the extreme edge of the Wolds, one end is undulating and the eastern end is flat as a pancake heading out to the marshland. It is a pig of a field to shoot as it borders a golf course and a main road. But after checking all our other land, this field is where we headed to try and make a bag.

We set up in the only safe position to shoot which, of course, was some way off the line that had a trickle of birds. Our target was set at 25 birds based on what we had seen from the half hour we spent watching. The hides were positioned under 2 Oak trees 70 yards apart. The wind was quartering off our left shoulders with a spread of plastic decoys, a handful of dead birds and a rotary.

The birds came steadily and we began to build the pattern with more dead birds. Not many decoyed but came off the line for a look at the pattern, close enough for a shot. We shot some good ones, missed some easy ones and did everything in between. As is customary JDog ran out of cartridges and had to pop home for some more ( and some chocolate bars). 

When it came to pack up we guessed at around 60 birds in the bag but were surprised to find we had eighty five in the 3 1/2 hours we shot. Although we do not really pay much attention to ratios I think we had around 200 shots for the bag. I care not really as we both enjoyed an afternoon which produced more than we expected.

In the end the bag to be had was neither on the flat ground or the high ground but right on the boundary between he two.

Great report of a session built on hope more than expectation, I honestly believe that birds are decoy shy at present even young birds. This is partially due to the amount of food available. In the depth of winter decoys give them a direction to an essential food source which they require to survive. 

Cant we all club together and buy JDog a larger cartridge bag?? Or is it a ploy that he hopes the birds see him with his hipster bag on the shoulder and that he is not a serious threat??

Thanks for reporting and well done to the both of you.

Edited by pigeon controller

5 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Great report of a session built on hope more than expectation, I honestly believe that birds are decoy shy at present even young birds. This is partially due to the amount of food available. In the depth of winter decoys give them a direction to an essential food source which they require to survive. 

Cant we all club together and buy JDog a larger cartridge bag?? Or is it a ploy that he hopes the birds see him with his hipster bag on the shoulder and that he is not a serious threat??

Thanks for reporting and well done to the both of you.

He is very fond of his Sparkling Pink cartridge bag, so a new 20 bore maybe the answer so he can get more shells in.

Like other reports from yesterday this one could have had ‘unexpected’ in the title.

Our favoured position was a no no due to the golf course. Our second choice would have been the flight line but the strong wind and the sun made that impossible. Our third choice was to try to pull birds off the line going to another field over the road which is what we did to some extent.

There will be another day there even though the fields are being cultivated today.